Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

There’d never be a better time than now to actually push Joyce out the door. 

We have two weeks until our next match. Two weeks of clear air. Let’s use this time to rid the club of his influence.

The players need a rest after yesterday. Remove Joyce completely, give the players a few days to get away from football and the club, then bring them back with Vidmar as the caretaker and Kisnorbo as the assistant coach.

Give everyone a fresh start. Every player can earn his spot on the team sheet in these two weeks. We focus on playing free-flowing, attacking football and really going after the opposition in order to build momentum for the finals.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

We have two weeks until our next match. Two weeks of clear air. Let’s use this time to rid the club of his influence.

The players need a rest after yesterday. Remove Joyce completely, give the players a few days to get away from football and the club, then bring them back with Vidmar as the caretaker and Kisnorbo as the assistant coach.

Give everyone a fresh start. Every player can earn his spot on the team sheet in these two weeks. We focus on playing free-flowing, attacking football and really going after the opposition in order to build momentum for the finals.

Makes too much sense for the cfg to follow through with it...brainless fools!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harrison said:

12 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Makes too much sense for the cfg to follow through with it...brainless fools!

Indeed, far too logical for CFG.

And, as I've pointed out before, no need to actually sack him. Just side-line him. Do a review of promising players coming up through the Academy or something like that.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed, far too logical for CFG.

And, as I've pointed out before, no need to actually sack him. Just side-line him. Do a review of promising players coming up through the Academy or something like that.

Great suggestions but still too much logic for the higher ups to handle. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Yes. And where are Brisbane Roar this season? Sour grapes from someone whose team is even worse than ours. What is the point of Brisbane Roar this season? To finish ninth. 

Maybe I've missed something but this is a sports opinion website based in Sydney - no relation at all with the Brisbane Roar.

Next to this the article is spot on, we need more media like this to put it to CFG.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes. And where are Brisbane Roar this season? Sour grapes from someone whose team is even worse than ours. What is the point of Brisbane Roar this season? To finish ninth. 

At least they have done something to correct their failure and got rid of their manager. Something that we are too gutless to do.

Edited by playmaker

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe I've missed something but this is a sports opinion website based in Sydney - no relation at all with the Brisbane Roar.

Next to this the article is spot on, we need more media like this to put it to CFG.

Try this https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-04/whats-the-point-of-melbourne-city-richard-hinds/10866124?section=sport

and this https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/04/bruno-fornaroli-debacle-exposes-melbourne-citys-soullessness#comment-126485904

and, finally,  this https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/feb/28/david-squires-on-how-it-all-came-to-this-for-melbourne-city

It's about time the media held the franchise to account

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

To be fair we have been calling for more pressure from the media for a while. They are now echoing what this forum has been stating for months now - even years. No article I read is ever that insightful because the fruits of the ideas had been already spoken of by many here - props to us all.

Sadly, we are very low now. Our image as the joke of melbourne has come to fruition and we are without excuse. 

We are lucky that we are always a decent pre season and few signings away from closing this chapter and getting people back supporting this club. Some major changes do need to happen before this happens however.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

@Mr MO I certainly wasn't intending to have a crack at you posting this. Apologies if it came over like that. As far as I could see the author of the article was a Brisbane based journo, hence my comments. Like most here I agree it's high time the press got stuck into what's going on at City. Loved the Squires cartoon, and several recent articles (see @belaguttman above) are spot on. But the article you posted from The Roar felt to me like it had a different to tone, less standing with us as City/Heart fans as we try to work this out, and more just a salty fan of another club sticking the boot in, including to us as the fans of the club. That to me is not on. Decent soccer fans are welcome to lay into our management, CFG etc, but they should stand with us in solidarity as soccer fans. It could so easily have been them, not us, and could still be if someone buys them out. I guess in the end just a matter of perception, but I didn't like the tone of the writer on this one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

@Mr MO I certainly wasn't intending to have a crack at you posting this. Apologies if it came over like that. As far as I could see the author of the article was a Brisbane based journo, hence my comments. Like most here I agree it's high time the press got stuck into what's going on at City. Loved the Squires cartoon, and several recent articles (see @belaguttman above) are spot on. But the article you posted from The Roar felt to me like it had a different to tone, less standing with us as City/Heart fans as we try to work this out, and more just a salty fan of another club sticking the boot in, including to us as the fans of the club. That to me is not on. Decent soccer fans are welcome to lay into our management, CFG etc, but they should stand with us in solidarity as soccer fans. It could so easily have been them, not us, and could still be if someone buys them out. I guess in the end just a matter of perception, but I didn't like the tone of the writer on this one. 

Mike gets a bit of stick on the Roar website but I’m OK with his piece. Overall it’s inline with the frustrations we feel here and importantly it’s being put out there on a general sports website. As Mike says, he had been approached by our club so Bundoora is hearing this stuff from supporters and the general public. I’m pleased with that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

All good, I just thought you made your comments thinking that there was Brisbane Roar connection as per the name of the Sydney news outlet - which there isn’t. You believe the author is a Brisbane fan?

Wether you like his tone or not, old mate Mike Tuckerman is speaking the truth.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Must say I didn't read anything in that article as having a go at us, the fans. I felt it was firmly directed at the way CFG are mismanaging Melbourne City.

And I doubt Brisbane fans would be too critical of us. The Bakrie Group hasn't exactly distinguished itself in its ownership of Brisbane Roar.

Overall though, I concur with opinions already expressed. It's a real positive that the media is starting to question how City are being managed.

• Like 2

There's been articles in the past written by the roar that have had undertones of saltiness. So I definitely agree with you. 

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

'Supporter' used very liberally in that context.

his attitude for a while has been negative but  I’d say it’s a pretty common feeling amoungst the support anyway.

Although I conceed he is not a fan of CFG

He's a smug piece of shit that gets far more enjoyment out of having a dig at us than he does out of seeing us succeed imo.
You dont have to be Nostradamus to see we've got issues at the minute, and plenty of them, but i dont take his opinion to be anything of value at all. David Hards in a suit.

Is there a viable option to bring in an Aussie coach? Ange doesnt seem a viable option for me as I dont think he will leave Japan, could we pry away Mark Rudan from Western United? Is Scott Miller good enough for a club with ambitions like ours. 

Or is it another overseas coach?

31 minutes ago, fiji19 said:

Is there a viable option to bring in an Aussie coach? Ange doesnt seem a viable option for me as I dont think he will leave Japan, could we pry away Mark Rudan from Western United? Is Scott Miller good enough for a club with ambitions like ours. 

Or is it another overseas coach?

I like Miller, although like pretty much every other coach on the market, there are clear cons to making that appointment too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Can't they just source a decent coach from overseas? It's no as if it counts to the cap ffs!

IMO foreign coaches tend to struggle here due to the restrictions around the squad and cap. Its hard to negotiate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IMO foreign coaches tend to struggle here due to the restrictions around the squad and cap. Its hard to negotiate.

Surely the local staff of each club ought to be right on top of the salary cap and other rules imposed by the League? The local Football Department head and CEO ought to have it all worked out. If not, what the hell are they there for?

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Surely the local staff of each club ought to be right on top of the salary cap and other rules imposed by the League? The local Football Department head and CEO ought to have it all worked out. If not, what the hell are they there for?

It is not that the local staff or the foreign coach can't do the maths. Its the mentality of the foreign coach. To me foreign coaches come into the game with an idea as to how they want the game to be played and the type of players with the suitable skillset to make that happen. However the salary and numbers cap means that the they have to extract the best of the players that the A-League has available. And above average players get sold off. In reality whichever coach comes into the game has to re-imagine the game to fit the players he has and with the knowledge that at least one of his players will not be there next season.

Which is I think that if we are to get a foreign coach then that coach must come from a stronger league than the A-League but should not be a country that has a top 10 league. Which is why I keep bringing the name of Eduardo Berrizo: took a middle of the table club (O'Higgins) in teh Chilean league to their only silverware and then took Celta De Vigo to the Europa cup but failed at bigger clubs. So he was successful with clubs with little money, mediocre facilities and small fan bases to silverware or the Europa league. He worked with what he had.

Having said that we should not forget Viteslav Lavicka, Guillermo Amor, and Joseph Gombau. A couple of others have also made an impression.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

It is not that the local staff or the foreign coach can't do the maths. Its the mentality of the foreign coach. To me foreign coaches come into the game with an idea as to how they want the game to be played and the type of players with the suitable skillset to make that happen. However the salary and numbers cap means that the they have to extract the best of the players that the A-League has available. And above average players get sold off. In reality whichever coach comes into the game has to re-imagine the game to fit the players he has and with the knowledge that at least one of his players will not be there next season.

Which is I think that if we are to get a foreign coach then that coach must come from a stronger league than the A-League but should not be a country that has a top 10 league. Which is why I keep bringing the name of Eduardo Berrizo: took a middle of the table club (O'Higgins) in teh Chilean league to their only silverware and then took Celta De Vigo to the Europa cup but failed at bigger clubs. So he was successful with clubs with little money, mediocre facilities and small fan bases to silverware or the Europa league. He worked with what he had.

Having said that we should not forget Viteslav Lavicka, Guillermo Amor, and Joseph Gombau. A couple of others have also made an impression.

Or a coach that has been successful in a second or third tier club where there are tight finances, and the good players are sold on?

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well said.

Its nigh on impossible here to build what you want because you're constricted in just about every way you turn. Your philosophy or strategy almost needs to be able to adapt from week to week here due to the nature of the comp imo. That doesnt mean you have to change style and plan from week to week, but imo being married to a particular way will be your undoing down here.

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well said.

Its nigh on impossible here to build what you want because you're constricted in just about every way you turn. Your philosophy or strategy almost needs to be able to adapt from week to week here due to the nature of the comp imo. That doesnt mean you have to change style and plan from week to week, but imo being married to a particular way will be your undoing down here.

That's certainly true with Joyce, but I don't think that the salary cap or A-League rules have much at all to do with his failure. Just his own fixed ideas and incompetence at man-management.

• Like 1

Just now, Harrison said:

The information I and others had was that he had been sacked weeks ago. 

Clearly something has changed though. I have no idea what but there’s got to be a reason.

Maybe what has actually happened is that he has been told that he will be finishing at the end of the season, i.e. his contract won't be extended?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The information I and others had was that he had been sacked weeks ago. 

Clearly something has changed though. I have no idea what but there’s got to be a reason.

Tbf prior to derby I don't think many would have thought we would have had any points from those 2 games. And we should have won both. 

So maybe he has escaped the executioners axe but more likely he was never going to be sacked but just not renewed.

• Like 1