Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

My ideal would be Hiddink for 2 years with Millicic as assistant to take over once guus leaves

Guus is too old now, he has lost his authority, he would struggle keep all individuals in line. If he ever picks up a gig again, he would be more suited as a English style manager, where he doesn't have to be on the training field everyday.

His lack of creating cohesion and not dealing with ego individuals got him sacked as the National team manager. Guus style of managing recently has been that gives players to much freedom.

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Guus is too old now, he has lost his authority, he would struggle keep all individuals in line. If he ever picks up a gig again, he would be more suited as a English style manager, where he doesn't have to be on the training field everyday.

His lack of creating cohesion and not dealing with ego individuals got him sacked as the National team manager. Guus style of managing recently has been that gives players to much freedom.

Sure but we are talking european pros here, a few orders of magnitude above the Aleague. Would easily command respect Here given his history. Besides our issue is not player behaviour at all. It's a weak mentality. 

44 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe we do need a manager who is a little more removed from everyday training? Pretty much every time I see training videos of Heart/City I see our coaching team standing there watching, and JvS used to join in the ball skills exercises. Maybe our head coach needs more focus on the tactics? Aren't the assistants there for the routine stuff?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe we do need a manager who is a little more removed from everyday training? Pretty much every time I see training videos of Heart/City I see our coaching team standing there watching, and JvS used to join in the ball skills exercises. Maybe our head coach needs more focus on the tactics? Aren't the assistants there for the routine stuff?

Yeah maybe....saying that our recent managers were also too far removed from reality and common sense! 

10 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I always thought it would be the week before training commenced

Depends on the successful candidate in my opinion.

If they're currently unemployed I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced this week, otherwise I can see it dragging to the start of June.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

When does training start?

Technically, existing contracts run until 31st May 2017. So far we've released four players - Gameiro, Kuzi, Rose and Colazo (news item, Club web-site, 1st May). According to Valkanis, Sorensen has not been offered terms for next season, but there has been no official announcement; as you can see via Twitter he is still at Latrobe doing a coaching course along with Tim Cahill.

Usually the players take 4-5 weeks off - the overseas players a bit longer if they go back to their home country - before restarting training sometime in June. In the past there has been some information from the Club on this.

However, the Club news feed has been pretty much dead for the past week - not even the result of the NPL match vs. Moreland Zebras (which I understand was a 1-1 draw).

Best-guess answer to your question - sometime in June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

#VivasIn

What's with ripping his shirt after. Just weird. Fair enough kick something punch someone or just break shit up but pulling of the shirt and trying to shred it is just weird.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What's with ripping his shirt after. Just weird. Fair enough kick something punch someone or just break shit up but pulling of the shirt and trying to shred it is just weird.

Had to show off the back tatt

MELBOURNE City are expected to appoint their new coach by the end of the month.

While Michael Valkanis was in contention to keep the job in the final weeks of the season, it’s almost certain that he will not stay on as head coach after City’s disappointing end to the A-League season.

It’s understood that City Football Group will appoint an overseas coach, with Manchester-based football chief Brian Marwood leading the search.

City chief executive Scott Munn and Melbourne-based football chief Michael Petrillo arrived in Manchester today where they will speak to Marwood to sift through the final shortlist.

Munn and Petrillo return to Melbourne in a fortnight, and an announcement won’t be made until then.

The new coach will be in place by the time Melbourne City players return to training June 19.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-plans-to-appoint-overseas-coach-by-end-of-may/news-story/c303b9fc90c0fb5a6b62550ca72e0a24

On 2017-5-10 at 8:22 PM, belaguttman said:

...and it suggests that they are getting serious, the new coach will have an active role in player recruiting

That would be good. We really need an experienced coach with huge balls. One that will put a fire up the players asses. Would also be good to have Paddy learning off the new coach with a view of taking over. Paddy as an assistant would hopefully show these guys how they should play for the shirt rather then just cruise along like they did this season. It seemed like half the players didn't really want to be there or play...

Edited by PORCHO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

How about this guy   Christian Zeige German former champion,Former interim coach of Borusia Munchen gladbach. wants come to Australia .

Heard about that. Loved watching him when he played for Germany. Get onto it CFG!

if we werent in such shit and in desperate need of someone to overhaul the egos i would want scott miller to come in.  i thought he showed immense promise at newcastle. good signings. good shape to his team.  stood up to the owner and got the boot.  i would like one of the only 10 a league jobs to go to an australian.  but there are not many great options right now.  

i really dont want to get some used up english football hack.  it will be so dissapointing if pardew or keane or someone like hodgson comes in.

also

The club are expected to appoint their new coach by the end of the month and Thompson says they needs someone who will take charge.

"City have got a lot of players with strong personalities, so they need a coach with a strong personality above that," Thompson said.

"Someone with a big name who knows football and who is genuinely in charge. Someone who takes control and isn't persuaded by someone on his left or right, but who is his own man.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/05/16/melbourne-city-proved-you-cant-manufacture-greatness-so-whats-next

Edited by nah brah
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, nah brah said:

if we werent in such shit and in desperate need of someone to overhaul the egos i would want scott miller to come in.  i thought he showed immense promise at newcastle. good signings. good shape to his team.  stood up to the owner and got the boot.  i would like one of the only 10 a league jobs to go to an australian.  but there are not many great options right now.  

i really dont want to get some used up english football hack.  it will be so dissapointing if pardew or keane or someone like hodgson comes in.

also

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/05/16/melbourne-city-proved-you-cant-manufacture-greatness-so-whats-next

nah brah. But in all seriousness surely the club would have a little bit more ambition than bringing in a coach who was sacked by the bloody Jets...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

nah brah. But in all seriousness surely the club would have a little bit more ambition than bringing in a coach who was sacked by the bloody Jets...

Exactly.

We need a respected, imposing, and enforcer-type coach for 3 years who can get everyone on board within the first month or so and cull all the primadonnas and managerial team/players not suited.

He needs to smash the JVS culture to bits and eliminate anyone who doesn't want to do the same.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Exactly.

We need a respected, imposing, and enforcer-type coach for 3 years who can get everyone on board within the first month or so and cull all the primadonnas and managerial team/players not suited.

He needs to smash the JVS culture to bits and eliminate anyone who doesn't want to do the same.

Seriously though I don't think it matters so much (fwiw it does a bit) the type of personality style the manager brings. But what does matter and it was the first word you used is respect. When you have the players respect and they buy into your experiences, successes, ideas and philosophies then that's the biggest battle to overcome. None of our managers have ever had that, with JVS probably the closest. I've said it before and I said it before we hired JVS under City, I want us to bring in a manager that has had successful results. Show ambition with a manager that has a proven track record that knows how to put together a balanced squad that will acheive successful results. 

My elephant in the room though with this whole discussion is the parameters the CFG playing style puts on the new manager and his ability to implement it successfully. 

Edited by n i k o

I'm not that hung up on the personal characteristics of the new guy. 

The last 2 championship winning coaches Amor and Arnold are chalk and cheese but both obviously worthy.

My requirements would be

if its an experienced coach must have a proven track record over several seasons.  

Or if its a first time coach must have a super playing record individually and been involved in big winning teams. Ie Amor or Viera.

I know it's been stated ad nausea but the senior coach will determine our future for the next 5 to 10 seasons and get it wrong we are doomed to mediocrity. 

22 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

"if we werent in such shit and in desperate need of someone to overhaul the egos" - was how i started that point.

clearly we need someone with the personality to iron out the shit. tough job. impose their vision in the face of CFG interests while also grinding out a squad loaded with big egos and bad attitudes.  although scott miller seem to have discipline and determination about him,  i would not give this to someone with as little experience or respect attached to his name.  if it was a fresh start then yes. but right now we need a ramrod shafted through the club.  

i dont know many australian coaches who could fit the bill. of the few that do none are free.  

Edited by nah brah

2 hours ago, nah brah said:

"if we werent in such shit and in desperate need of someone to overhaul the egos" - was how i started that point.

clearly we need someone with the personality to iron out the shit. tough job. impose their vision in the face of CFG interests while also grinding out a squad loaded with big egos and bad attitudes.  although scott miller seem to have discipline and determination about him,  i would not give this to someone with as little experience or respect attached to his name.  if it was a fresh start then yes. but right now we need a ramrod shafted through the club.  

i dont know many australian coaches who could fit the bill. of the few that do none are free.  

We could have won 6 straight league titles with the most easy going, egoless side ever and Scott Miller would still be sn awful choice for any club woth ambition...

• Like 1