Melbourne Football

Will we dominate as the salary cap increases?

haz

With the salary cap set to increase to $2.85m (possibly higher),  will we start to finally create a dominance in the HAL or continue in mediocrity?  JVS should be gone for next season and with a coach who isn't tanned or called John I can see us finally creating a Gap between the other "top"  teams in the league.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, haz said:

With the salary cap set to increase to $2.85m (possibly higher),  will we start to finally create a dominance in the HAL or continue in mediocrity?  JVS should be gone for next season and with a coach who isn't tanned or called John I can see us finally creating a Gap between the other "top"  teams in the league.

Until some clubs become unable or unwilling to pay up to the cap, then in theory all the clubs remain equal. Again, in theory, once some clubs fail to pay up to the cap for whatever reason, theoretically the richer clubs will gain the edge, and once the cap goes altogether then IMO we would expect the richer ones to dominate the league. Again, with the best facilities in the league, and the biggest scouting network, we ought to be able to maintain an edge over the other clubs, and also afford the best coaches in the league.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and so far we have not shown the dominance that I suspect many thought we would already be showing. The FFA Cup is not much to show so far. We still cough up far too many points by conceding goals late in matches, and IMO that's the very opposite of "dominance."

• Like 2

IMO the one constant in teams who build dynasties (cap or not) is talent management; both in replenishing players who leave / get old and adapting to new tactics / strategies.

Given the network we have, I feel we've started to see the Club's "dominance" come through (even with the cap). Pound for pound, our five visas are fucking awesome and best in league (our five visas vs other five visas) comparatively as the sum of all parts.

The thing now is to be bringing / attracting / developing the best young talent year in year out.

Oh and have the creme de la creme of head coaches

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haz said:

We'd dominate the league as long as we have a different coach even if the salary cap didn't increase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

IMO the one constant in teams who build dynasties (cap or not) is talent management; both in replenishing players who leave / get old and adapting to new tactics / strategies.

Given the network we have, I feel we've started to see the Club's "dominance" come through (even with the cap). Pound for pound, our four visas are fucking awesome and best in league (our four visas vs other five visas) comparatively as the sum of all parts.

The thing now is to be bringing / attracting / developing the best young talent year in year out.

Oh and have the creme de la creme of head coaches

Corrected. We have one visa spot rotting away on the bench. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Prefer transfers between A league clubs to be allowed, even if within certain parameters.

I would rather the visa exemptions first. Would result in an instant boost to the league quality. It would also free up cap space for aus players that you want to keep long term. I would also like a tax on the visa exempt players spend, something like 10% on salaries over 500k a year or something which goes into a pool of some sort to keep a kind of equalization. Sure it can be seen as 'unfair' but the reality is in a 10-14 league team with no relegation there needs to be something to allow the less wealthy teams to have a chance. Currently the aleague can be won by anyone provided you get the coach, staff and players right and I think its important to keep that but allow the wealthier clubs to continue to build the league as a whole. 

Edited by Dylan

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

I would rather the visa exemptions first. Would result in an instant boost to the league quality. It would also free up cap space for aus players that you want to keep long term. I would also like a tax on the visa exempt players spend, something like 10% on salaries over 500k a year or something which goes into a pool of some sort to keep a kind of equalization. Sure it can be seen as 'unfair' but the reality is in a 10-14 league team with no relegation there needs to be something to allow the less wealthy teams to have a chance. Currently the aleague can be won by anyone provided you get the coach, staff and players right and I think its important to keep that but allow the wealthier clubs to continue to build the league as a whole. 

1. Instant boost? that is debatable - it would depend on the quality of scouts and local players being ins the same ball park. refer to ADP, Sydney FC and Ian Crook/Frank Farina

2. Keep Australian players longer? Also debatable. Milligan, formerly of MV, is earning petrol dollars, no club would spend that much on him; Mooy has the opportunity of playing EPL - no A-League club can compete with that incentive.

3. I like the idea of a tax or alternatively for the FFA to keep some money to provide some equalization. To me a couple of suggestions would be to ensure that all clubs have decent training facilities or to instigate an FFA scouting network. I note that the Roar do not have a stable training ground (nor does the AFL's Brisbane Lions) so perhaps a contribution and partnership could assist them (as well as WP). I understand that the MLS have their own scouting network that assist the clubs and that would be a better thing as well.

With our current squad we should be dominating now. 

If our current formation and tactics are being mandated by CFG, and there is no flexibility to move beyond this (to a formation and set of tactics that better suit our squad's strengths and weaknesses), a strengthened squad and better players is absolutely necessary to achieve league domination. Otherwise, forget it.

CFG need to understand in this salary capped league, what works for Man City (& Barcelona) with a world class squad, cannot be delivered by an A-League team in a manner that wins championship. Through our weak links, of which there are many, the CFG approach will consistently fail and be exploited by opposition coaches quite easily.

For now, I think CFG need to work on (and accept) a hybrid approach to its footballing philosophy for Melbourne City that ensures a solid staunch defence which is the foundation of the team. Surely there is a formation that still allows 'beautiful' possession based high pressing that does not sacrifice the defence. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

With our current squad we should be dominating now. 

If our current formation and tactics are being mandated by CFG, and there is no flexibility to move beyond this (to a formation and set of tactics that better suit our squad's strengths and weaknesses), a strengthened squad and better players is absolutely necessary to achieve league domination. Otherwise, forget it.

CFG need to understand in this salary capped league, what works for Man City (& Barcelona) with a world class squad, cannot be delivered by an A-League team in a manner that wins championship. Through our weak links, of which there are many, the CFG approach will consistently fail and be exploited by opposition coaches quite easily.

For now, I think CFG need to work on (and accept) a hybrid approach to its footballing philosophy for Melbourne City that ensures a solid staunch defence which is the foundation of the team. Surely there is a formation that still allows 'beautiful' possession based high pressing that does not sacrifice the defence. 

What I saw today especially in the first half was possession based football but boring as all hell. Backward and sideways constantly with barely any opportunities on goal isn't my idea of beautiful football. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Hold your horses, we won't dominate anything if we keep playing like yesterday. Total shite, we could not keep possesion for one or two passes, transition- what  transition we were that slow even i at age 77 could have regained the ball from City. God almighty, what in hell happened to beautiful football, we will not be anywhere near the top four until that flog JVS has gone .

Can you play left back?