Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

5 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Is there any indication we have a new coach for next season? Surely, our puppet will not be re-signed after woeful performances and shit house tactics.

Nothing is a given regarding CFG but to reinstate Valkanis beyond this season would be very surprising. 

6 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Is there any indication we have a new coach for next season? Surely, our puppet will not be re-signed after woeful performances and shit house tactics.

You ought to know by now that with City Football Group there is never any indication of anything until it has actually happened.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sorry, but I'm no longer that confident.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where the club has not done their due diligence in time for the commencement of the season. All our players were well and truly signed during the preseason, the back room staff involved in the performance/recruitment side of things have also come on board well before the season has begun. I'm confident that the club is getting on the front foot with this. It's the actual decision on who they will bring in that I don't have total confidence in. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I'm trying to think of a scenario where the club has not done their due diligence in time for the commencement of the season. All our players were well and truly signed during the preseason, the back room staff involved in the performance/recruitment side of things have also come on board well before the season has begun. I'm confident that the club is getting on the front foot with this. It's the actual decision on who they will bring in that I don't have total confidence in. 

Surely, you would be confident the person they bring in has more brains than JVS and Valkanis? Could they get any worse?

Bear in mind that when we won the FFA Cup on 30th November we were second in the league and everything looked as though the JvS/Valkanis partnership was a masterstroke. CFG  would have been patting themselves on the back, and thinking that at last it was all going to plan, and were probably lulled into complacency. That's when the wheels fell off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Surely, you would be confident the person they bring in has more brains than JVS and Valkanis? Could they get any worse?

Knowledge/brains is different to man management and tactical nous. Fwiw, without any evidence, I think that JVS is extremely knowledgeable and seems to be a true student of the game. Alois at the time didn't have either. We need a manager that is very strong in the management/tactical nous area of coaching. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Knowledge/brains is different to man management and tactical nous. Fwiw, without any evidence, I think that JVS is extremely knowledgeable and seems to be a true student of the game. Alois at the time didn't have either. We need a manager that is very strong in the management/tactical nous area of coaching. 

I totally agree with you but this is what I can't get my head around. Any observer of the game knows that there are basically 3 aspects to the game, attack, defence and transition. So my question is why JVS, with all his knowledge has never really had a grasp on the importance of this. You can see this with his lack of game plan flexibility, where a true student of the game would study the opposition's strengths and weaknesses and customise a game plan to nullify their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. Then as a result convey his plan to the players. Unfortunately, like most observers, all I saw was a stubborn persistence with ' a one way will conquer all' game when other teams were just exploiting our weakness with the simplest one dimensional tactic you could think of. A true student of the game would attend to all of the above and we would be able to observe it from when a game starts to having a plan B or C to counter opposition tactics during the game.

And then there is the issue of playing players out of position and not playing the best players on the list, and it goes on.

I really struggle to make sense of it all tbh.

Ultimately the truest indicator of success on the pitch is the final score not how good the team is executing a plan because if a team needs to execute a plan perfectly to win then the plan is flawed. If anything the plan need to deal with 'what ifs' before anything else.

I may be way off the mark, but that's what I have observed with JVS together with my observations of the thousands of other games I have viewed as a reference.

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I totally agree with you but this is what I can't get my head around. Any observer of the game knows that there are basically 3 aspects to the game, attack, defence and transition. So my question is why JVS, with all his knowledge has never really had a grasp on the importance of this. You can see this with his lack of game plan flexibility, where a true student of the game would study the opposition's strengths and weaknesses and customise a game plan to nullify their strengths and exploit their weaknesses. Then as a result convey his plan to the players. Unfortunately, like most observers, all I saw was a stubborn persistence with ' a one way will conquer all' game when other teams were just exploiting our weakness with the simplest one dimensional tactic you could think of. A true student of the game would attend to all of the above and we would be able to observe it from when a game starts to having a plan B or C to counter opposition tactics during the game.

And then there is the issue of playing players out of position and not playing the best players on the list, and it goes on.

Ultimately the truest indicator of success on the pitch is the final score not how good the team is executing a plan because if a team needs to execute a plan perfectly to win then the plan is flawed. If anything the plan need to deal with 'what ifs' before anything else.

I may be way off the mark, but that's what I have observed with JVS together with my observations of the thousands of other games I have viewed as a reference.

Interesting that you talk about JvS there and his degree of "flexibility." There was a time in the Heart era - I'd have to work hard to dig up the articles - where he was widely lauded for his tactical nous and preparedness to change tactics during a match. However, that flexibility subsequently disappeared, especially during the City era. His only success as a manager has been the FFA Cup this season, and I have to say that IMO that was really the only time I have seen us actually play to our strengths and put it all together when it counted. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, playmaker said:

I disagree that the final result of an individual game is the best measure.

In fact I'd say that in a first past the post scenario that's absolute bullshit. Good managers (or 'students of the game') would recognise a good performance will get you a result more often than not.

You confuse what JVS has said ie 'a good performance' with what happened on the field: slow ball movement, players out of position and so forth or in more simple terms sub par football. We haven't really played well all year with the exception of the first 3 weeks.

For mine al large percentage of the blame lay at the feet of JVS and the guy he must be sleeping with Scott Munt. Munn employed him in the first place then I'm sure gave a glowing review to land him the gig the second time. His head needs to fly too.

I'm sorry, but matches are determined by the result and no other measure or statistic. And trophies are determined by results. It's losing sight of these two facts that is and has been our problem, and our coaches and club have spent far too much time and energy focussing on the wrong things. Last season was the perfect example. Top of the ladder with two matches to go. Arnold would never have let that chance slip away and we would be in the ACL this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

I disagree that the final result of an individual game is the best measure.

In fact I'd say that in a first past the post scenario that's absolute bullshit. Good managers (or 'students of the game') would recognise a good performance will get you a result more often than not.

You confuse what JVS has said ie 'a good performance' with what happened on the field: slow ball movement, players out of position and so forth or in more simple terms sub par football. We haven't really played well all year with the exception of the first 3 weeks.

For mine al large percentage of the blame lay at the feet of JVS and the guy he must be sleeping with Scott Munt. Munn employed him in the first place then I'm sure gave a glowing review to land him the gig the second time. His head needs to fly too.

To a point I see what you are saying but if you look at each individual game as a collective then you can't dispute the result being the ultimate measure of success.

And if a team plays a certain way on a consistent basis then to the observer it is a directive from the manager which is also confirmed by the contents in post match interviews.

Whatever the theories, the whole thing of doing the same thing over and over again and failing over and over again and not pro-actively installing change to get a different result just doesn't make sense. A manager needs to be smarter than that.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 5:51 PM, jw1739 said:

I'm sorry, but matches are determined by the result and no other measure or statistic. And trophies are determined by results. It's losing sight of these two facts that is and has been our problem, and our coaches and club have spent far too much time and energy focussing on the wrong things. Last season was the perfect example. Top of the ladder with two matches to go. Arnold would never have let that chance slip away and we would be in the ACL this year.

Our problem wasn't that we performed well and didn't get results it's that we performed poorly hence why we didn't get results.

Arnold, Ang, Pep, Mourinho and Conte these guys are all about process and performance. They know if they get this right they will win games. They are judged by results but they work by process. Big Sam is about results. I know what approach I prefer.

JVS simply tried to apply a performance based approach. Unfortunately for us he is just a shit coach with a shit process who shoe horned our guys into a static and predictable setup. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have a coach who is looking for certain performance indicators. If you keep losing it just means the coaches performance indicators are not a decent measure of success or the coach is not getting the squad to fulfil those outcomes. But it doesn't mean the approach is flawed.

I think what we can both agree on is that neither performances or results have been good this season and that is largely attributable to poor coaching. 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2017 at 0:18 PM, jw1739 said:

Interesting that you talk about JvS there and his degree of "flexibility." There was a time in the Heart era - I'd have to work hard to dig up the articles - where he was widely lauded for his tactical nous and preparedness to change tactics during a match. However, that flexibility subsequently disappeared, especially during the City era. His only success as a manager has been the FFA Cup this season, and I have to say that IMO that was really the only time I have seen us actually play to our strengths and put it all together when it counted. 

You remember the Christmas derby 2011? Getting played off the park and he changed our shape and we had one of the greatest wins in the clubs history. A similar thing happened away to Sydney that season. JVS I. JVS II steady as she goes.

Interesting comment from Guardiola after Manchester City's 2-0 win away to Sunderland. Let's hope some of his philosophies filter across our new manager.

City have kept five successive away clean sheets in all competitions and have 10 away league wins, although Guardiola was still not totally satisfied. "It was a good victory," he said. "But we were passing the ball between ourselves in the last 25 minutes." "I don't like to defend a result and be near our box. It is okay if you're 3-0 or 4-0 up but not 2-0."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Amen to that JW 1739 when we went 2-0, my first thought was oh here we go again pass the ball across the back line lose possession and concede then lose or at best draw.

At best we were very lucky to take the three points. Bloody diabolical defending and immobile mid field .

Both Okon and Jones have surprised me how well they have done, they certainly value add to their teams. It will be interesting how they will go next year when they can start to build their squads, it shows the difference a good coach can have.

• Like 2

As if we didn't all know what this team needs, we can't sign this dude but this is the sort of coach that we need

Germany’s 'Mini-Mourinho' taking the Bundesliga by storm

julian_nagelsmann.jpg?itok=x7tCjQz4&mtime=1489454969

If you haven’t heard the name yet, you soon will. Maybe you’ve even heard that statement previously. It’s already Nagelsmann’s trademark saying.

And if he keeps up his current progress, the 29-year old – you read right – might just be the next manager to leave a serious imprint on the world of football.

Amid all the commotion of Red Bull Leipzig’s title charge, the re-emergence of 1899 Hoffenheim has been largely overshadowed this season.

But it shouldn’t be – the club from the Sinsheim region is only one point behind third-placed Dortmund and on track to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Nagelsmann is one of the youngest managers in world football, and by far the youngest to have ever coached in the Bundesliga. Former German international and ex-Hoffenheim goalkeeper Tim Wiese has already dubbed him as “Mini-Mourinho”.

The most incredible fact? He has never even kicked a ball as a professional. Yet his players love him.

“Julian is one of a kind. He understands how a player thinks but always exudes authority. He is an absolute expert and cannot be worked out by opponents,” said midfielder Niklas Süle.

Dortmund finish well to hit Leverkusen for six

Borussia Dortmund obliterated Bayer Leverkusen with a late flurry to win 6-2 in a thrilling encounter at Signal Iduna Park, piling the pressure on Roger Schmidt and capitalising on RB Leipzig's slip-up.

“Analysis of opponents is one of his strengths. He has always set us up very well. We can play for clean sheets, as we have already done a few times, but we are also able to create chances.”

Nagelsmann nearly made it, playing at the youth level for 1860 Munich and Augsburg (playing briefly under now-Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel) as a strapping, 190 centimetre centre-back before successive knee injuries prevented his progress, forcing a premature retirement.

He briefly studied Business Administration and then Sports Science, both of which complemented his coaching aspirations – which he nurtured with assistant roles at the junior teams of 1860 Munich and then Hoffenheim.

Eventually, he was given the lead role at Hoffenheim’s under-17 team in 2011, before stepping up to become the fully-fledged assistant of the senior team in 2013, confirming his potential. The club then assigned him full responsibility of their highest junior team, the under-19 side, between 2013 and 2016.

So impressed was the club hierarchy that in October 2015, it was announced he would be made head coach for the following season. However, when interim coach Huub Stevens quit for health reasons in February, Nagelsmann prematurely found himself in the hot seat.

At the time, Hoffenheim were second last, seven points from safety and almost certain to return to the 2. Bundesliga – which would have been the first time the club had been outside the top flight side the 2007-08 season.

Despite his relative inexperience, Nagelsmann gave a sign of what was to come, spearheading a remarkable turnaround as Hoffenheim won seven of their final 14 matches to finish 15th, one point clear of the relegation play-off.

Some critics were moved to write off Hoffenheim’s improvement as little more than a knee-jerk reaction to a change in management and that surviving in 2016-17 would prove much harder to sustain.

Hoeness tells Bayern fans not to expect major signings

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness says the club will focus on developing youngsters rather than spend big on new signings in the coming years.

Instead, Nagelsmann has fashioned results from a squad that contains barely no known names. It’s here that his genius can be seen. He gets to players where it matters most: between the ears.

“Every player is motivated by different things and needs to be addressed accordingly,” he told Süddeutsche Zeitung.

“At this level, the quality of the players at your disposal will ensure that you play well within a good tactical set-up – if the psychological condition is right.”

His philosophy is borne out across the field, but especially in attack. Sandro Wagner (10 league goals), Andrej Kramarić (eight goals), and Mark Uth (six goals) were all relatively hyped products many years ago before their careers went south.

Kramarić was a record £9 million ($14.5 million) flop at Leicester City, Uth had to go to the Netherlands after being cut by Köln in 2012 and Wagner had been at clubs like Bayern, Werder and Hertha without making an impact. The latter is now the second-highest German scorer in the Bundesliga (behind only Red Bull’s Timo Werner).

So successful has the front third been that one highly-touted player, Chilean World Cup star Eduardo Vargas, was offloaded to Mexican club Tigres in January.

At the back, the once-unheralded Benjamin Hubner has been so good that a national team call-up isn’t out of the question. Likewise, goalkeeper Oliver Baumann has been outstanding. Almost every player in the first team is performing better under Nagelsmann.

Curiously, or perhaps just humbly, Nagelsmann doesn’t consider himself a tactical genius, despite admitting his admiration for Arsene Wenger and Pep Guardiola.

“I like to attack the opponents near their own goal because your own way to the goal is not as long if you get the ball higher up,” he said.

“It’s just a question of five or ten meters, whether it’s a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-2-1; you only see teams adhering to that at kick-off and perhaps eight times during the game.”

An interesting observation, to say the least. One suspects we’ll hear plenty more of them in the decades to come.

15 hours ago, malloy said:

Mate, STFU or I will ban you. 

Numerous threads you have posted random garbage and tagged your mate.

I honestly don't know who this bloke is. I think he is just one of my mates creating a troll account. Please feel free to ban him, he's really annoying me.