Melbourne Football

Melbourne VS Keogh and Ko (27 December)

strider

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

Assuming there is only one spot (which really there is for a striker in this setup) Cahill put in a better shift than Fornaroli last night. So next week you pick him up top simples really.

Now you could argue for a formation change but seriously JVS.

I'm sorry but once again this is just straight up not right. We played both Cahill and Bruno last night. They both scored, and Bruno scored 2. If he had put in even one of the penalties he missed we would have won and he would have had a hattrick. Last night was probably the first time this season that Bruno has played well at the same time as Cahill. They were both influential and they linked up with one another really well. Last night, if anything, proved to me that they actually can be on the pitch together and it would work. We looked genuinely dangerous with both of them on as they both worked together well. We drew 3-3 last night. We scored two great goals and a penalty. Bruno made two mistakes, (both of which I would say are fantastic saves more than anything) and you want to hang him out to dry? You've got to be taking the piss. It's not Bruno's fault that we copped three shit goals on the counter playing three at the back. You can call him a "sacred cow" as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that he was one of the best players on the park last night barring two kicks he didn't score from, just like he's been our best and most consistent player over the last two seasons. Bruno for me is the first name on the teamsheet every single week and to say otherwise is just bullshit.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rass said:

Worst feeling ever. Celebrating a 3-1 lead to sit down 30 seconds later at 2-2. Complete fuk up from everyone involved. 

12 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

worst feeling at any heart/city game, should have won that 5-0
useless defending/tactics 
should of switched pen taker for the 3rd 
caceras is shit
home end looked very empty but got loud as everyone hated what was happening on the pitch
how much more needs to happen before serious action gets taken with the officials in this country? clear goal disallowed, booked player gives 2 pens away and no 2nd yellow, other thuggery not carded, dino should of been off long before the end. 1 minute added time in the 1st half which had 4 goals and pens??????
The game won't grow with fuckwits in charge

I haven't felt this bad at or about a Heart / City performance since that Christmas derby when Archie Thompson scored in injury time.

Just when I think the club has turned the corner (recruited well, won a trophy while battling through a tough month of fixtures, have had games where we've shown character, etc etc), we dish up that fucking useless shit of a performance.

Pure and simple, champion clubs and champion teams put those games to bed.

Our defense this proves the old adage; quality strikers can win you games but a good defense wins you league.

This fucking club had better get its fucking shit in order, sharpish. 

So fucking pissed off

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

I think that it's all been said

forget about winning any more silverware else this season

On another point

can something be done about the the warm up guy

he is ssssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooo loud and coupled with his inane comments its a double slap in the face and an insult to your intelligence. 

Added to that the volume of the music made it nigh on impossible to have a conversation with the person sitting next  to you, let alone anyone else

the result made me feel even worse

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 1

Agree, the pre-match audio is so antisocial its a joke. Maybe everyone should call the antisocial behaviour hotline at the game and tell them to turn down the volume volume piss it off all together.

And that Kilkenny interview was spot on, the referees are incompetent and a blight on our game. I have respect for the guy.

And as for people bagging Bruno, come on.

We scored 3 goals so our forwards did their job and we still couldn't win which reflects the team's inability to defend. If people believe we need to score 5 goals a match to win then that's a problem in itself. Once we are able to defend the counter then we will be unstoppable, but it won't happen until JVS realises that he needs to be proactive prior to a game and reactive during the game to tactically defeat the opposition. And that won't happen because he is a stubborn moron.

Edited by playmaker

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I'm sorry but once again this is just straight up not right. We played both Cahill and Bruno last night. They both scored, and Bruno scored 2. If he had put in even one of the penalties he missed we would have won and he would have had a hattrick. Last night was probably the first time this season that Bruno has played well at the same time as Cahill. They were both influential and they linked up with one another really well. Last night, if anything, proved to me that they actually can be on the pitch together and it would work. We looked genuinely dangerous with both of them on as they both worked together well. We drew 3-3 last night. We scored two great goals and a penalty. Bruno made two mistakes, (both of which I would say are fantastic saves more than anything) and you want to hang him out to dry? You've got to be taking the piss. It's not Bruno's fault that we copped three shit goals on the counter playing three at the back. You can call him a "sacred cow" as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that he was one of the best players on the park last night barring two kicks he didn't score from, just like he's been our best and most consistent player over the last two seasons. Bruno for me is the first name on the teamsheet every single week and to say otherwise is just bullshit.

Did you watch and form your opinion on one game in isolation? 

I suspect you have. Go and watch nearly every game this season. Then come and tell me that Bruno and Cahill work in the formation we have. If you believe that they are working well together and it doesn't unbalance the team, good for you but I don't believe they are. I'll point you to our record which for our list (easily the best on paper) isn't all that crash hot because we are poor at the back. But being poor at the back isn't just a reflection on the keeper and the defenders in isolation, it is a reflection of the blend and balance of the whole team.

A midfield of Cahill, Kilkenny and Brattan is great on paper but only one of those three really brings work rate and defensive intensity. He is already busting his arse. Cahill isn't really a midfielder anymore as he lacks the legs to continuously close down . Brattan needs workers around him to allow him to dictate more (yes he has been struggling). Cahill also doesn't bring the play making and passing range of a more traditional 10. So we drop Brattan and we really lack a passing midfielder (although he really needs a kick in the pants) or we move Cahill out of the middle and bring in someone more versatile to do more of the leg work. This is how we can sure up our defence by having another more mobile midfielder work box to box. The issue maybe that we don't have this guy on our list. Perhaps Malik plays the Kilkenny roll and Kilkenny steps up a touch higher leaving Brattan as the 10?

So if Cahill doesn't play as a 10 because really he doesn't fit there (despite your protests) were does he play? The same place he plays for his country perhaps? (Or perhaps Ange has no idea? wink wink the best coach in a league history)

Now to play in the position he is now most suited too it would mean Bruno plays as a 10 or drops to the bench (or plays out wide??). Or it means Cahill drops to the bench. Based on their most recent game, Cahill starts. If you prefer Bruno up top then for balance I'd argue Cahill starts on the bench. I have no issue with which one you prefer to start but for me Cahill was the better of the two last night.

I agree stack the coach etc and a better coach would have them purring along but we don't have that and it hasn't happened. So at least try a new combination if we aren't going to try a plan b setup like a 4-4-2 where perhaps both can play.

Sometimes the best team you put on the park doesn't have your 11 best players in it.

I'm not hanging him out to dry, I'm saying if you don't want to cop three on the counter play a more balanced side.

As for your statements of 'this is straight up not right'. Drop the bullshit. It's only your opinion and this is only mine. Stop trying to pass your ideas (or lack of because you don't advocate changing anything) as fact. The fact is we drew at home to a team that has lost it's last three and any blind freddy could see how they would setup is pretty average. Each goal was predictable as fuck. Even though we dominated proceedings we couldn't get a result here. If you want more of the same keep rolling the same team with the same instructions out. We will beat some teams, draw plenty of games we should win and lose the odd one. But if we do that we simply won't win the league. 

Finally I'm not really interested in back and forth forum disagreements. I've stated that Cahill and Bruno in the side in the current setup leaves us exposed at the other end. Which so far it has this season. If you disagree, I respect your right too and I'll leave it there. I simply believe the weight of evidence in the form of virtually every game they have played together suggests that the current setup with them at 9 and 10 means that we aren't as balanced as we should be and the results this season are displaying that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

And as for people bagging Bruno, come on.

We scored 3 goals so our forwards did their job and we still couldn't win which reflects the team's inability to defend. If people believe we need to score 5 goals a match to win then that's a problem in itself. Once we are able to defend the counter then we will be unstoppable, but it won't happen until JVS realises that he needs to be proactive prior to a game and reactive during the game to tactically defeat the opposition. And that won't happen because he is a stubborn moron.

I agree for the most part but to miss two penalities in a game is unforgivable I'm sorry. We shouldn't have to score 5 goals a game to win but we were given some pretty bloody good opportunities yesterday to score and for Bruno to fuck it up like he did is completely unacceptable. He did play better then he has previously but he has to share some of the blame for the loss yesterday for fucking up in front of goal.

Until we get either Malik or Jacobsen we are going to have to rely on our forwards to outscore the opposition because we ain't stopping shit with the players we have available currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

can something be done about the the warm up guy
he is ssssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooo loud and coupled with his inane comments its a double slap in the face and a insult to your intelligence. 
Added to that the volume of the music made it nigh on impossible to have a conversation with the person sitting to you, let alone anyone else

fucken love him, after our 3rd goal he pretty much ran down to the northern end, bout a bay away from the perth fans and did the goal announcement, then high fived fans on the way back, cares more about the club than jvs 

26 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

...The issue maybe that we don't have this guy on our list. Perhaps Malik plays the Kilkenny roll and Kilkenny steps up a touch higher leaving Brattan as the 10?

I think you've touched on something here and that is the underrated role Malik plays in our structure. I think it's vital as I see it freeing both Kilkenny and Brattan. 

33 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I agree for the most part but to miss two penalities in a game is unforgivable I'm sorry. We shouldn't have to score 5 goals a game to win but we were given some pretty bloody good opportunities yesterday to score and for Bruno to fuck it up like he did is completely unacceptable. He did play better then he has previously but he has to share some of the blame for the loss yesterday for fucking up in front of goal.

Until we get either Malik or Jacobsen we are going to have to rely on our forwards to outscore the opposition because we ain't stopping shit with the players we have available currently.

Amen...

52 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Did you watch and form your opinion on one game in isolation? 

I suspect you have. Go and watch nearly every game this season. Then come and tell me that Bruno and Cahill work in the formation we have. If you believe that they are working well together and it doesn't unbalance the team, good for you but I don't believe they are. I'll point you to our record which for our list (easily the best on paper) isn't all that crash hot because we are poor at the back. But being poor at the back isn't just a reflection on the keeper and the defenders in isolation, it is a reflection of the blend and balance of the whole team.

A midfield of Cahill, Kilkenny and Brattan is great on paper but only one of those three really brings work rate and defensive intensity. He is already busting his arse. Cahill isn't really a midfielder anymore as he lacks the legs to continuously close down . Brattan needs workers around him to allow him to dictate more (yes he has been struggling). Cahill also doesn't bring the play making and passing range of a more traditional 10. So we drop Brattan and we really lack a passing midfielder (although he really needs a kick in the pants) or we move Cahill out of the middle and bring in someone more versatile to do more of the leg work. This is how we can sure up our defence by having another more mobile midfielder work box to box. The issue maybe that we don't have this guy on our list. Perhaps Malik plays the Kilkenny roll and Kilkenny steps up a touch higher leaving Brattan as the 10?

So if Cahill doesn't play as a 10 because really he doesn't fit there (despite your protests) were does he play? The same place he plays for his country perhaps? (Or perhaps Ange has no idea? wink wink the best coach in a league history)

Now to play in the position he is now most suited too it would mean Bruno plays as a 10 or drops to the bench (or plays out wide??). Or it means Cahill drops to the bench. Based on their most recent game, Cahill starts. If you prefer Bruno up top then for balance I'd argue Cahill starts on the bench. I have no issue with which one you prefer to start but for me Cahill was the better of the two last night.

I agree stack the coach etc and a better coach would have them purring along but we don't have that and it hasn't happened. So at least try a new combination if we aren't going to try a plan b setup like a 4-4-2 where perhaps both can play.

Sometimes the best team you put on the park doesn't have your 11 best players in it.

I'm not hanging him out to dry, I'm saying if you don't want to cop three on the counter play a more balanced side.

As for your statements of 'this is straight up not right'. Drop the bullshit. It's only your opinion and this is only mine. Stop trying to pass your ideas (or lack of because you don't advocate changing anything) as fact. The fact is we drew at home to a team that has lost it's last three and any blind freddy could see how they would setup is pretty average. Each goal was predictable as fuck. Even though we dominated proceedings we couldn't get a result here. If you want more of the same keep rolling the same team with the same instructions out. We will beat some teams, draw plenty of games we should win and lose the odd one. But if we do that we simply won't win the league. 

Finally I'm not really interested in back and forth forum disagreements. I've stated that Cahill and Bruno in the side in the current setup leaves us exposed at the other end. Which so far it has this season. If you disagree, I respect your right too and I'll leave it there. I simply believe the weight of evidence in the form of virtually every game they have played together suggests that the current setup with them at 9 and 10 means that we aren't as balanced as we should be and the results this season are displaying that.

First of all, Cahill didn't even play midfield last night, he was up top playing off Bruno. The midfield three were Brattan, Kilkenny and Caceres. As for basing my opinion off one game, I'd say your basing your opinion off of two spot kicks and ignoring the rest of the match. The fact is Bruno and Cahill played great together last night. I know it hasn't been working so far this season, but why would you drop Bruno the week after it actually does work? If you want to talk about dropping somebody to provide more balance surely that player would be Caceres? I don't think I saw him hit one pass last night and he's been poor all season, but you chose to criticise Bruno? I know that your opinion is your opinion, but I think your opinion is based on the incorrect idea that Bruno played poorly last night, or that his form warrants dropping, which is wrong.

1 minute ago, GreenSeater said:

First of all, Cahill didn't even play midfield last night, he was up top playing off Bruno. The midfield three were Brattan, Kilkenny and Caceres. As for basing my opinion off one game, I'd say your basing your opinion off of two spot kicks and ignoring the rest of the match. The fact is Bruno and Cahill played great together last night. I know it hasn't been working so far this season, but why would you drop Bruno the week after it actually does work? If you want to talk about dropping somebody to provide more balance surely that player would be Caceres? I don't think I saw him hit one pass last night and he's been poor all season, but you chose to criticise Bruno? I know that your opinion is your opinion, but I think your opinion is based on the incorrect idea that Bruno played poorly last night, or that his form warrants dropping, which is wrong.

But Cahill didn't play specifically upfront. It's JVS bullshit fluid play where players can go wherever they want. I saw Cahill  roaming allover the place. I saw him in defence a handful of times picking up the ball, on the wing and in the midfield. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

For Chrissake stop bagging the players.

Everyone except one person on the forum agrees that 90-95% of everything that happens on the field is a result of jvs' shit coaching and tactics.

However their are rare instances in which the players need to be held accountable for fucking up. This is one of those instances where Bruno needs to be held accountable for what happened. Jvs didn't tell him to miss those penalties (although I wouldn't be surprised lol) kamau missed a pretty good chance too

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Everyone except one person on the forum agrees that 90-95% of everything that happens on the field is a result of jvs' shit coaching and tactics.

However their are rare instances in which the players need to be held accountable for fucking up. This is one of those instances where Bruno needs to be held accountable for what happened. Jvs didn't tell him to miss those penalties (although I wouldn't be surprised lol) kamau missed a pretty good chance too

Do you think that he doesn't feel accountable? And the way some of you are going on you actually want him benched as some form of punishment? We've already got one visa player on the bench, another injured, now you want one of our marquees on the bench as well? What fucking good will that be?  The way people are going on here we'd have about five players on the field, all the rest being "accountable."

Players miss penalties. Top players take atrocious penalties from time to time.

Move on.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Do you think that he doesn't feel accountable? And the way some of you are going on you actually want him benched as some form of punishment? We've already got one visa player on the bench, another injured, now you want one of our marquees on the bench as well? What fucking good will that be?  The way people are going on here we'd have about five players on the field, all the rest being "accountable."

Players miss penalties. Top players take atrocious penalties from time to time.

Move on.

Fe, fwiw i would/have never said that i would have him benched, rather its important that as someone who is paid very well he needs to be performing better then he has lately. But i'll drop the point and move on for now. Hopefully this performance at the penalty spot was an anomaly  and we won't see it again

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

He didn't miss the penalty, ie the target; the shots got saved by some very very very good goalkeeping. If Bousanis saved two penalties from Castro then we would hail him a hero, such is the case with Perth and Reddy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

He didn't miss the penalty, ie the target; the shots got saved by some very very very good goalkeeping. If Bousanis saved two penalties from Castro then we would hail him a hero, such is the case with Perth and Reddy.

he didnt miss the penalty???? 

Bahahaha 

Seriously....

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

The first one which was saved was a shit penalty, kicked right at reddy, fmd redders would've saved that. The second one bruno took credit where credits due, reddy made a good save.

But if we're all comfortable with bruno scoring one out of every three penalties, tops :up: 

Again, not advocating he get beheaded in federation square for the game but you could argue his fuck up cost us the game. Lets be honest. I thought the rest of the game he was better then what he has been previously but when it really mattered he chocked.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

fucken love him, after our 3rd goal he pretty much ran down to the northern end, bout a bay away from the perth fans and did the goal announcement, then high fived fans on the way back, cares more about the club than jvs 

http://www.nathanstrempel.com.au/

yep cares about  the club, just like all the other clubs he cares about. just doing his job.

Good luck to him in his profession, it just irritates me that he is so fucking loud, a sentiment that was echoed by almost everyone in the sections 11, 12 & 13 last match

• Like 1