Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Perhaps rephrase that to "Is the Football Department making decisions that look as though they will strengthen the club for the future?" - NO.

Also "Have we unearthed any players who could be sold for profit?" The only one I can see is Arzani, and as he is out of contract at the end of the season and if he leaves at that point the answer to that question will also be a NO.

Hahaha imagine that, the only shining light of this season just walking out, tbh this most likely could happen

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, malloy said:

I am like a pendulum on how I feel about Wazza.

Yeah I've gone back and forth on him a few times this season. 

If we hold 3rd our path to a grand final will likely be Brisbane at home and Newcastle away, winnable games based on this seasons form. Asian football plus a grand final appearance would have me feeling very positive about Warren despite some obvious issues this season

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Is 3rd place straight into the group stages of champions league or is there play-offs first?

• If we win, we go straight through (Newcastle have the play-off)
  • If Sydney or Newcastle win then we will be in a play-off spot
  • If anyone below us (4th-6th) win the GF, then we get nothing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, haz said:
  • If we win, we go straight through (Newcastle have the play-off)
  • If Sydney or Newcastle win then we will be in a play-off spot
  • If anyone below us (4th-6th) win the GF, then we get nothing

@haz Would you be so kind as to post the link to where this is set out in the ACL rules? I'd like to keep the link for future reference.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@haz Would you be so kind as to post the link to where this is set out in the ACL rules? I'd like to keep the link for future reference.

Honestly I just remember it off the top of my head so I could be wrong.

I think the ACL site might have it

On 02/04/2018 at 7:41 AM, haz said:

Honestly I just remember it off the top of my head so I could be wrong.

I think the ACL site might have it

You're right, though. There's one spot for the regular season winner (i.e. Sydney), one for the runner-up and one for the GF winner. If either of the top two teams in the regular season win the GF then the third spot goes to highest league placement (i.e. third) as no team can qualify for the same tournament twice. Therefore, so long as we finish 3rd and no team below us wins the GF, we would get a place.

Edited by Falastur
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Falastur said:

You're right, though. There's one spot for the regular season winner (i.e. Sydney), one for the runner-up and one for the GF winner. If either of the top two teams in the regular season win the GF then the third spot goes to highest league placement (i.e. third) as no team can qualify for the same tournament twice. Therefore, so long as we finish 3rd and no team below us wins the GF, we would get a place.

*A playoff place.

Then we lose agaisnt some semi-pro minnow :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Falastur said:

IMO the easiest way of setting out the qualification criteria is as follows.

1. Wellington Phoenix cannot qualify for the ACL under any circumstances.

2.1 One (direct into group) place is for the Premier. The second (direct into group) place is for the Champion. If the Champion is the same club as the Premier, then the Champion's (direct into group) place is awarded to the losing grand finalist.

2.2 The (into the play-offs for group entry) place goes to the club in the highest league position that does not qualify for either of the (direct into group) places as set out in 2.1.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the easiest way of setting out the qualification criteria is as follows.

1. Wellington Phoenix cannot qualify for the ACL under any circumstances.

2.1 One (direct into group) place is for the Premier. The second (direct into group) place is for the Champion. If the Champion is the same club as the Premier, then the Champion's (direct into group) place is awarded to the losing grand finalist.

2.2 The (into the play-offs for group entry) place goes to the club in the highest league position that does not qualify for either of the (direct into group) places as set out in 2.1.

It would be easier if we just win the whole thing. Then we wouldnt be having this dicussion

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, so how would Wazza rate??

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/guardiola-s-skill-is-not-just-about-money-20180418-p4za90.html

Guardiola's skill is not just about money

By Paul Hayward
18 April 2018 — 10:21am

Every spring, we end up in a tangle over whether the manager of the year is the one with the silver pots or the one who turned water into wine with a side much higher in the table than they ought to be.

Somehow underrated: Pep Guardiola's season with Manchester City should not be devalued.

Somehow underrated: Pep Guardiola's season with Manchester City should not be devalued.

Photo: AP

Trophy winners versus overachievers is an annual slanging match. This year's is Pep Guardiola against Sean Dyche.

Thirty miles separate City's east Manchester Gulf state satellite and the unsponsored Turf Moor, home of the Clarets, who are a decent bet to finish above Arsenal in sixth position but are 35 points behind Guardiola's champions. Convention dictates that we say Burnley's whole team cost less than a City left-back and point out that the seventh-best team in the Premier League are not owned by a country or fuelled by sovereign wealth.

For the purposes of gong allocation, we insist on choosing between Guardiola and Dyche as the manager most worthy of a black-tie coronation.

The debate, however, is flawed. The fallacy is that one is merely achieving what money dictates, while the other is performing miracles of upward mobility.

This myth needs debunking. Guardiola was not destined by a balance sheet to win the league with a 16-point margin five games from the finish any more than Tottenham Hotspur's massively lower net spend condemns them to relegation struggles.

Plainly you get what you pay for in transfer fees and salaries, but you also end up where your manager's ability (or lack of it) steers you.

Fans of West Bromwich Albion will concur. As each new detail about Guardiola's management style emerges, curmudgeons have reverted to the one comeback likely to cast doubt on his accomplishment. City, they say, are chequebook champions, as if every other Premier League winner was put together with sticky-back plastic and cereal boxes, like a Blue Peter toy.

One detail particularly caught my eye. It was the claim that Guardiola lives in a "£2.7 million flat" in Manchester. If you live in a society where a Manchester flat can be bought for £2.7 million (or a flat anywhere), creative midfielders are probably going to cost £50 million.

When we rail against grotesque inequalities and extravagance in football, we are really railing against our polarised economic culture - of which football is a very accurate expression. Sovereign wealth funds owning football is akin to their owning The Shard, or part of Heathrow airport or all our giant amusement parks.

The idea that English football is a haven from globalisation - a refuge for community values - has been obliterated. Equally, an American speculator who runs a club by remote control is no more appealing as an ownership model than a Gulf state using the club as an international billboard, unless you extend the discussion to human rights, which, again, would have to include the whole of the British economy, with its laissez-faire financial system.

It was predictable that some Manchester United fans should throw human rights at City. And these are not trivial concerns, except when weaponised for the sake of convenience by jealous Mancunians. Yet they cannot be held against Guardiola as a reason to make Dyche manager of the year, because what he has accomplished is hard; a different kind of hard to what Burnley have done - but still hard, because City could have been like United: a collection of expensive individuals with no animating spirit.

They could have been like Paris St-Germain - a kind of luxury French boutique with no soul - or like Arsenal, flimsy and outmoded. The proof of Guardiola's brilliance this season can be seen in last season's campaign.

All the mistakes he made last year, and all the manpower deficiencies that were apparent (goalkeeper, full-backs), were corrected, even if Liverpool have raised more doubts about Guardiola's ability to win the Champions League without Lionel Messi.

City might have been decadent, inconsistent, clique-ridden, agent-disrupted, strolling rich kids. Instead, they are an extension of their manager's personality, as United were under Sir Alex Ferguson. So when Guardiola takes his place alongside Dyche, Rafael Benitez, David Wagner, Roy Hodgson, Jurgen Klopp, Chris Hughton and Eddie Howe (yes, the good-management list is long) in the annual beauty parade, he stands there as a football coach, not only as a spender of other people's money. His candidacy is based on improving individual players in a culture that generates scintillating football and fierce commitment.

The scintillating football bit is beyond Dyche at Turf Moor, but he too extracts more than could reasonably be expected from his resources, which he also adds to through good judgment. At a smaller club, he can cultivate an image of himself as bigger than the team, in the sense that the club would be bereft if he left.

Guardiola's selling point was that he alone could give City an identity, a grand design. But both he and Dyche are judged in the end on their coaching and management, which makes them more equal than their budgets suggest.

In the past 10 years or so, Steve Coppell (twice), Alan Pardew, David Moyes and Howe have all been League Managers' Association manager of the year - which tells you where professional sympathies lie, with the overachievers as much as the trophy-gatherers. This gives Dyche a good shot at the prize. But to call it romance versus money is a gross underestimation of Guardiola's work at City.

The Telegraph London

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HughJass said:

IMO no surprise. It was obviously a pass mark for him this season, but the job is only half done. Plenty of work still to do with individual players and with the team as a whole. CFG want us to be a genuine premiership threat every season rather than the "best of the rest."

Marwood and Joyce must be close mates. 

I wonder if they have a history. 

I still don't think he is a "City/CFG" type coach, but I think he is evolving possibly into one.

I'm not fully onboard still. He still has some serious flaws but at this point in time his pros are outweighing his cons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 3:41 PM, Jovan said:

Marwood and Joyce must be close mates. 

I wonder if they have a history. 

I still don't think he is a "City/CFG" type coach, but I think he is evolving possibly into one.

I'm not fully onboard still. He still has some serious flaws but at this point in time his pros are outweighing his cons.

They are.

These semi-finals results have just made me wonder WTF we didn't get Merrick as our manager? Of course I know the reason why (Marwood has never heard of him) but he's hugely experienced in the A-League and has turned Newcastle around in a single season.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

They are.

These semi-finals results have just made me wonder WTF we didn't get Merrick as our manager? Of course I know the reason why (Marwood has never heard of him) but he's hugely experienced in the A-League and has turned Newcastle around in a single season.

All in hindsight JW, Merrick was ordinary at NIX

6 minutes ago, haz said:

There's a MASSIVE amount of hindsight being utilized there. I remember there being more than a few shakes of the head and chuckles on this forum when Newy signed Merrick. If that had of been our coaching appointment I reckon this place would've imploded

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Embee said:

There's a MASSIVE amount of hindsight being utilized there. I remember there being more than a few shakes of the head and chuckles on this forum when Newy signed Merrick. If that had of been our coaching appointment I reckon this place would've imploded

This guy knows

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Well, of course there is. I'm just angry today. Probably angrier than I've ever been before, over our failure and Victory's success.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, haz said:

Football is a weakest link game. Merrick wasn't the weakest link at Phoenix, almost everything else was. Remember, the year that they had Nathan Burns? We beat a Merrick coached Phoenix in an Elimination Final. Jet's this year are very well resourced now that they've got rid of the bogan charlatan that had control of the club before, so Merrick can do better. 

Our weakest link is still our mentality, the problem is that Wazza is unlikely to be the coach that fixes it. I hope that I'm wrong

25 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Football is a weakest link game. Merrick wasn't the weakest link at Phoenix, almost everything else was. Remember, the year that they had Nathan Burns? We beat a Merrick coached Phoenix in an Elimination Final. Jet's this year are very well resourced now that they've got rid of the bogan charlatan that had control of the club before, so Merrick can do better. 

Our weakest link is still our mentality, the problem is that Wazza is unlikely to be the coach that fixes it. I hope that I'm wrong

If Waz can't fix it, no one can.

it's a upper management problem

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, haz said:

If Waz can't fix it, no one can.

it's a upper management problem

The only reason why I think that it isn't a senior management problem is that the problem seems confined to the men's team. I've always struggled to understand how senior management problems can be so damaging to the men's team but somehow doesn't affect the women's team or youth team.

49 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The only reason why I think that it isn't a senior management problem is that the problem seems confined to the men's team. I've always struggled to understand how senior management problems can be so damaging to the men's team but somehow doesn't affect the women's team or youth team.

They direct their attention to the men's team and leave the other two alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

No offence to Munn and Petrillo, but I don't think they're "hard" enough to make the tough decisions. Munn seems like the sort of person who will pat everyone on the back and say that having fun is what is most important.

Most people here already know my thoughts on Petrillo.

• Like 1