Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

"Adelaide were desperate today and when they were pinned back they were fighting for their lives, defending the box, desperately, and in the end you have to congratulate them on getting the three points,” he told reporters. “It was their do-or-die game as well… understanding their situation they were going to give everything and we knew it would be [like] a Grand Final.” 

I don't see anything wrong with what he said tbh. They did fight and congratulating them for the win is nothing to be overly concerned about. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Claiming it was like a Grand Final for Adelaide makes an argument that the reason City lost were not because they were so bad but because Adelaide were so desperate. Sounds like an excuse to me.

It sounds like unjustified arrogance to me. Why would the rest of the league treat a mid-table side like us as a grand final?

You have to actually be an intimidating prospect on the pitch to make those statements. But I suppose we do have some pretty sweet training facilities...

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Claiming it was like a Grand Final for Adelaide makes an argument that the reason City lost were not because they were so bad but because Adelaide were so desperate. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Totally agree. It should have been like a grand final for us, also. We needed to win to keep in touch with the top 2. We were playing for higher stakes. No excuse. Unless playing for top is not seen as a big deal. Which may be caused to us having a finals system.

Edited by 3 Points
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Because it's an opportunity for our coach to actually honestly communicate with members and fans, and the message isn't that great TBH.

This. Plenty of coaches tell it how it is. I get a bit tired of listening to fluff comments after 7 years of it and would like a manager with the balls to say something negative when its well and truly deserved.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Because it's an opportunity for our coach to actually honestly communicate with members and fans, and the message isn't that great TBH.

You're naive if you think anyone can communicate completely honestly in a press conference. At the end of the day its all spin and PR.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You're naive if you think anyone can communicate completely honestly in a press conference. At the end of the day its all spin and PR.

I dont think they are going to be completely honest and start calling out specific players or what have you. But it would be nice to hear one of our coaches finally acknowledge that we showed no fight. Every season we see the same shit happen with a variation of the same fluff comment about it. I am so fucking sick of it.

The best pr is not treating your audience like morons

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I dont think they are going to be completely honest and start calling out specific players or what have you. But it would be nice to hear one of our coaches finally acknowledge that we showed no fight. Every season we see the same shit happen with a variation of the same fluff comment about it. I am so fucking sick of it.

Correct the club and the FFA will never allow a coach to say what he really thinks about Tim Cahill and that we are better off with 10 men.

That he rather not start a game with him but poster boy needs to start when fit, that is in his contract with the FFA.

Edited by Mr MO

26 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

100% correct. 

Sick of this stinky attitude. It's all about job preservation and not upsetting the boss who is dictating our game style. 

Voulkanis is at the very beginning of his potential senior coaching gig. 

He will tippy toe around the real issues. 

Need a real manager who can not only make this rubble into something worth watching but also have some back bone to stand up to cfg and their stubborn ways

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Please let's get Giovanni Trapattoni out of retirement:wub:

If our coach had an interview like this due to the under-performance with a supposedly champion team which has just played us out of top of the league, I would have total faith in him to do the right thing for the club, members and fans.

• Like 1

JVS left but the coaching circus continues. His assistant ( Valkanis ) is now in charge, but only to continue with the same political and bad coaching.

Why political ? Because Cahill does nothing, Colazo is very poor for a markee player, Brattan has been bad for a while, but for some reason, they're untouchable.

Valkanis, as did JVS, lacks the balls to remove or replace cahill ( most of all ) or any of the other players mentioned.  It doesn't matter how poor they keep performing, they must be kept in the starting 11 or on the field.

Why bad coaching? Eg; v Adelaide he sends Fitzgerald ( a natural winger) to the stands. In the 83rd minute ( why did he take so long to make changes?) of the game he replaces Kamau ( a winger. Imo,didn't deserve to come off) with Caceres ( an AM ). The obvious change was Caceres for Cahill as a 10 from the start of second half.

If this clown and the bs continues, MC won't even make the finals.

Team v the CCMs :  ..................................... Bouzanis........................................................
                                 Franic.............. Ruon................... Jackobsen............................ Rose
                                 .............................Kilkenny............... Retre........................................
                                 Kamau............................. Caceres....................................... Brandan
                                 .........................................Fornaroli..........................................................

Bench : Sorensen Fitzy Colazo Cahill Malik

• Like 2

We were were probably all foolish to expect anything else.

Mike Valkanis - or MvS for short.

But seriously, if this guy has any pretensions of becoming a manager the he needs to show that he is capable of independent thought. Which so far he hasn't. There may be certain preferences coming over from CFG, but they also emphasise success, and so far this guy is a nothing more than a clone of JvS. IMO his post-match comments after the Adelaide defeat were appalling and just treated City fans as if they are shit. Congratulating Adelaide for taking the three points because they wanted it more - that's an insult to us.

This thread was started in jest, but has already taken on a serious tone. Get rid of him as soon as possible and we might just hold on to a top four place. Otherwise it's season over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We were were probably all foolish to expect anything else.

Mike Valkanis - or MvS for short.

But seriously, if this guy has any pretensions of becoming a manager the he needs to show that he is capable of independent thought. Which so far he hasn't. There may be certain preferences coming over from CFG, but they also emphasise success, and so far this guy is a nothing more than a clone of JvS. IMO his post-match comments after the Adelaide defeat were appalling and just treated City fans as if they are shit. Congratulating Adelaide for taking the three points because they wanted it more - that's an insult to us.

This thread was started in jest, but has already taken on a serious tone. Get rid of him as soon as possible and we might just hold on to a top four place. Otherwise it's season over.

For me the season is already over. Of course, I would love to be proved wrong but I am looking forward to a new manager for next season. The most significant part of the turn over list in years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Suggests to me they've got their man and he can't start until season has ended.

Probably adds weight to the Avram Grant rumour given he is at AFCON coaching Ghana atm

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Suggests to me they've got their man and he can't start until season has ended.

Probably adds weight to the Avram Grant rumour given he is at AFCON coaching Ghana atm

I'd be putting my money on Avram Grant now too (Unless Michel will work behind the scenes). Wouldn't be surprised if this decision of Valkanis was made in regard to Ghana's progression in AFCON, now that Ghana are guaranteed a quarter final position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Must say I'm surprised at this. Seems so unnecessary to announce anything. Agree that it suggests a few things:
- they do have their man for the next season;
- but he won't be Valkanis;
- JvS won't be returning;
- Board still thinks we can achieve the objectives set for the season.

• Like 3