Melbourne Football

Video Refereeing Coming to HAL

haz

2 hours ago, haz said:

Long story short, we will be the first team to use a video referee for our 2nd last game of the regular season

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-sets-date-for-var-system-to-be-used-in-the-aleague-20161229-gtjhem.html

Fucking stupid decision. Along with everything else this season with City, will only add to my unhappiness with the way my beloved game of football is going.

• Like 2

"The appeal of video referees to broadcast partners is one of the major factors behind the FFA's eagerness to introduce the polarising technology"

Have you guys not yet realised that Foxtel runs this league and not the FFA?

Literally every decision is made by Foxtel, even micro decisions like deciding when the players come out of the tunnel before a game (there is a foxtel guy that stands there and says when its okay).

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

"The appeal of video referees to broadcast partners is one of the major factors behind the FFA's eagerness to introduce the polarising technology"

Literally every decision is made by Foxtel, even micro decisions like deciding when the players come out of the tunnel before a game (there is a foxtel guy that stands there and says when its okay).

I think we all know it deep down inside, but still carry the flickering hope that it isn't actually true. It's probably bearable if you support a winning team, but becoming hard to bear when you support a crappy one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

I will not let you shatter my illusion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The desperation to get cahill to the league certainly makes more sense. With foxtel losing the EPL, it was a good move for them to get people to watch the A-League instead. 

IMO the Cahill thing worked well in the first instance and got more people to take notice of the A-League, and got off to a good start with the R2 derby. This was maintained up to our FFA Cup win, albeit slightly soured by other clubs' applications for "guest marquees" being knocked back (albeit with good reason). Since then IMO the Cahill effect has dropped off along with our form and the interest in the league is being generated by the form of Sydney and MV rather than Cahill.

I'm astonished that TV channels think that video refereeing will do anything positive for the A-League. If you're not already interested in football I can't see why VAR would make any difference.

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

That has to be worrying, they want football to have the same bullshit drama as Nrl/Afl 

They should just ban  slow motion replays . Which they do at our home games anyway (yeah I find it annoying but a minute later I have forgotten about it). Then we get to only make a call as the ref would see it, in real time. Look at last night with Perth's goal. Yeah it probably was very slightly off side and even the fox replay with that graphic was inconclusive. There is no way any ref could make the 'correct' call at that speed and when even technology doesnt make it clear. In the end it was the right call because things like that should be benefit of the doubt to the attacking team. 

Could you imagine if that was referred? It would have taken minutes to slow it down zoom in then zoom out to see when the ball was struck etc etc.  What a screen cant do is allow you to hear the ball when it is struck which is how lots of linesman judge offside.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone so against this technology look at last night for an example.

Errors like this happen every week, if each team were able to get 2 chances to refer contentious decisions each game we wouldn't have such poor decisions deciding football games.

We can all lie to ourselves and say "refs errors are a part of the game" but why have that as an excuse when we have the technology now to eliminate that aspect? It is just a cop out I'm sorry. If people can't sit for a couple of minutes and wait for a video review then they can go watch the big bash