Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

59 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I get that some people will think its silly because it unorthodox, but i actually find it refreshing to have a coach react to the game, not just doing what everyone else does for the sake of it.

But Atkinson was well and truly stuffed after 70minutes, why not a like for like youngster replacement? Isn’t that reacting to the game as well. Was he so afraid that taking off Atkinson that would disrupt the team too much? I would love to be in Wazzas head.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But Atkinson was well and truly stuffed after 70minutes, why not a like for like youngster replacement? Isn’t that reacting to the game as well. Was he so afraid that taking off Atkinson that would disrupt the team too much? I would love to be in Wazzas head.

Maybe he didnt think he was? I didnt think he looked anymore spent than anyone else, if at all. I think our lack of forward penetration towards the end was more of a team wide mental thing than any player not being up to it specifically, but really its hard to know without asking them individually.
I dunno to me we didnt look likely to concede at that point so perhaps there he viewed it as why change whats working for the sake of it.

Edited by bt50

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I get that some people will think its silly because it unorthodox, but i actually find it refreshing to have a coach react to the game, not just doing what everyone else does for the sake of it.

Agree, I find it refreshing he is picking players that he thinks Merritt's it, rather than past reputation. Whether you agree with it or not, I find it refreshing and that he's willing to try little things, not going to crazy, but he's fishing and challenging players to find what he needs/wants and not pushing the same envelope in hope it will start achieving something different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

It's a good point re the subs. I noticed towards the end when we looked to waste time somewhat that Joyce was screaming at them to get on with it. I wonder if his theory is to get on with it in the interests of having the mentality that we are always the better side and dont need to give the opponent that mental edge.

Sitting near the bench I think Wazza wanted to avoid playing with 10 men for a small stretch (when we were increadingly under pressure) if the medical staff had to take Atkinson off the pitch.

I doubt Wazza suffers soft cunts and would want players to get up and get on with it.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

It's a good point re the subs. I noticed towards the end when we looked to waste time somewhat that Joyce was screaming at them to get on with it. I wonder if his theory is to get on with it in the interests of having the mentality that we are always the better side and dont need to give the opponent that mental edge.

Was that when someone (I forget who) was down on the ground? If so then I'm sure he was yelling that because he didn't want the physio to go out on the pitch. Would mean whoever that was would have to go off and we would be down to 10 men for a period of time. If not then I'd agree with what you said completely. 

Just now, n i k o said:

Was that when someone (I forget who) was down on the ground? If so then I'm sure he was yelling that because he didn't want the physio to go out on the pitch. Would mean whoever that was would have to go off and we would be down to 10 men for a period of time. If not then I'd agree with what you said completely. 

Yeh that and when bouzanis was dwelling on the ball and he told him to get it up the pitch.

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Yep. You've prob got a point there with Wazza. 

He strikes me very much as pragmatic, but thr numbet one thing he seems to thrive on is being mentally tough and consistent.

Hopefully thats the recipe that will get the best return from our players, and kids in particular. 

Time will judge that approach.

• Like 1

A-League coaches call for expansion by 2019-20 in bid to improve youth pathway

WARREN JOYCE (MELBOURNE CITY)

“More players on the bench gives you more opportunity to (push untried players). It would be a useful addition for all clubs.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aleague-coaches-call-for-expansion-by-201920-in-bid-to-improve-youth-pathway/news-story/db5b96b9053a7481768692934e1ba037

ha+ Waz's comment made me laugh, I doubt he would use all his subs if there was only 2 players on the bench.

Reading the Victory forum, they are all loving Joyce's attiude and how he doesnt bend over for players.

I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing? But they are worried that his 'culture' will allow us to stay above Victory on the table for the next few seasons.

6 hours ago, haz said:

Reading the Victory forum, they are all loving Joyce's attiude and how he doesnt bend over for players.

I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing? But they are worried that his 'culture' will allow us to stay above Victory on the table for the next few seasons.

This. I'd absolutely agree with them. We've seen that it doesn't matter who it is, if you're not up for his culture shift, you're going to be shipped out. I like this. Everyone's been crying out for a culture shift, now we're finally getting it people are cracking the sads.

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Hazzaverx said:

This. I'd absolutely agree with them. We've seen that it doesn't matter who it is, if you're not up for his culture shift, you're going to be shipped out. I like this. Everyone's been crying out for a culture shift, now we're finally getting it people are cracking the sads.

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

FYI @thisphantomfortress

• Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 2:09 AM, haz said:

I think it's because they are looking for Muscat to do the same, and see him not having the backbone Joyce has.

They are screaming for Muscat to axe a few players, yet he plays them week in week out.

9 minutes ago, bumpyknuckles said:

I think it's because they are looking for Muscat to do the same, and see him not having the backbone Joyce has.

They are screaming for Muscat to axe a few players, yet he plays them week in week out.

Not disimilar to us with JVS/Valkanis last year. Whether you agree with his style or decision even, you cant argue the bloke isnt scared to make a call.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

I'm really not sure. Of course he is better than JVS and we are third on the table but our playing style is fucking boring. It won't win us anything this year.

I'm worried he is just a Magilton with slightly better defensive organisation.  

But kudos for getting rid of Cahill after all his sooking and perhaps Macca and Fornaroli can form a partnership that makes us a tad less boring. 

The worry is that he will want our number 9 to do more defensive work so will keep Bruno on the bench and will play Malik or Jakobsen there....

28 minutes ago, dr lime said:

The worry is that he will want our number 9 to do more defensive work so will keep Bruno on the bench and will play Malik or Jakobsen there....

Said something similar in another thread mate. 

In an ideal world, we have Ross and Bruno firing up forward together with a decent number 10 signed in January to link up with them. 

But whether that actually happens is another story. 

9 hours ago, dr lime said:

I'm really not sure. Of course he is better than JVS and we are third on the table but our playing style is fucking boring. It won't win us anything this year.

I'm worried he is just a Magilton with slightly better defensive organisation.  

But kudos for getting rid of Cahill after all his sooking and perhaps Macca and Fornaroli can form a partnership that makes us a tad less boring. 

I'm sure that we won't recruit an attacking 10 in January, instead, Wazza plans to play Bruno there and keep Ross as a 9

I haven’t quite made up my mind about Wazza.

Best I can come up with so far is he might win a few games, but they are unlikely to be worth watching. I can see attendance falling rapidly as fans can’t be bothered turning up to watch a midfield packed with defenders.

God knows who’ll want to bring in January (seeing as he doesn’t use the quality he already has). Work horses and defenders who won’t say boo is my guess.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Best I can come up with so far is he might win a few games, but they are unlikely to be worth watching. I can see attendance falling rapidly as fans can’t be bothered turning up to watch a midfield packed with defenders.

God knows who’ll want to bring in January (seeing as he doesn’t use the quality he already has). Work horses and defenders who won’t say boo is my guess.

I'm in the same boat.

Earlier this morning I was looking at the team we had when we won the FFA Cup just over a year ago. Bouzanis, Franjic, Malik, Kilkenny, Colazo, Kamau, Cahill, Jakobsen, Fornaroli, Brattan, Brandan. Bench: Sorensen, Muscat, Chapman, Caceres, Fitzgerald.

Injuries (Bruno and Brandan) have taken their toll of course, but a number of those players are still with us and yet that looks altogether a more talented match-day squad than the sort favoured by Joyce. 

Perhaps he's managed to change the culture (although the number of stupid errors that are hurting us big-time make me question that) but it appears to have come at a cost to our appeal and entertainment value as a football club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What would you think of JVS or JA if they were making the decisions and playing the football that Wazza has? Imagine if it was Aloisi that:

1. Removed Cahill, Brandan (and possibly John Roberts) from the club and was forced to start a derby (that we lost) with Kamau and Mauk as a front 2.

2. Conceded 11 goals in the last 6 games despite loading the midfield with centre backs.

3. Was signing another centre back in January despite already having 6 centre backs (but only 1 striker).

4. Demoted last seasons B&F from the matchday squad.

5. Won only 2 of their last 8 games.

Edited by Jacques Le Cube
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

What would you think of JVS or JA if they were making the decisions and playing the football that Wazza has? Imagine if it was Aloisi that:

1. Removed Cahill, Brandan (and possibly John Roberts) from the club and was forced to start a derby (that we lost) with Kamau and Mauk as a front 2.

2. Conceded 11 goals in the last 6 games despite loading the midfield with centre backs.

3. Was signing another centre back in January despite already having 6 centre backs (but only 1 striker).

100% spot on 

The club is in a worse position now  then when jvs left. 

This 'culture'  he's creating includes pissing off all the best players in the team to the point they don't even want to be here anymore. 

He needs to go,  not up to it and has nfi what he is doing. 

Edited by kingofhearts
Boats n hoes

These statements above are heretic.

Wazza and Bouzanis are not experienced in their respective roles. Coach really tried not to lose last night. Bart was always the last man. We played better second half and game was set for a draw. The team played well within the limits of his game vision.

But we can have only one impact  inclusion and that's Bruno. That won't change his coaching style. Bruno or Ross will have to play MF. 

Jacobsen and Malik play well but it weakens us going forward. 

Still, Wazza makes more sane selections than many posters.

Just be patient, renew membership and hope for better overall staff and players signings in the future. 

7 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Just be patient, renew membership and hope for better overall staff and players signings in the future. 

Or how about go fuck yourself  instead?  

7 years now or whatever it's been for fucking nothing,  fuck this club 

Edited by kingofhearts
Man's not hot
  • Like 1

I still would like to know who, ultimately, is making the various decisions.

There's no doubt that the match-day decisions are being made by Joyce. Selections, match strategy etc.

But beyond that, who is it? Who makes the decisions to sign players, and who makes the decisions to let them go (and freeze them out and force them to go)? Certainly the former of these two is not Joyce, or not wholly Joyce. It's Petrillo. For example, Joyce isn't the idiot who signed Bouzanis until 31st May 2020 and Galekovic until 31st May 2019. And he wasn't involved in the Cahill fiasco etc. etc. What was his involvement in the Budzinski mess, and the signing of injury-prone Carrusca?

The responsibility for terminating players is also not clear to me - for example, it took the visit of Marwood to clean up the Cahill affair. Joyce went out of his way to express his regret at the loss of Caceres, so how hard did the club try to keep him and who signed-off on his departure?

I'm not trying to absolve Joyce from anything that he is responsible for. But our squad is weaker than it was 13-14 months ago when we won the FFA Cup, and to me the management responsibilities are not clear at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Did you read my post? What about it made you think I was happy? Or some sort of fan of Wazza’s style? Anyway in answer:

The same. Very concerned, but hoping that there is something going on I have missed that will make it all work out.

For what it’s worth I supported JVS for years and it wasn’t until JAs disastrous 2 season that I gave up on him.

oh you missed:

1 taking a genuine #10 (Mauk) and turning him into a “forward #6”

2 having one of the best playmakers in the league on the books but barely playing him when he was fit

3 taking a genuine talent in Genreau and ignoring him

4 playing a style that requires AAMI Park to employ special “fan awakeners” who go around the ground after full time rousing the thousands who are sleeping in their seats.

• Like 2

Joyce doesnt know what the fk he is doing. Post match conference was shit. He says the same shit like every other fkn week, "poor first half and good second half." Cant even coach a bunch of donkeys in a shit league but can coach players like Lingard, Pogba, Rashford and Martial

Fkn do something about this club. Fix our team in Jan or go back to England

We were shit as Heart and still shit as City. Ive lost faith.

Btw Bruce Kamau, Mauk and Fitzgerald are all shit