Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

CFG To lure Hiddink with a trail of pastries goods from his door to CFA Melbourne

Wouldn't be the worst idea:
Would be in the top 5 for recognised coaches.
Would stop the trade mark Melbourne City/Heart final 20 minute fade out.

CITY NAME IN THE FRAME COULD COME FULL CIRCLE

By Kristian Dwyer Jan 4 2017 12:01AM

Among the candidates potentially lining up for the lucrative Melbourne City managerial position, there is perhaps one who could come full circle by landing the job.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fBlogs%2f26000396022_a722a4b7fa_o.jpg&h=630&w=1120&c=1&s=1

Ante Milicic, although perhaps a stranger at their new Bundoora complex, is no stranger to the club or AAMI Park, having spent two years with Melbourne Heart as an assistant coach in their formative years.

The former Socceroo, who made his name as a lethal striker in the NSL and A-League with his pacy attack and ability to find the back of net, now has the runs on the board as a coach too.

When he was overlooked in favour of John Aloisi the first time Dutchman John Van 't Schip left the club, he headed to Sydney to join former team-mate Tony Popovic in setting up Western Sydney Wanderers.

As Popa's assistant, he played a key role in helping the club to the Premiership in its debut season and back to back Grand Finals that ultimately led to Asian Champions League glory.

But before he could see that particular project through, after two seasons with Wanderers, Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou snapped him up to be his assistant for the Brazil 2014 World Cup and their subsequent triumph at the 2015 Asian Cup.

Today he may be torn between his dream of a second World Cup with the Socceroos in 2018... or the chance to return as head coach at City, like a prodigal son rich on the wealth of experience he's gained since he left in 2012.

Whether the sour taste of yesteryear – when the celebrity value of Aloisi apparently won out over Milicic – can be washed clean is yet to be seen.

But CEO Scott Munn has the opportunity to right wrongs and put City back into Championship equations by hiring the best coaching talent outside the A-League right now...Ante Milicic.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/analysis/city-name-in-the-frame-could-come-full-circle-446343

Edited by haz

24 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Not sure if mentioned but Ray Gatt seems to suggest Gomabu and Amor

Amor has no senior managerial experience outside Adelaide. One successful season. I wouldn't see him as a step forward. I reckon Gombau would be better than Amor, but his sudden resignation from Adelaide and ending up with the David Villa academy set-up in the US I don't see as a step forward for him either.

Just think City needs someone who's a bit more hard-bitten than those two. Someone who's going to drive the squad forward as well as lead it. To paraphrase something I read elsewhere - "A bloke in City kit, who can handle men a bit."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Not sure if mentioned but Ray Gatt seems to suggest Gomabu and Amor

Gombau, Amor in line to replace Melbourne City’s John van’t Schip

325d46fe0cd17a8c68085c6023ba657a?width=650

Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip is returning to The Netherlands to be with his dying father. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Former Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau and current Adelaide United boss Guillermo Amor are looming as potential candidates for the position at Melbourne City following the unexpected resignation of John van’t Schip.

Van’t Schip took to social media yesterday morning to ­announce he had resigned as coach effectively immediately after 3½ seasons at the helm of the Victorian club.

City followed 20 minutes later, issuing an official statement saying the Dutchman had decided to resign so that he could return home to look after his father, who has been placed in palliative care.

Van’t Schip has been forced to leave with the season just reaching the halfway mark and with the club in fourth spot and 13 points behind competition leaders ­Sydney FC.

Understandably, his departure has sparked much speculation ­regarding a successor.

Assistant coach Michael Valkanis has been handed the job on a caretaker basis but the powerfully connected City Football Group will conduct a worldwide search for a fulltime replacement.

CFG, who also own the Manchester City and New York City football clubs, have substantial resources and are capable of attracting highly-renowned coaches.

But the answers could lie in Australia with Gombau and Amor fitting the bill as the type of coach that would interest Melbourne City’s management.

Certainly Gombau is shaping as a serious candidate. He has a strong connection with City football manager Michael Petrillo and worked with Valkanis when all three were at Adelaide United ­between 2013 and 2015.

The Spaniard left United at the end of the 2014-15 season to take up a youth coaching role in the US, reportedly with the David Villa academy at New York City.

However, he returned to Australia last year after being sounded out by Socceroos coach Ange ­Postecoglou. He is now part of the national team coaching set-up and is also involved with the Olyroos (under 23s).

It was Gombau who convinced Barcelona legend Amor to go to Adelaide as technical director ­during his tenure at the Reds.

When he left, Amor took the coaching reins last season and guided Adelaide to the Premiers Plate-Championship double. It was United’s first championship. However, United have had a terrible run this season, winning just once in the opening 13 games to be cemented to the bottom of the table with just seven points.

Amor has been linked with a move to Melbourne City’s sister club, Manchester City, in the ­English Premier League, with ­suggestions City boss Pep Guardiola wants him as his assistant.

Adelaide would be reluctant to release Amor to Melbourne City at this stage of the season.

Meanwhile, in making his announcement, van’t Schip said he was putting family before career.

“I have been faced with a choice between my family in Holland and my work here in Australia and there was only one right decision,” van’t Schip said in a statement.

“I did not want my personal ­circumstances to impact the club in any way.

“I am part of a strong coaching team that has been carefully nurtured over the last three years and that gives me great confidence that this situation will not adversely affect the club’s progress.

“I would like to thank everyone at Melbourne City and the City Football Group for their support. The club’s development since its creation will always be a source of great personal pride to me.”

Van’t Schip, a former Dutch international, was in his second stint at the club, having first coached it when it was first admitted into the A-League as Melbourne Heart (2009-12).

He rejoined the club in 2013 and led it to its first trophy — the FFA Cup late last year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/gombau-amor-in-line-to-replace-melbourne-citys-john-vant-schip/news-story/bd1d89b6322913da5085d21ae5ff93ab?utm_content=bufferf5158&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Milicic focused on Socceroos not Melbourne City

Angela Habashy

4 JAN 2017 - 3:12 PM  UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

Milicic is among those named as a possible replacement for van’t Schip, who resigned as City's head coach unexpectedly on Tuesday to return to the Netherlands to care for his ill father.

City’s assistant Michael Valkanis is at the helm in a caretaker capacity while the club begin a worldwide search for a new head coach.

Former Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau and current Adelaide United boss Guillermo Amor are also looming as potential candidates.

Milicic was the assistant under van’t Schip at the then-named Melbourne Heart for the club’s first two campaigns from 2010-2012.

He was overlooked to replace van 't Schip in 2012, instead heading to Western Sydney to become Tony Popovic’s assistant before making the move to work with Ange Postecoglou and the Socceroos ahead of the 2014 Brazil World Cup.

Milicic is highly regarded by all in the sport and would be a fitting replacement at City.

He confirmed the club are yet to get in touch and said with the Socceroos to face three crucial World Cup qualifiers this year and the Confederations Cup in June, it wasn’t even something he’d thought about.

“No one has contacted me from Melbourne City and I’ve put in a lot of work with the Socceroos and I’m contracted with the FFA,” he told The World Game on Wednesday.

“So I’m just focusing on my job monitoring our players who are playing overseas, watching the A-League and looking forward to not only these qualifiers we have in March but the Confederations Cup.

“So nothing really changes for me but it’s normal that there’d be speculation when a coach leaves a club.

“But I honestly just haven’t given it any thought.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/01/04/milicic-focused-socceroos-not-melbourne-city

Who next for Melbourne City?

Melbourne City are on the hunt for just their third coach in the club's seven-year history following John van 't Schip's resignation.
Source: 
AAP
4 JAN 2017 - 8:45 AM  UPDATED 9 HOURS AGO

The club is conducting a global search, emphasising there's no rush on appointing a new coach with experienced assistant Michael Valkanis at the helm in a caretaker capacity.

That means a new coach could be appointed as soon as this month, or as far away as the end of the season.

City football boss Michael Petrillo and City Football Group chief Brian Marwood have been tasked with creating a shortlist to take to senior City executives Simon Pearce and Scott Munn.

It's highly unlikely the club will recycle an A-League figure.

Instead, City will be looking abroad as they did with van 't Schip, or turning to the next generation of Australian talent, as they did with John Aloisi.

Any coach will need to have their badges; a Pro Licence is required to take the helm at A-League level and it's unlikely Football Federation Australia will allow an incoming manager to fall short of this requirement.

With such a broad search, it's impossible to predict City's shortlist but here are a few candidates will be assessed in the coming weeks - as well as a few roughies.

POSSIBLES

Graham Arnold: If City Football Group want the best, who better than the coach of the leading club in Australia? Arnold has already been linked to the club as van 't Schip's successor at season's end when van 't Schip signalled he would leave. Arnold's recently-signed contract extension could add another zero to the payout that City would have to pay, but given the resources available to the club, an approach could be possible.

Ante Milicic: Overlooked as senior coach to replace van 't Schip in 2012 in a major sliding doors moment for both the club and the coach. Milicic hasn't looked back, assisting Tony Popovic at Western Sydney before moving to work with Ange Postecoglou and the Socceroos. Unlikely to shift lanes given the personal history involved and the challenge of helping Australia to the World Cup, but highly regarded by all and sundry in the sport.

Josep Gombau: Gombau spent two seasons at Adelaide United and had the A-League spellbound by his tiki-taka tactics. After a brief hiatus, he's now in the Socceroos coaching setup alongside Milicic and oversees the Olyroos. But there's very little action for Australia's under-23s any time soon and Gombau could find his way back to the A-League if City want a passionate heart-and-soul manager.

Guillermo Amor: Could be on the way out at Adelaide United despite his title heroics last season - but that's surely a problem with talent retention at the Reds and not his ability as a coach. The Barcelona great is highly regarded around the league and if he's given the boot from United, could be one of the very few ex-A-League coaches considered by City.

LONG SHOTS

Guus Hiddink: There's no more popular figure in Australian football than 'Aussie Guus', the man that led the Socceroos to the drought-bursting 2006 World Cup in Germany and through to the round of 16. The journeyman coach last worked with Chelsea after the sacking of Jose Mourinho during the previous English Premier League campaign - does the 70-year-old have enough in him for one last club job? It likely that only City Football Group could coax him to return.

Harry Kewell: Kewell last played for Melbourne Heart and has been quoted as looking at the A-League as a possible first senior coaching role. But the legendary Socceroo is loving life at English Premier League club Watford and has his eyes set on building a career in England or Europe. Not zero chance, but would need to be seriously swayed by City Football Group.

John Aloisi: They say never go back, but van 't Schip has already shown it's possible at City. Aloisi was hounded out of the club after a torrid spell in charge but has rebuilt his coaching reputation at Brisbane Roar. There was no love lost between van 't Schip and Aloisi in recent meetings but that animosity doesn't run deep at City.    OH GOD NO

Michael Valkanis: The long-term Adelaide United assistant joined City in the off-season and has been given the reins in the interim. With City very much in the title mix this season, how could the club overlook him if the one-time Socceroo defender leads the team to glory?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/01/04/who-next-melbourne-city?cid=inbody:milicic-focused-on-socceroos-not-melbourne-city

Edited by haz

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Animosity to Aloisi doesn't run deep?  It bloody does on the terraces.  There would be a riot. 

How memories are short

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/western-sydney-wanderers-win-sensational-a-league-semi-final-against-brisbane-roar/zhfe9kaub4kw1j46kimft83gr

If I see the dumb brothers at Melb City, I am off to Adelaide.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, haz said:

What I don't want to see a cheap coach to come in and act as a "Puppet" to CFG's game plan and tactics.

I think to have a guess as to who we will hire, is to take a look at previous CFG dealings.

My money would be on,

• Gombau -> The coach who fits "The Style" with HAL experience
  • Arteta (Or someone within CFG) -> The coach who has been trained with "The Style"
  • Popa -> The coach with HAL experience and has been successful (See Kreis' appointment to NYFC)

Arteta only joined City in the summer with Pep. This is his first coaching job so you can discount him.

On 03/01/2017 at 7:15 PM, jw1739 said:

I'll stick my neck out and say that IMO we need a Head Coach who is not a teaching/development coach in the mould of JvS. Teaching and development is primarily the role of the NPL/NYL coach. Sure the Head Coach takes note of what's happening, but IMO one of JvS' weaknesses was his habit of suddenly throwing a youth player into the seniors in a critical match. IMO a good command of English is essential, and also the Head Coach must be adaptable - surely another of JvS' weaknesses was his insistence on playing "the way we want to play" even when it was not working. However, on that last point he was sometimes lauded during his Heart days as being able to change the team structure during a match to meet a set of new circumstances, and I think this "play the way we want to play" is a result of being part of CFG. A new coach may find it difficult in that respect.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Needs to be performance based, and two years only for starters. Incumbent must be an experienced Head Coach/Manager, experienced with the style of football played in Australia, and a good man manager particularly with senior players who might have prima donna tendencies. Please not another whose interest/experience is primarily with young players.

I think this morning it's beginning to sink in - this really is "the end of an era" for the club. The new appointment does need to be a bold statement of where we want to go.

Had a long think about your post which is quite persuasive. However I would counter that as football is a developing game in this country where our youth teams lack the skills, finesse and polish of European counterparts, some teaching capability is required. Perhaps, in not too distant past a role as a development coach would be nice. I will also note that both Louis van Gaal and Jorge Luis Pinto (the former Costa Rican coach) were both high school teachers before they got their break. I also agree with you that JVS's habit of throwing young players into critical matches was a minus but I suspect that was his way of testing players (a younger Kevin Sheedy also did the same). I would not expect the new coach to do that unless we were running out of players.

By requiring that the new coach to have experience with the style of football played in Australia, I feel you reduce the potential field too much. This would lead us to recycle an existing unemployed coach (Miller), poaching another club's coach (Amor or Arnold or Gombau perhaps), or trying an NSL coach. Also, I am not sure that the style of football is a requirement as football continues to evolve (unless, of course, you are referring to something else). 

However, you are on the money with the need to have solid man management skills and that CFG need to make a bold statement with the new appointment.

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

By requiring that the new coach to have experience with the style of football played in Australia, I feel you reduce the potential field too much. This would lead us to recycle an existing unemployed coach (Miller), poaching another club's coach (Amor or Arnold or Gombau perhaps), or trying an NSL coach. Also, I am not sure that the style of football is a requirement as football continues to evolve (unless, of course, you are referring to something else). 

Fair point, but I didn't mean by that to necessarily have experience of coaching in the A-League itself. What I was alluding to is that we need someone who has demonstrated that he is more prepared to play with quicker ball transition and less emphasis on sterile possession. In our recent matches we have been pedestrian in the extreme and teams who play the quick route to goal (Perth, MV, even CCM) have been tearing us to shreds.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

No to Amor. Blokes failed this season and started last season hopelessly as well.
He's soft AF.
Need a character, someone who brings passion and is a winner from the sidelines and fights, something this club desperately lacks and needs.

Gombau is a passionate man that backs up his players, I want him!

3 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Amor.  

Winner.  

ex-Barca (obvious links with Pep and the Man City way of playing.)

Pedigree as player and coach

Unlike at AU will have the resources he needs.

You are kidding, Adelaides current team on paper are no slouches and yet... 

10 minutes ago, Portillo said:

Amor failed to properly replace last years departures and his signing guardiola has been a failure so far.

Melbourne City has failed to properly replace Mooy. I am not sure whether AU has the scouting network and budget to replace players. In a salary capped league luck has t play a role because if the players are outstanding they will be lured away by better pay/opportunities, hence if you can assemble a decent side and keep it together for two or more seasons then that is a difficult task to achieve.

8 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

No to Amor. Blokes failed this season and started last season hopelessly as well.
He's soft AF.
Need a character, someone who brings passion and is a winner from the sidelines and fights, something this club desperately lacks and needs.

Gombau is a passionate man that backs up his players, I want him!

Yes but to state the bleedin' obvious we need someone with good track record as a coach. We don't need to try out someone who's inexperienced at the highest level - like trawling through the NPL FFS.

HAL championship and premiership silverware winning coaches have points-per-game (PPG), and win ratios like: Arnold (1.78, 50.3%), Ange (1.78, 50.9%), Muscrat (1.75, 50%). Compare that to JVS (1.38, 36.1%) :droy:

Gombau comes in with 1.52 and 43.8% (but with 57 games in the a-league compared to over 100 for GA, AP, KM and JVS).

Top overseas managers have a PPG around 1.75 and close to 2, and win ratios into the 40+%. If this club really wants to taste success and get into Asia it needs to act and recruit the best available (within financial constraints of course).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Portillo said:

Amor failed to properly replace last years departures and his signing guardiola has been a failure so far.

To be fair to amor they lost some bloody good players and most of them were Australian which makes it harder 

Guardiola isn't that bad,  he works hard just doesn't have the support or supply regularly enough 

16 minutes ago, Dylan said:

nah pre game press conference. I get the feeling Valkanis is going to be here the rest of the season

I'd say that's highly likely. If it's true that CFG are just starting now to look for our new man, and with four months to go to the end of the season (including finals) then I doubt that they could go through a proper selection process and get a new man on the job before season's end. Unless they have a ready-made shortlist already.