Melbourne Football

A-League XI

Celt

Not too clued up on everything A-League, so would like to know what regular watchers think. 

No particular formation, whatever would suit the best players with a bit of balance. 

A-League should do a squad like this to play a high profile friendly like the MLS does. Put the funds back in to the league year in year out, earn the clubs more coin. 

11 hours ago, Celt said:

A-League should do a squad like this to play a high profile friendly like the MLS does.

Did it a few years ago. It is such a bullshit American concept, like their meaningless east vs west all star games.

Then they inevitably lose to some big European club's 2nd XI, making the A-League look like a mickey mouse competition. 

13 hours ago, strider said:

If we're talking best performers this season (not star power) then it is this IMO:

aleague.jpg 

That squad has the top scorers, top assists, top clearances. rojas doesn't have a fifa card 

Cool, familiar with all of these players. What about Matt McKay? 

Who would be the stand out full backs in the competition?

6 hours ago, Blackout said:

Did it a few years ago. It is such a bullshit American concept, like their meaningless east vs west all star games.

Then they inevitably lose to some big European club's 2nd XI, making the A-League look like a mickey mouse competition. 

Aye, defos an American concept, but you guys like to roll it out too in some ways. State of Origin and the International Rules, I believe. 

Pretty pessimistic way to look at it, good way for the leagues best to showcase their ability against good players.

Price tag could soar if a player puts in a good shift. We played against a League of Ireland XI in a friendly tournament consisting of Celtic, Barca, Man City and the XI. James McClean played against us and City, really impressed and got a move to Sunderland in the EPL. 

If it was possible to sell out one of the larger stadiums, and split ticketing, merch, food, TV profits among A-League clubs - Could be a decent wee earner in a league not flush with cash. 

The top brass should be doing everything to maximise clubs revenue, but fair enough if it's already been tried and failed. 

6 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

didn't they lose 2-1 to juve really late on, main reason gombau was coach and took it serious

Googled it after reading this..

IMG_6175.PNGIMG_6176.PNG

Looks like it was a great advert for the game down under, to me. Strong Juve side and, by all accounts, a well contested match. 

55k through the gates, not a bad crowd. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Celt said:

Aye, defos an American concept, but you guys like to roll it out too in some ways. State of Origin and the International Rules, I believe. 

Pretty pessimistic way to look at it, good way for the leagues best to showcase their ability against good players.

Price tag could soar if a player puts in a good shift. We played against a League of Ireland XI in a friendly tournament consisting of Celtic, Barca, Man City and the XI. James McClean played against us and City, really impressed and got a move to Sunderland in the EPL. 

If it was possible to sell out one of the larger stadiums, and split ticketing, merch, food, TV profits among A-League clubs - Could be a decent wee earner in a league not flush with cash. 

The top brass should be doing everything to maximise clubs revenue, but fair enough if it's already been tried and failed. 

My apologies as I was a bit blunt in my initial response, but as you may have noticed, I have no love for replicating US sporting culture; I lived with three basketball nuts for years at Uni and few things make me cringe more than US fan culture.

With regard to the international rules series, the AFL is crying out for some semblance of 'representative' sport and growing the game outside of Australia. But that is never going to happen when your sport is literally called 'Australian rules football'. Football has an international scene that the AFL envies intensely. I best leave it at that, lest I drift off on a tangent of the flaws of the AFL (from someone who plays and genuinely enjoys the sport at community level).

State of Origin is a little different in that it relates to where a player actually originates and maintains a pretty high level of parochialism (try going into a rough Sydney pub during Origin and try and start yelling 'Queenslander!'). It is a genuine representative competition, and people will actually remember the score two weeks after the game has finished.

Melbourne has had the International Champions Cup the last couple of years. With clubs like Real and Atletico Madrid, Roma, Tottenham, Juventus playing pre-season games in Melbourne and even the undesirables from Eithad were included in last year's tournament. Personally, that is preferable to the Telstra XI the FFA did did against Juventus a few years ago.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 1

For mine:

Vukovic

Franjic     Wilkinson    Jakobsen    Carney

Kilkenny

Ninkovic         Nichols

Rojas                   Fornaroli              Keogh

Subs Theo   Berisha   De Vere   Grant   Castro

I know Carney hasnt played LB for a while, but hes played there plenty over his career. Havent seen enough of Colazo yet to consider him.

• Like 1