Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

12 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Warran Joyce is a hack. Coached united youth with the best youth players already and struggles to coach an average league side. He is a joke and i hope he can fix his own mistake. Plays a shit twig named Kamau, players a defender as a central mid and plays a shit keeper who had one lucky match and is not even playing our FUCKING MARQUEE

Hurry up and sign a forward already

Hurry up and sign a winger already

Or piss off somewhere else. If we wanted to concede this amount of goals, we would have kept JVS

Everyone is over this shit now

It's january 1.

Just now, jeffplz said:

It's january 1.

And we've already signed our forward/winger in Vidosic anyway.

Regardless, 3rd or bust for me. I highly doubt they'll sack Warren right after his first season but anything lower than the ACL places is an abject failure.

Don't know if he didn't have enough time to sort out the team because he came in late or he took Valkanis word on the players that they are good but now can see that there all useless. I'm not happy how he is making them play but it's only his first season and Arnold didn't do so well in his first season with Sydney to

3 minutes ago, Simo said:

Don't know if he didn't have enough time to sort out the team because he came in late or he took Valkanis word on the players that they are good but now can see that there all useless. I'm not happy how he is making them play but it's only his first season and Arnold didn't do so well in his first season with Sydney to

Not having that, personally. The squad, as per usual, is full of talent and is much better than what we're displaying. Whether he's wrong or right, it's his choice to not play/release guys like Kilkenny, Cahill and Brandan and to play guys like Jakobsen out of position.

• Like 1

Ok Warren. So you're a goal down away from home. You take off the only proper striker in McCormack and replace him with an unproven kid in Arzani. You have some kind of allergy to use your subs. Or do you just lack serious ambition as a coach and happy to let games slip week in week out? So sick of this 💩

25 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ok Warren. So you're a goal down away from home. You take off the only proper striker in McCormack and replace him with an unproven kid in Arzani. You have some kind of allergy to use your subs. Or do you just lack serious ambition as a coach and happy to let games slip week in week out? So sick of this 💩

Very strange decision.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yeah he won’t be sacked this season. He is the choice of Marwood so highly doubt they would let him go. Well only if we don’t win another game and miss the 6

By my arithmetic we've won two matches out of the past nine. At that rate with 14 matches to go we'll finish in the bottom three, not the top three.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Embee said:

Not having that, personally. The squad, as per usual, is full of talent and is much better than what we're displaying. Whether he's wrong or right, it's his choice to not play/release guys like Kilkenny, Cahill and Brandan and to play guys like Jakobsen out of position.

Yup, playing Malik over Kilkenny completely stumps me

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

The way the forum has reacted to Joyce's time in charge reminds me of this classic:

http://soccerammw.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/long-ball-managers-short-story.html

It breaks down the cycle of a club appointing a cliched defensive British manager to steady the ship. Its well worth a read and remarkably accurate.

Just love that final section.

"The departure

Long-ball or not, it happens to almost every manager eventually. However, with the long ball manager, it has a more predictable air about it.

Often the club are currently, or have finished, in mid-table. They're not going anywhere, results are average, and crowds are dropping because fans don't want to pay to see ugly football any more.

Suddenly a safe and steady pair of hands isn't enough. If the club had been in trouble at the bottom under the previous manager, those past struggles are somehow forgotten.

The chairman's belief is that if the club is going to finish in mid-table then they might as well do it playing entertaining football. That way fans will come back and gates will hold up.

The long-ball manager departs the club."

• Like 1

There is only really a couple of things that I could think that might force the clubs hand. 

Either supporters stop going en mass but that would take a level of organisation that I’d imagine would be impossible 

or an outstanding candidate becomes available 

the ‘culture’ was better last year imo. At least we had an attitude and flair. Now we just act like a bunch of limp douchebags

I don't think they're going to sack him in the first year of his contract unless we finish the season really poorly, would probably require more than simply missing the six. They've seemingly committed to his 'culture change' at the expense of guys like Cahill and Kilkenny who were some of our better performers and more senior members of the squad.

However, if he doesn't finish in the top 3 I genuinely believe he'll go into next season with the axe resting on his neck and anything other than an exemplary start would see him gone early on.

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

the ‘culture’ was better last year imo. At least we had an attitude and flair. Now we just act like a bunch of limp douchebags

Meh, we were limp last season too, the second half of the season we gave barely a yelp most games.

Edited by Embee

Let's just say that if we were playing like this under Aloisi, people would be screaming bloody murder.

This bloke is a dead set fraud. No idea whatsoever. 

6 year member here. Glad I didn't renew this year. Not giving this club another cent until things have changed substantially. 

25 minutes ago, Embee said:

I don't think they're going to sack him in the first year of his contract unless we finish the season really poorly, would probably require more than simply missing the six. They've seemingly committed to his 'culture change' at the expense of guys like Cahill and Kilkenny who were some of our better performers and more senior members of the squad.

However, if he doesn't finish in the top 3 I genuinely believe he'll go into next season with the axe resting on his neck and anything other than an exemplary start would see him gone early on.

Meh, we were limp last season too, the second half of the season we gave barely a yelp most games.

I agree that it's unlikely that he will be sacked this season. By going on to a second season, he'll have had two transfer windows to get players who suit what he wants to do into the squad. Players coming out of contract at the end of this season are Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, Metcalfe(S), Arzani, Kilkenny, Mauk (loan), Brattan (loan), Carrusca, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Crowley.

My concerns are that he thinks the sun shines out of the arses of both Malik and Kamau who IMO would not get a start in any other A-League side, that Budzinski is contracted for another season, and how well the club can co-ordinate the recruitment process so that CFG, Petrillo and Joyce are all singing from the same song-sheet.

Half way through season, and how many players can you say has improved from last year? I think it's one that's Malik and that's more to do with him playing his correct position, he has gone from useless to OK, nothing special, than wazza getting best out of him

Brattan, Fitzgerald, mauk and Jamieson are all just treading water 

Jakobsen is out of position

Kilkenny doesn't play

And Kamau is going backwards 

This is probably my biggest frustration, we are going nowhere 

Edited by neio
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that it's unlikely that he will be sacked this season. By going on to a second season, he'll have had two transfer windows to get players who suit what he wants to do into the squad. Players coming out of contract at the end of this season are Malik, Muscat, Tongyik, Jakobsen, Metcalfe(S), Arzani, Kilkenny, Mauk (loan), Brattan (loan), Carrusca, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Crowley.

My concerns are that he thinks the sun shines out of the arses of both Malik and Kamau who IMO would not get a start in any other A-League side, that Budzinski is contracted for another season, and how well the club can co-ordinate the recruitment process so that CFG, Petrillo and Joyce are all singing from the same song-sheet.

My concern is more centered around the fact that if he's going to dismantle the squad to better suit his 'vision' that if that vision is flawed (which I now feel it will be) then we're going to be stuck with a squad solely constructed by a guy who may not be around much longer.

He clearly has a lot of love for those two, and in fairness to Malik I think he started the season quite well but he's completely faded away now and whilst he hasn't been 'bad' I don't feel he's been remarkable enough to be keeping Kilkenny out, Kamau on the other hand hasn't improved at all and should be replaced by Vidosic ASAP. 

My take on things is that Wazza knows a system that works well and provides competitive consistency of result.  He's come from the EPL where squads are generally made up of world class, experienced players who are able to implement a system with very few errors.  The average age of most EPL squads is around 27 or higher.  Younger players are held onto more as investments to sell off, and very few break into the squads, but when they do get their chance, it may only come once, and they have to take it.

The idea of two holding midfielders in front of a back 4 is a defensive arrangement, but again, in the EPL, these holding mids also have genuine qualities to be lethally damaging when an attacking opportunity arises.  And the striker(s), wide attackers and the attacking mid (if deployed), at EPL level are generally clinical when a counter attack eventuates.

Wazza's issue is that the A-League salary cap and player restrictions do not allow his system to work as it should, given:

• the defence will make at least one or two bad errors a game, as opposed to an EPL defence, which may make one or two bad mistakes a season.

• the attack does not have the quality to score enough goals from the mere one or two chances a game that is produced by Wazza's system.  Look at last nights game, and think about all the wasted opportunities when we were attacking.  Our guys just dont have the smarts.

• he rates experience over potential

Wazza lamented the team's lack of footballing intelligence last night and he seems lost in terms of how to respond.  CFG's main objective for the season was to produce competitive consistency, built on a defensive foundation.  But without the attacking quality on the park, the game plan is doomed.  It seems that in the A-League, you need a balanced attack and defence, and as soon as you push too hard in one direction, you are doomed to fail.  A solid spine of players, which we have, with at least one good wide attacking player, playing a balanced attack vs defence game plan, will produce good results in this league.

We have the players to implement this, but I dont think Wazza has the ability to change it up from the start.  If he does, and can get the boys to play with the same intensity that we usually display when we go down a goal, we could be pretty successful.  The guys are for the most part, putting in the effort, but frustratingly, and it would be soul sapping for them, the team structure and plan is what's costing us most.

I can imagine Wazza's report back to Marwood being along the lines of, "Its not me , its the players ...".  If CFG dont dip into the transfer market further, particularly in terms of an effective marquee, then Wazza will lose the dressing room and it will become a lost cause, and the season will be wasted. 

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

My take on things is that Wazza knows a system that works well and provides competitive consistency of result.  He's come from the EPL where squads are generally made up of world class, experienced players who are able to implement a system with very few errors.  The average age of most EPL squads is around 27 or higher.  Younger players are held onto more as investments to sell off, and very few break into the squads, but when they do get their chance, it may only come once, and they have to take it.

The idea of two holding midfielders in front of a back 4 is a defensive arrangement, but again, in the EPL, these holding mids also have genuine qualities to be lethally damaging when an attacking opportunity arises.  And the striker(s), wide attackers and the attacking mid (if deployed), at EPL level are generally clinical when a counter attack eventuates.

Wazza's issue is that the A-League salary cap and player restrictions do not allow his system to work as it should, given:

• the defence will make at least one or two bad errors a game, as opposed to an EPL defence, which may make one or two bad mistakes a season.

• the attack does not have the quality to score enough goals from the mere one or two chances a game that is produced by Wazza's system.  Look at last nights game, and think about all the wasted opportunities when we were attacking.  Our guys just dont have the smarts.

• he rates experience over potential

Wazza lamented the team's lack of footballing intelligence last night and he seems lost in terms of how to respond.  CFG's main objective for the season was to produce competitive consistency, built on a defensive foundation.  But without the attacking quality on the park, the game plan is doomed.  It seems that in the A-League, you need a balanced attack and defence, and as soon as you push too hard in one direction, you are doomed to fail.  A solid spine of players, which we have, with at least one good wide attacking player, playing a balanced attack vs defence game plan, will produce good results in this league.

We have the players to implement this, but I dont think Wazza has the ability to change it up from the start.  If he does, and can get the boys to play with the same intensity that we usually display when we go down a goal, we could be pretty successful.  The guys are for the most part, putting in the effort, but frustratingly, and it would be soul sapping for them, the team structure and plan is what's costing us most.

I can imagine Wazza's report back to Marwood being along the lines of, "Its not me , its the players ...".  If CFG dont dip into the transfer market further, particularly in terms of an effective marquee, then Wazza will lose the dressing room and it will become a lost cause, and the season will be wasted. 

Farkin spot on

11 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

My take on things is that Wazza knows a system that works well and provides competitive consistency of result.  He's come from the EPL where squads are generally made up of world class, experienced players .....

Absolutely spot on.

My question is, how does a manager prevent stupidity

2 goals conceded in 2 minutes with 4 CBs!

15 times into the box and didn't test the goal keeper once!

Regardless of a manager's approach, the players just aren't good enough.

So what any manager needs to do in these circumstance is find players that are competent.

1 hour ago, Forever City said:

What could this mean?

I hope there is bloody drama. We are far too complacent at the moment. We have lost our early season position on the ladder through unacceptable stupidity and easily preventable occurrences. Wazzas team selection and management during games is poor. The players look dejected and in over their heads. Add in the poor handling and loss of players and apparent lack of congruence between the fans and the club and you just have one massive pile of crap.

I cannot see how we can turn things around. Wazzas choices have persisted long enough (credit for trying and attempting to implement) but stupidity is doing things the same and expecting different results. He has to accept now that it is not working, that players could be better utilised elsewhere, and that we would probably be better all round if we tried a new system.

Also, La Rocca just has to be dropped. The bloke started well, but I think choosing him over Jacobsen is just degrading and an absolute insult to a fantastic defender. Bart and Jaco would sturdy the ship. Yes we will still concede - every team does. But ffs get some midfielders playing there.

1 hour ago, Forever City said:

What could this mean?

Hopefully something fucking happens with this club off the pitch because atm on the pitch fuck all is happening. 

If wazza just tweaked his line up a bit,  and played you know, players in there preferred position you'd seem such a dramatic change in the team's performance. What is it with dipshit coaches and this club constantly playing players out of position? 

We just lack so much creativity in the midfield, and he is killing Jakobsens career by making him play so far up the pitch. You could maybe get away with a game or two playing Jakobsen up so high but to rely on it as a week in week out strategy, it just isn't going to work. Watching Jakobsen go foward and trying to hit killer balls to our wingers and strikers is one of the most painful things I have ever seen. 

Whatever you think of bratten I feel sorry for the bloke,  he has little to no support in the midfield. Wazza is trying to implement this defensive style and yet we're conceding more goals then ever and we don't even look like scoring. 

Very much off the wazza bandwagon atm,  looks like it's going to be another looooooooong season 

27 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Stay as you were. While not happy with last night, it’s business as usual at Melbourne City.

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Confirmed. Full of shit. 

Which is really part of the problem. After 3 consecutive losses and just two wins in 9 matches there ought to be "drama" at the club, not just "business as usual." There ought to be a lot of questions being asked, a lot of suggestions for change,  some hard self-assessments, extra drills, shooting practice, goalkeeper sessions, etc. etc. "Business as usual" doesn't convey any sense of urgency to improve IMO.

• Like 1