Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

Thank fuck that clown has gone. It's a pity Marwood and Petrillo are still involved though, so there is still the potential for the club to fuck up the next appointment. I am hoping for you guys that CFG actually put some investment into the club on the playing side.

At least you can enjoy the off season for a little while!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Thank fuck that clown has gone. It's a pity Marwood and Petrillo are still involved though, so there is still the potential for the club to fuck up the next appointment. I am hoping for you guys that CFG actually put some investment into the club on the playing side.

At least you can enjoy the off season for a little while!!

Welcome back mate. 

48 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Welcome back mate. 

I have never really gone lol Just perused the forum without logging on, hoping the powers that be got their heads into gear and got rid of that idiot Joyce. It's very difficult to comment on the turgid football that has been on show for you lads this season. I am convinced if we had a manger with a more positive attitude, that the players are there to finish higher than they did. Possibly even to get to the Grand Final. It's just been a total fuck up by the management, and I put the blame firmly on Marwood's shoulders for the crap season you guys have had.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I have never really gone lol Just perused the forum without logging on, hoping the powers that be got their heads into gear and got rid of that idiot Joyce. It's very difficult to comment on the turgid football that has been on show for you lads this season. I am convinced if we had a manger with a more positive attitude, that the players are there to finish higher than they did. Possibly even to get to the Grand Final. It's just been a total fuck up by the management, and I put the blame firmly on Marwood's shoulders for the crap season you guys have had.

Yes. Without doubt. 

9 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

image.png.5ad04e5efadff0dca7166ff003aa9881.png

Genuinely interesting bit of info from Davutovic. Just couldn't ever quite pull it together. 

Ties back into the fact that our fans that long for the Heart days and constantly complain etc are really victims of their own expectations they put on the club, rather than the actual reality.

That's not to say those expectations aren't unreasonable, but a lot of people don't understand a huge portion of the disappointment they derive from the club is somewhat self inflicted.

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Ties back into the fact that our fans that long for the Heart days and constantly complain etc are really victims of their own expectations they put on the club, rather than the actual reality.

That's not to say those expectations aren't unreasonable, but a lot of people don't understand a huge portion of the disappointment they derive from the club is somewhat self inflicted.

Could you expand on this part a bit?? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Could you expand on this part a bit?? 

Basically what im trying to say is that the club is better on just about every single measurable scale(at least until Xmas it was anyway), except perhaps active, than it was in the Heart days, but I'm sure if you took a poll between Xmas 2018 and Xmas Season 4 (last of Heart) you'd have found the that the dissatisfaction levels were higher in the City era.
*Obv attendances and quite a number of other things have taken a dip in the second half of this season, but prior to that the point remains.

Now thats clearly not 100% outcome based cos all our metrics were higher; its because the fans set new expectations upon the takeover and those werent met.
No club sets fan expectations; they are all set by us as individuals and that is what i mean when i say its self-inflicted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Basically what im trying to say is that the club is better on just about every single measurable scale(at least until Xmas it was anyway), except perhaps active, than it was in the Heart days, but I'm sure if you took a poll between Xmas 2018 and Xmas Season 4 (last of Heart) you'd have found the that the dissatisfaction levels were higher in the City era.
*Obv attendances and quite a number of other things have taken a dip in the second half of this season, but prior to that the point remains.

Now thats clearly not 100% outcome based cos all our metrics were higher; its because the fans set new expectations upon the takeover and those werent met.
No club sets fan expectations; they are all set by us as individuals and that is what i mean when i say its self-inflicted.

I don't think you're wholly correct on this. Partly correct, yes, but not wholly correct.

CFG made promises and have broken them. IMO that's the main source of disillusion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Ah is that what it is, we are all deluded and I’ve set the bar to high!

There’s lots wrong with me but not the ability to see that the way the club is being managed at the moment isn’t the way forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Ok that makes sense and is what I thought you meant...

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think you're wholly correct on this. Partly correct, yes, but not wholly correct.

CFG made promises and have broken them. IMO that's the main source of disillusion.

However like Jw I don't think it's totally correct. I think from a results perspective we certainly set the expectation with CFG coming in, however it can also be traced back to CFG publicly talking about delivering attractive football, winning trophies etc. With this, many people decided to supporter City with these expectations as the payoff after losing Heart. Both club and supporters are at fault here.

Then secondly and just as important is the promise that this club wouldn't be a mini Manchester. These were promises made by CFG and the expectation was set that we would be a Melbourne club however there's countless evidence that it is anything but. 

So I'd have to respectfully disagree with you bt. I think there's certainly an arguement there that we supporters have contributed to these expectations however CFG certainly played a very big part in pointing that picture early on and have continued to do so. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Ok that makes sense and is what I thought you meant...

However like Jw I don't think it's totally correct. I think from a results perspective we certainly set the expectation with CFG coming in, however it can also be traced back to CFG publicly talking about delivering attractive football, winning trophies etc. With this, many people decided to supporter City with these expectations as the payoff after losing Heart. Both club and supporters are at fault here.

Then secondly and just as important is the promise that this club wouldn't be a mini Manchester. These were promises made by CFG and the expectation was set that we would be a Melbourne club however there's countless evidence that it is anything but. 

So I'd have to respectfully disagree with you bt. I think there's certainly an arguement there that we supporters have contributed to these expectations however CFG certainly played a very big part in pointing that picture early on and have continued to do so. 

To some degree i agree with all you said there. I certainly dont think the club are perfect and they've definitely made errors, i'm just trying to highlight exactly what you said yourself; that both the club and the supporters are at fault.

There's endless amounts to rag on the club about no doubt, but they also do a lot of good stuff and on most measurable aspects things have improved since we were Heart. I guess im trying to prompt a bit more of a balanced discussion, because we get a lot of morons on here that think they can do better and that everything is simple fixes, when its not and they really, really couldnt get close.

• Like 3

As I’ve discussed before, I want to be a part of a fan base that is disappointed with losing and demands more. I’ll be even happier to be a part of the club when we finally get it right. 

Plenty of optimism for next season, new manager, new players and back to an attacking mindset. 

I’m one of the minority that enjoys our links to ManCity (although not an EPL supporter), the strip included. I’m also happy we kept the red and white. 

19/20 can’t come soon enough 

55 minutes ago, bt50 said:

To some degree i agree with all you said there. I certainly dont think the club are perfect and they've definitely made errors, i'm just trying to highlight exactly what you said yourself; that both the club and the supporters are at fault.

There's endless amounts to rag on the club about no doubt, but they also do a lot of good stuff and on most measurable aspects things have improved since we were Heart. I guess im trying to prompt a bit more of a balanced discussion, because we get a lot of morons on here that think they can do better and that everything is simple fixes, when its not and they really, really couldnt get close.

Yeh there is plenty to rag on, I've done so on one or two occasions, mostly about the club/supporter relationship rather than the results and style of play. But there's also plenty to credit the City on doing good in as well. I think a balanced discussion is needed on here for sure. I can only speak personally, and my feelings are that CFG have lost this club, for now anyway. This coming from supporting a European club since my birth, having my name on their playing shirts, membership every year etc. I'm not saying my opinion qualifies any more than anyone else nor am I expecting City to correlate the same level of emotion as my overseas club...but when I try to find a but of that feeling and compare the 'club' feel between the two CFG feels like a corporation. There is close to zero club feel about it, especially this last season. And that for me is a tough pill to swallow. And it makes me lean toward the CFG being ultimately responsible for our expectations and situation we find ourselves in. 

I think going forward they need some serious damage control. They need a total revamp. Bringing back some past players would be a great start, provided they align with the next managers strategies. And most importantly they need to start to bend their 'brand' for the sake of supporters to get them back to feeling like this club is in Melbourne. Drop the totalitarian approach, introduce a change of kit to align with CFG 'and with Melbourne', have a long term aim of developing heroes within our team, and make our whole game day experience uniquely Melbourne. Get rid of other clubs goal songs, get rid of bloody oasis post game song. Make this a club from Mlebourne, supported by CFG. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Because we get a lot of morons on here that think they can do better and that everything is simple fixes, when its not and they really, really couldnt get close.

BT, don't you think some of the items raised by Niko are easy fixes, because I do! These are easy fixes and putting them in the too hard basket is pathetic.

1. Using other clubs goal songs
  2. Introduce a change of kit to align with CFG 'and with Melbourne' (even if it's only the socks or permanent red away kit)
  3. Too much navy in branding and merchandise

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

BT, don't you think some of the items raised by Niko are easy fixes, because I do! These are easy fixes and putting them in the too hard basket is pathetic.

1. Using other clubs goal songs
  2. Introduce a change of kit to align with CFG 'and with Melbourne' (even if it's only the socks or permanent red away kit)
  3. Too much navy in branding and merchandise

Some might be, those above ones certainly seem straight forward. There may some contractual issues at play potentially but yes they seem easy.

I'm probably referring to things a bit more broadly, such as spending, recruiting, selection and what happens behind the scenes. 

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Some might be, those above ones certainly seem straight forward. There may some contractual issues at play potentially but yes they seem easy.

I'm probably referring to things a bit more broadly, such as spending, recruiting, selection and what happens behind the scenes. 

Yeah those are a bit harder to fix!

You know what, if the club starts making small easy changes to begin with maybe the supporters would become a little less negative as they feel more included, listened to etc....

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah those are a bit harder to fix!

You know what, if the club starts making small easy changes to begin with maybe the supporters would become a little less negative as they feel more included, listened to etc....

I get what you're saying. Like an example you mentioned - using navy in our branding and merchandise.

This is a problem Melbourne City make for themselves (that can be easily fixed). Clearly the fans dont like it - so stop doing it. I'll say goodbye to red forever if I never see navy again. City blue and white. If you need a third, darker colour to offset the two lighter shades - use black.

Next.

I suspect I'd feel happier if the club gave a few nods towards our red and white heritage, our difference (ie Melbourne not Manchester) and getting away from the mini Man City feel. Some small changes there would really help. Personally not fussed either way about some navy blue, the song choices or Oasis in particular (though I was never much of a fan). 

What would also help hugely is to have players who 'belong' to us. Terrace heroes, characters and players who came up through our ranks. I'm thinking of people like Bruno, the Tiprat, and fat Scotsman. I think Delbo might get there in time, big Tommy probably got close, Bort too if he stays. The guys you know just by their nicknames. And then some talented kids who come through our own system, stay, develop and get good. Arzani was gone too soon, but we've got a crop coming through that can build not just a team, but identity and allegiance. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tommykins said:

image.png.5ad04e5efadff0dca7166ff003aa9881.png

Genuinely interesting bit of info from Davutovic. Just couldn't ever quite pull it together. 

All of which have won silver ware some multiple times. This would put the club fifth which kind of flatters to deceive. Joyce could never pull it together because he was not good enough.

IIRC I've bought one three items of merchandise during the City era, and one during the Heart era. The only two items that can be described as "apparel" are one Heart scarf and one City "club scarf" - the latter the one with sky blue-and-white on one side and red-and-white on the other - IMO the best scarf ever produced by the club in either incarnation. Seems to me the items for sale at the Melbourne club shop ought to be something Melbourne could fix, but having just looked at the Manchester shop https://shop.mancity.com/stores/mancity/en/c/clothing I'm not so sure. Many look as though they have a common "designer." Most of the items on both sites are just such tacky shit that I would be embarrassed to ever be seen in them.

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

All of which have won silver ware some multiple times. This would put the club fifth which kind of flatters to deceive. Joyce could never pull it together because he was not good enough.

The win % doesn't show which matches you have won. The other named managers have won the important matches, whereas City fail in the ones that count.

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Usually I would ask that all of these threads be merged into one, but the more threads talking about joyce leaving the better imo 

I looked at doing that, but it's too difficult and decided to let the threads run. It'll only be for a few days.

• Like 1

My Joyce report card:

win/loss 6/10

Trophies 0/10

entertainment 0/10

man management 1/10

youth development 5/10

coach development 3/10

Use of squad 3/10

giving him 18/70.

before everyone piles into me, he’s left, so I don’t want to bag him too badly now.

Edited by Shahanga

His win/loss is an absolute joke of a stat.

The squad we had, with holes and all, was STILL good enough to win the league each of the last 2 seasons.

If anyone hasn't noticed, as I have been banging on about for 18 months now -  the A league is PUTRID. Putrid. With our resources, we should be walkin in the league standing on our hands.

No good teams - Glory will probably win it after last night, but they are a mediocre squad at best. There is just no quality at all and the league is borderline unwatchable. This is a poor Sydney (and Victory) side, but will probably give them a game and a half if not beat them in the final.

Adelaide - a squad levels below ours could have pinched the win last night. this is a squad who sacked a coach this season.

God we have  totally ballsed up the last 2 seasons.  

15 hours ago, CityHeart said:

His win/loss is an absolute joke of a stat.

The squad we had, with holes and all, was STILL good enough to win the league each of the last 2 seasons.

If anyone hasn't noticed, as I have been banging on about for 18 months now -  the A league is PUTRID. Putrid. With our resources, we should be walkin in the league standing on our hands.

No good teams - Glory will probably win it after last night, but they are a mediocre squad at best. There is just no quality at all and the league is borderline unwatchable. This is a poor Sydney (and Victory) side, but will probably give them a game and a half if not beat them in the final.

Adelaide - a squad levels below ours could have pinched the win last night. this is a squad who sacked a coach this season.

God we have  totally ballsed up the last 2 seasons.  

You're sentiments I agree with but I think you're way off with the strength of our squad the lat 2 seasons and Perth having a mediocre squad. 

• Like 1