Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

31 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We have a chance of beating Adelaide at home, all the other remaining games are almost certain loses. I'm expecting a 5th place finish and then a quiet exit after the first week.

The way they are starting to find some chemistry up forward, a loss is more than likely. I would say it's more likely to be a thrashing before we announce Amor is our next manager.

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The way they are starting to find some chemistry up forward, a loss is more than likely. I would say it's more likely to be a thrashing before we announce Amor is our next manager.

I think that this game is our best chance of a win, a draw is also possible though. I don't think we'll get smashed though. Of course Jakobsen will still be held back for the final! I can't see us winning any of the away games though, its our traditional end of season collapse.

• Like 1

Valkanis won't be sacked. He'll continue to be Interim Head Coach until our final match of the season. My feeling is that CFG have written Melbourne City off this season - they've put in a big investment and they're not prepared to splash any more cash - and that we have to make do with what we've got in terms of coaching staff and players.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Valkanis won't be sacked. He'll continue to be Interim Head Coach until our final match of the season. My feeling is that CFG have written Melbourne City off this season - they've put in a big investment and they're not prepared to splash any more cash - and that we have to make do with what we've got in terms of coaching staff and players.

It was a write-off once we knew JVS would stay on for this season.

• Like 3

Foundation member. Club volunteer. Yarraside from day one. Etc etc etc etc.

If this club don't sign for a world class coach next season i am done. Not just "i won't be renewing my membership" done. I mean done. Like vote out in the "in or out" poll way.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Foundation member. Club volunteer. Yarraside from day one. Etc etc etc etc.

If this club don't sign for a world class coach next season i am done. Not just "i won't be renewing my membership" done. I mean done. Like vote out in the "in or out" poll way.

We do not need a world class coach. It will not work since we will not have a world class players any time soon. We need a coach proven to be efficient in small league with tight salary cap. No more experiments.

But I am fully share your sentiment and at the moment very much doubt any serious intentions of the CFG towards our Club.

Was quite envious to watch Arnold on TV shouting at his players when they did something wrong even being on top of the game. That's how a coach in the small league should behave - actively monitoring what's going on and be involved. Valkanis was clearly out of touch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MXG said:

We do not need a world class coach. It will not work since we will not have a world class players any time soon. We need a coach proven to be efficient in small league with tight salary cap. No more experiments.

But I am fully share your sentiment and at the moment very much doubt any serious intentions of the CFG towards our Club.

Was quite envious to watch Arnold on TV shouting at his players when they did something wrong even being on top of the game. That's how a coach in the small league should behave - actively monitoring what's going on and be involved. Valkanis was clearly out of touch.

Was written in the heat of the moment. And yes proven or competent coach is more what i meant

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

This guy near me was bagging the shit out of valkanis

and someone else near me was saying dont bag our coach

The guy told the other guy to piss off. I agree

And you did, you stood up and gave him crape, you joined this guy because Valkanis is utterly shit, a coach with no ideas or guts! A coach who loves to play fellow Greeks regardless of having a visa player on the bench.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And you did, you stood up and gave him crape, you joined this guy because Valkanis is utterly shit, a coach with no ideas or guts! A coach who loves to play fellow Greeks regardless of having a visa player on the bench.

Valkanis deserves every spray he gets.

Cmon seriously, he has been with coaches like gombau, Amore and JVS and learnt nothing. I glad he has left. Well 99% sure he will be

22 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Really?  What a fucked up comment. I'm sure JVS was playing Bouzanis. 

Yes really fucked up isn't it! Because JVS did, he is not our coach is he?!?! I said no guts because he kept going with this bullshit. In a salary capped league with only 5 visas these guys must play and be better than the second choice, Sorensen is better is just a better keeper at the moment.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes really fucked up isn't it! Because JVS did, he is not our coach is he?!?! I said no guts because he kept going with this bullshit. In a salary capped league with only 5 visas these guys must play and be better than the second choice, Sorensen is better is just a better keeper at the moment.

And a better leader, something that we obviously missed in our defence. Totally agree with you

Valkanis unconcerned by own future

By Clement Tito

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/valkanis-unconcerned-by-own-future-459371

Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis has confirmed Thomas Sorensen and Nicolas Colazo will not be at the club next season.

Following their 2-0 home loss to Perth Glory in the elimination final Valkanis confirmed their exit after he was asked about it post-match, but revealed there are no other departures.

And asked about whether it was his last game in charge since taking over former coach John van ’t Schip in January, Valkanis was unsure.

“I don’t know, it doesn’t concern me at the moment,” Valkanis said of his future.

“The disappointment of losing, the bigger picture is Melbourne City, not me.

“Right now is not the time to talk about this, not right now.”

Valkanis lamented his team’s sense of urgency after they finished with just two shots on target and conceded two goals on the counter-attack within the first 30 minutes.

“Are we desperate enough to block Diego Castro’s goal? Dino Djulbic prides himself on blocking goals,” he said.

“Very disappointed, simply the first half we didn’t turn up, we were impotent going forward.

“Defensively, we didn’t defend those two goals and I don’t know, because there’s a lot of work that’s gone into it and it’s the same problem week in week out.

“I guess it’s going to be a time where we need to take time off, review everything and see what we have to do as a club to be better next year.”

11 minutes ago, haz said:

Valkanis unconcerned by own future

By Clement Tito

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/valkanis-unconcerned-by-own-future-459371

Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis has confirmed Thomas Sorensen and Nicolas Colazo will not be at the club next season.

Following their 2-0 home loss to Perth Glory in the elimination final Valkanis confirmed their exit after he was asked about it post-match, but revealed there are no other departures.

And asked about whether it was his last game in charge since taking over former coach John van ’t Schip in January, Valkanis was unsure.

“I don’t know, it doesn’t concern me at the moment,” Valkanis said of his future.

“The disappointment of losing, the bigger picture is Melbourne City, not me.

“Right now is not the time to talk about this, not right now.”

Valkanis lamented his team’s sense of urgency after they finished with just two shots on target and conceded two goals on the counter-attack within the first 30 minutes.

“Are we desperate enough to block Diego Castro’s goal? Dino Djulbic prides himself on blocking goals,” he said.

“Very disappointed, simply the first half we didn’t turn up, we were impotent going forward.

“Defensively, we didn’t defend those two goals and I don’t know, because there’s a lot of work that’s gone into it and it’s the same problem week in week out.

“I guess it’s going to be a time where we need to take time off, review everything and see what we have to do as a club to be better next year.”

No other departures? Brattan, Caceres loans? Rose, Gameiro, Kuzi contracts finish 31/05/17? That means we'll have virtually the same squad as 2016/17?

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No other departures? Brattan, Caceres loans? Rose, Gameiro, Kuzi contracts finish 31/05/17? That means we'll have virtually the same squad as 2016/17?

Chill JW, it's only been several hours since the season finished. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Rose will probably retire but gameiro and kuzi need to go. Taking up 2 spots. Next season we can get 5 visas or something like that. Give it a month or 2, it is when we will find out who we get as a coach and what players we get as well

7 hours ago, belaguttman said:

mea culpa

Yep, nail in the coffin. Might have made a difference if he'd had the courage to say something similar 8-10 weeks earlier. Instead, he treated us and pundits who pointed out the obvious issues in the team with ridicule and contempt. 

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/04/22/city-shake-perth-final

On the eve of the match, Valankis isn't revealing any planned changes but one thing is for sure - City will attack and won't die wondering.

Valkanis said he'd learned from his years at reigning champions Adelaide United that sticking to a philosophy could bring rich rewards.

"You know what really frustrates me?," Valkanis said.

"We deem good football to be a team defending, structured with lines and we say 'Oh, fantastic; well coached; they defend so well'.

"But if we see a team attacking and creating so many opportunities ... the score last week could have been 4-5 but, because we didn't defend well, we were criticised.

"We do things differently to everyone else. We're not that structured team.

"We're unpredictable. They won't know what we're doing. A lot of teams don't know.

"I have been somewhere where I've seen it happened and how it's evolved over three years."

He said that a few days out from last night's debacle and then he has the gall to say that the coaching staff was well aware of the problems, but couldn't change courses mid-stream.

He's treating us like idiots. He can get the fuck out of my club and I hope he never comes back.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

has a better win record than JVS..  which isnt saying much.

FIrstly, i think the next cent city spend should be on a decent manager.  and they should be doing it asap.  valkanus can stay on as an assistant but only if they have someone with a big enough presence to bring some discipline into the team and manage some of the ego's and carrying on in game.  it's painful to watch.

Valkanus -   42.86% win ratio
G    W    D    L
14   6      1    7

JVS   -   42.03% win ratio
G   W    D     L
69  29   17    23

to be fair that does include JVS's time as a heart manager when there wasnt the same level of investment in the squad.

also valkanus has not had a chance to oversee recruiting like JVS did, so this is not his squad.

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

valkanus can stay on as an assistant

He needs to be on the next plane to Siberia to coach the U12s. Get him the far far away from us together with all the staff that has been exposed to the JVS culture.

Kisnorbo needs to be assistant to bring the youth's culture into the mens. The way they conducted themselves against Brisbane was encouraging and showed exactly what the men's team lacked.

We need to start the preseason with a clean slate.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nah brah said:

has a better win record than JVS..  which isnt saying much.

FIrstly, i think the next cent city spend should be on a decent manager.  and they should be doing it asap.  valkanus can stay on as an assistant but only if they have someone with a big enough presence to bring some discipline into the team and manage some of the ego's and carrying on in game.  it's painful to watch.

Valkanus -   42.86% win ratio
G    W    D    L
14   6      1    7

JVS   -   42.03% win ratio
G   W    D     L
69  29   17    23

to be fair that does include JVS's time as a heart manager when there wasnt the same level of investment in the squad.

also valkanus has not had a chance to oversee recruiting like JVS did, so this is not his squad.

Ultimate A-League shows van 't Schip's overall record as 142 matches, 52 wins, for 36.11%

Valkanis' overall A-league record (Adelaide + City) 24 matches, 8 wins, 33.3%. Valkanis' record with City 15 matches, 6 wins, 40%.

Neither good enough to win a Premiership, although both could fluke a Championship or Cup win once in a while. Which, of course, we did this year.

The other thing I would point out is that as Valkanis' was appointed as Head Coach "...for the remainder of the 2016-17 season." Nothing remains of our season and therefore I think it fair to assume that he's no longer in the position.
http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/michael-valkanis-appointed-melbourne-city-fc-head-coach/19nw972wzjihh1rr02gcp5u616

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Ultimate A-League shows van 't Schip's overall record as 142 matches, 52 wins, for 36.11%

Valkanis' overall A-league record (Adelaide + City) 24 matches, 8 wins, 33.3%. Valkanis' record with City 15 matches, 6 wins, 40%.

Neither good enough to win a Premiership, although both could fluke a Championship or Cup win once in a while. Which, of course, we did this year.

The other thing I would point out is that as Valkanis' was appointed as Head Coach "...for the remainder of the 2016-17 season." Nothing remains of our season and therefore I think it fair to assume that he's no longer in the position.
http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/michael-valkanis-appointed-melbourne-city-fc-head-coach/19nw972wzjihh1rr02gcp5u616

But the stats dont show how we lost and who we lost to, which is more important because it shows the lack of manager tactics, on and off the field, not addressing the teams weaknesses, and overall lack of pro-activity.

With the list we had our managers were the poorest in the league.

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

But the stats dont show how we lost and who we lost to, which is more important because it shows the lack of manager tactics, on and off the field, not addressing the teams weaknesses, and overall lack of pro-activity.

With the list we had our managers were the poorest in the league.

Fair enough, but I would be bloody near fulltime on this if I kept every statistic...

Valkanis' record while he was our Head Coach (15 Matches):
We beat: WSW(H), CCM(H), Phoenix(A), CCM(A), Newcastle(H), Adelaide(H). 
We drew with: Brisbane(H)
We lost to: Adelaide(A), Newcastle(A), Victory(A), Sydney(H), WSW(A), Sydney(A), Perth(A), Perth(H).

Highlighted teams finished below us on the table.

I sometimes wonder whether anyone at the club looks at statistics like these, because when we do it is so bloody obvious how bad we are.

• Like 3