Melbourne Football

Rd. 13 vs. Central Coast, Sat 31st Dec, Gosford 7.00 pm

jw1739

Early in the season we looked fabulous.  What worries me is that good players seem to get worse the longer they are with us (Caceres, now Colazo appears to be going the same way) and players that appeared to be poor with us get better when they leave (Jack Clisby springs to mind).  This can only be down to coaching and/or morale. Either way, something us very wrong.

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Early in the season we looked fabulous.  What worries me is that good players seem to get worse the longer they are with us (Caceres, now Colazo appears to be going the same way) and players that appeared to be poor with us get better when they leave (Jack Clisby springs to mind).  This can only be down to coaching and/or morale. Either way, something us very wrong.

Plenty who have left us have faded away into nothing. IMO the better measure to look at is how many players have definitely improved while with us and gone on to better things? Mooy would be the stand-out I suppose. Curtis Good did fairly well with Bradford City. Clisby would be another by all accounts. Possibly Hoffman. How many can we name - not too many I suspect?

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

It's a "Natural Law of JVS" to turn good players into shit ones using the magic of his Total Football Game Plan. It's been this way ever since he arrived and will only be exorcised when he gets the arse. Even then they'll have to fumigate the training facilities to remove the remaining stench.

4 hours ago, IssySG said:

Come on man, it was funny. Just as long as it's a one off and other teams dont start doing it then live and let live.

Nope, it was disrespectful, against the laws of the game and it sends a message that that type of shit is ok. Don't care it was just a kid takin the piss, it was a rubbish move and the Mariners should be made to pay.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Nope, it was disrespectful, against the laws of the game and it sends a message that that type of shit is ok. Don't care it was just a kid takin the piss, it was a rubbish move and the Mariners should be made to pay.

Especially when they took out the corner post on one of their goals...

29 minutes ago, rass said:

Especially when they took out the corner post on one of their goals...

If that was done before the kick was taken then that is against Law 17. 

I'm not sure that the ball boy removing the flag was against the rules of the game - a goal had been awarded and play had not been restarted so the ball was not in play. TBH I'm not sure that the ballboy's actions were much different from Cahill's goal celebration routine. Both could be interpreted as interference with pitch markings/equipment.

Probably the appropriate action would be for FFA to write to all the clubs reminding them of their responsibilities.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Plenty who have left us have faded away into nothing. IMO the better measure to look at is how many players have definitely improved while with us and gone on to better things? Mooy would be the stand-out I suppose. Curtis Good did fairly well with Bradford City. Clisby would be another by all accounts. Possibly Hoffman. How many can we name - not too many I suspect?

I think what I'm trying to articulate jw is the sense that a talented squad is increasingly failing and underperforming, particularly as a collective group.  Good players are looking mediocre, or failing to perform effectively in the context of the team.  At the same time, I'm worrying that players that we release will prove not to be poor players, but players who didn't or couldn't perform at City.  I suppose it's a concern too that considerable investment and potential is being wasted because management, tactics, motivation, team spirit are not adequate.  I'm concerned about the poor or inconsistent performance of some players, the freezing out of others, and the imbalance in the squad, particularly the lack of real depth in defence (which for example is now weakening our defensive midfield because we continue to pick an unfit or out of form Brattan, and to play Kilkenny as a defender, when he should be playing a genuine midfield role.  I'm not sure I can articulate the complexity of the problem, or the tactical solution, other than change of management.  But I do sense it's all gone badly wrong.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think what I'm trying to articulate jw is the sense that a talented squad is increasingly failing and underperforming, particularly as a collective group.  Good players are looking mediocre, or failing to perform effectively in the context of the team.  At the same time, I'm worrying that players that we release will prove not to be poor players, but players who didn't or couldn't perform at City.  I suppose it's a concern too that considerable investment and potential is being wasted because management, tactics, motivation, team spirit are not adequate.  I'm concerned about the poor or inconsistent performance of some players, the freezing out of others, and the imbalance in the squad, particularly the lack of real depth in defence (which for example is now weakening our defensive midfield because we continue to pick an unfit or out of form Brattan, and to play Kilkenny as a defender, when he should be playing a genuine midfield role.  I'm not sure I can articulate the complexity of the problem, or the tactical solution, other than change of management.  But I do sense it's all gone badly wrong.

I agree with everything you say. I wasn't trying to contradict. Rather, I expressed myself poorly. What I was trying to say was that the problem is actually much worse than just that talented players fail to perform at Heart/City, it's that they decline so much that only a handful have ever performed well when they leave us. So many players have passed though our hands that it just cannot be the fundamental attributes of those players, it has to be how they are used (or misused) while they are with us - therefore it is management that is the problem. IMO evidence supporting that diagnosis is that we can't keep an Assistant Coach (except our GK coach) for any length of time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If that was done before the kick was taken then that is against Law 17. 

I'm not sure that the ball boy removing the flag was against the rules of the game - a goal had been awarded and play had not been restarted so the ball was not in play. TBH I'm not sure that the ballboy's actions were much different from Cahill's goal celebration routine. Both could be interpreted as interference with pitch markings/equipment.

Probably the appropriate action would be for FFA to write to all the clubs reminding them of their responsibilities.

Oops sorry JW. I meant that they knocked over the corner post celebrating one of their goals.

25 minutes ago, rass said:

Oops sorry JW. I meant that they knocked over the corner post celebrating one of their goals.

OK, thanks. Overall I don't really think FFA should worry too much about these sorts of things. If we sanitise the game too much it loses a lot of its appeal. As an example, I'll never forget Germano's "Santa hat" goal celebration for us - to my mind that was something that the referee and FFA should have let pass. It will remain as an absolute classic of the game.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I disagree that it should be overlooked. The ball boy is a match official and his actions could have ended a lot worse if Timmy had taken offence. There have been instances where ball boys have had players sent off after a player reacted badly to the ball boy, and even ball boys have been sent off for trying to manipulate play ... By allowing this to go unpunished, it sends a message that ball boys can do this type of crap every time Timmy scores. As a one off it seems like no big deal, I'm looking at the precedent being set

I walked out on the last 10 minutes of the game and have only just watched it. We could have scored 3-4 times in that time. For a fleeting moment there the JVS game plan was thrown out the window and we saw what the team is capable of when they play quicker and more direct. 

Ready for slow sideways and backwards possession based football again this coming Friday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

I disagree that it should be overlooked. The ball boy is a match official and his actions could have ended a lot worse if Timmy had taken offence. There have been instances where ball boys have had players sent off after a player reacted badly to the ball boy, and even ball boys have been sent off for trying to manipulate play ... By allowing this to go unpunished, it sends a message that ball boys can do this type of crap every time Timmy scores. As a one off it seems like no big deal, I'm looking at the precedent being set

Fair enough. Bring brought up on English football when ball boys weren't heard of I wasn't aware of their status in the scheme of things.