Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

20 minutes ago, 3 Points said:

From this I'm reading that our squad is not as good as what people think and the City group have wasted their money assembling this group of players.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2017/01/28/32031342/valkanis-stop-disrespecting-the-a-league?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FePzE6dH8e5

Yes, Valkanis is correct. It isn't a PlayStation game. In real life we have managers who are responsible for assembling teams with parts that fit together and sculpting those parts so that they are efficient at playing a gamestyle that is suited to them. If all we're going to get from Valkanis is square pegs ind round holes and excuses every week, he can get out of the way and we'll try someone else. I guess the fact that they felt it worthwhile to announce that they were removing his interim title and giving him the reins for a whole 13 games before they find someone better says it all.

39 minutes ago, 3 Points said:

From this I'm reading that our squad is not as good as what people think and the City group have wasted their money assembling this group of players.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2017/01/28/32031342/valkanis-stop-disrespecting-the-a-league?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FePzE6dH8e5

I don't think that there's much doubt that the squad is not as good as people thought it was going to be, and its weaknesses are being compounded by dumb coaching.

In my book players such as Bouzanis, Rose, Malik, Muscat, Franjic, Brattan, Arzani, Retre and Kamau are all either poor signings to begin with or are underperforming. With injuries to Gameiro and Kuzi and the departure of Chapman this leaves a huge hole in the squad.

The team is not being set up to get the best out of the others. At the rate we are going we could well finish out of the six.

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

At the end of the day he's a caretaker coach, so we're getting a caretaker coach service.

It was a bit naive to think that just because he was in charge now he was going to bring in sweeping changes. I doubt he'll change much if anything over the next few weeks unfortuantly.

But he's a complete dummy nevertheless. Because we don't need sweeping changes. Play the back four 20m deeper, transition the ball quicker, and play Cahill off the bench, get the other substutions better organised, and we can still "play the way we want to play" and win matches at the same time. The media can see it, we can see it, every other team in the league can see it, but the dummy cannot.

• Like 4

I honestly think that there are people on this Forum who could do a better job, and at the very least would do no worse. With the experience and talents of of the players we have, I'm certain of it. All they need is someone who's good at harnessing what they offer - it's the same with any management job.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I honestly think that there are people on this Forum who could do a better job, and at the very least would do no worse. With the experience and talents of of the players we have, I'm certain of it. All they need is someone who's good at harnessing what they offer - it's the same with any management job.

Haha with due respect, and as much as i probably agree tactically I'm not really sure that would be the case. Having the respect of, and being able to manage the personalities of the dressing room is a much harder task than I reckon many here appreciate.
I agree it is hard to imagine that a complete shake up of tactics as many of us have suggested on here wouldn't make for vastly improved results regardless of 'having the dressing room' but yeh i dunno, if it was that easy everyone would do it i guess.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Haha with due respect, and as much as i probably agree tactically I'm not really sure that would be the case. Having the respect of, and being able to manage the personalities of the dressing room is a much harder task than I reckon many here appreciate.
I agree it is hard to imagine that a complete shake up of tactics as many of us have suggested on here wouldn't make for vastly improved results regardless of 'having the dressing room' but yeh i dunno, if it was that easy everyone would do it i guess.

Well, I hear what you say but I don't wholly agree with you. My experiences (outside football) are that there is a "management club" that tends to promote from within and via the "old boy network" and that it's very hard to get into that club if you are an outsider. Also I've done quite a bit of management theory and training, and a major problem with managers "who have experience in a particular field" is that they tend to micromanage and not let the team who reports to them get on with the job and make the technical decisions.

Anyway, I'm offering my services. I'll do it for nothing as well, just for the love of the club. And I reckon with a leadership group of players we could do better than 33%.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I hear what you say but I don't wholly agree with you. My experiences (outside football) are that there is a "management club" that tends to promote from within and via the "old boy network" and that it's very hard to get into that club if you are an outsider. Also I've done quite a bit of management theory and training, and a major problem with managers "who have experience in a particular field" is that they tend to micromanage and not let the team who reports to them get on with the job and make the technical decisions.

Anyway, I'm offering my services. I'll do it for nothing as well, just for the love of the club. And I reckon with a leadership group of players we could do better than 33%.

Yeh of course, it’s definitely harder to get a job from outside the circle, in this case former players often are the first to get picked up as assistants and then move into the manager role when they are deemed ready. Sometimes, and often in the case of legends of the game, this is before time because the fan sentiment and marketing value is so high that the club pulls the trigger before their ready. Think Aloisi for Heart. I think I saw an article once that said about 25% of managers admitted they weren’t ready when they got their first gig.

The jobs for the boys theory is probably applicable at first when they are drafted in as an assistant, but generally speaking, and I stress that because there are always exceptions, I don’t really think that is an issue when it comes to the actual manager. The bad ones are always weeded out, as judged by their peers.
Club environments are always striving to be better, even if the people making those decisions aren’t very good at making them. The clubs will almost always appoint who they think are the best candidate available; the problem comes when their judgement of ‘best’ doesn’t match reality.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I think (hope) Valkanis's influence is starting to show. Looking more organised, playing more purposeful football. To organise a defence properly takes weeks, especially coming off such a low base.

I get concerned as we have a championship material team and if fornaroli was playing last night he would have scored as the team was playing better with more space in the midfeild but the way we played against victory after we scored was a disaster 

21 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I think (hope) Valkanis's influence is starting to show. Looking more organised, playing more purposeful football. To organise a defence properly takes weeks, especially coming off such a low base.

I hate to be the bearer  of bad news,  but I have no doubt  in my mind we will go back to play the great  old city way when we get our senior  players  back this week.  Only reason  we were so defensive  was because we we're  playing  with a bunch  of nobodies last week

54 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I hate to be the bearer  of bad news,  but I have no doubt  in my mind we will go back to play the great  old city way when we get our senior  players  back this week.  Only reason  we were so defensive  was because we we're  playing  with a bunch  of nobodies last week

And we should have won 2-0 if we take out the illegal decisions made.

Go figure. Defensive = win

How does that work. :unsure:

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

And we should have won 2-0 if we take out the illegal decisions made.

Go figure. Defensive = win

How does that work. :unsure:

What has that got to do with anything i posted?

At the end of the day, our playing style changed in our last game for 2 reasons:

1) Valkanis saw the error of his ways in the first few games he coached, and has now bought back our defensive line so we are not pressing as high

2) Valkanis saw the team he was going to play and went "oh shit, we are fucked!" and changed our style because he knew we were going to struggle to score, essentially parking the bus and hoping for a draw.

Call me cynical but i think the only reason that we changed our style of play last week was due to personnel, not due to valkanis having a brain blast.

I reckon that he'll simply just swap in the usual suspects this week, and we'll be back to trying to high press for 90 minutes. I hope i'm wrong, but thats how i feel sorry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

At the end of the day, our playing style changed in our last game for 2 reasons:

1) Valkanis saw the error of his ways in the first few games he coached, and has now bought back our defensive line so we are not pressing as high

2) Valkanis saw the team he was going to play and went "oh shit, we are fucked!" and changed our style because he knew we were going to struggle to score, essentially parking the bus and hoping for a draw.

Call me cynical but i think the only reason that we changed our style of play last week was due to personnel, not due to valkanis having a brain blast.

I reckon that he'll simply just swap in the usual suspects this week, and we'll be back to trying to high press for 90 minutes. I hope i'm wrong, but thats how i feel sorry.

You may or may not turn out to be correct but if JVS were still here he would have played the same yoof but also played the exact same high defensive line and frenetic pressing combined with glacial ball speed game that he always instructed the team to play

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I am agreeing with you. I was just making a point of how a defensive set up actually can have a better scoring potential. But I totally agree with what you are saying.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, playmaker said:

It's mostly PR crap.  We'll see the usual XI with only Pierias and the reserve keeper on the bench.

My big prediction... Fitzy to miss out completely on the match day squad.

Edited by haz

The guy is in fairyland, still talking about how good we were against Adelaide, and how we continue to not score but dominate the game. And then shirking the comment about  scoring being more important to the fans and then saying that they (management group) look deeper than just the scores as if we are all football ignorant. The guy is a tosser. He obviously is not looking deep enough or looking in the wrong place, because to the fan with our supposably inferior insight, it is quite obvious what your team's problem is, it's your game plan, your game style, your attitude, and your leadership.

Actually the problem is you.

Get f#cked

• Like 3