Melbourne Football

The negative thread

jeffplz

The whole club is a big negative for me, i thought last season was bad enough but this season eclipses that by a very big margin. The team is a shambles the style is deplorable and the coach has flown the coop to leave a carbon copy of himself to carry on.

Sorry but i am totally dissilusioned by thole shambolic situation, win a title? you must be joking !!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

The whole club is a big negative for me, i thought last season was bad enough but this season eclipses that by a very big margin. The team is a shambles the style is deplorable and the coach has flown the coop to leave a carbon copy of himself to carry on.

Sorry but i am totally dissilusioned by thole shambolic situation, win a title? you must be joking !!!

I agree. The worse thing is that my hopes had risen when CFG had taken over but the results thus far have robbed me of hope. At least under Heart, I knew we didn't have the best players or facilities but I knew that the owners were not spending money. Now, money has been spent but no one seriously believes that the team will actually amount to much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

This club has been the biggest emotional roller coaster I have ever been on.

Lost hope with Heart. On a downer.

Then CFG took over. Up again

Then Aloisi still there. Down again.

Aloisi goes and JVS comes in. Up again

JVS and possession football. Down again.

JVS leaves. Up again.

Valkinis serves up the same old. Down again.

Also the mood swings seem to be getting bigger.

Bring back Heart. At least I knew what to expect.

31 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

This club has been the biggest emotional roller coaster I have ever been on.

Lost hope with Heart. On a downer.

Then CFG took over. Up again

Then Aloisi still there. Down again.

Aloisi goes and JVS comes in. Up again

JVS and possession football. Down again.

JVS leaves. Up again.

Valkinis serves up the same old. Down again.

Also the mood swings seem to be getting bigger.

Bring back Heart. At least I knew what to expect.

For the record, Aloisi was sacked prior to the CFG buyout announcement

We're currently third on the ladder (how we are 3rd I do not know), and I feel like we are having a shit season despite there being 7 teams in a worse position that our club could potentially be in. We are the only team to have won silverware this year and we still have the masterclass of Bruno to look forward to whenever we go down to AAMI Park. Yet I and many of the people I go with feel so disconnected with the club and players this season. We have Aussie legend Tim Cahill on the pitch whenever we play which I thought would really rally the fans and drive the club forward and give it a different feeling from just being a CFG team. Without a change I don't see myself or the people I speak to who support city rekindling the same passion we had with the likes on Aaron and Harry to watch. I'm not saying a record breaking goal tally is needed to provide the energy and buzz around the club, but this style of play we are witnessing at the moment mixed in with changing to the full city blue next season and more than likely hiring a manager who will be another CFG puppet really doesn't do it for me. It's a shame because after last season I really thought this club was going somewhere and at the start of the season with the quality of our squad we were excited. Now half the squad seems either discontent or severely lacking confidence/motivation. I know there is still a way to go in the season and I hope Valkanis can turn it around but FFS, WTF have we dished up this season. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be fooled by these empty rhetorics that the season isn't over and that finals series is still up for grabs. 

Our season is truly over. We have no chance of getting top 2. So ACL opportunity is gone. We've proven we can't win enough games in a row let alone even one game on the road which is what we will have to do to win the championship. ACL gone again. Finals gone. Seasons gone. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dylan said:

The usual fucken circle jerk in this place after we debut some youth players and everyone thinks they world beaters after they have done their jobs and we should sack all of the senior players :droy: 

This.

All played well enough to say they can play A League level. To say they would keep any of the senior players out this week is crazy talk. The only player that is even close to retaining his spot is Ruon.

Genreau played very good and looks like a decent midfielder with poise and good decision making but isn't ready to replace Brattan or Caceras. 

Pierias at RB was solid but if Franjic is fit he starts.

Crowley for his 5 minutes looked strong and capable at the level but to play him ahead of Fornaroli is beyond compression. 

Arzani has already shown he can play at the level but isn't ready to replace any of the wingers Brandan Fitzy Colazo or Kamau  or let alone any of the mids Brattan Kilkenny Cahill and Caceras. 

So all this talk of the youth players coming in in my opinion is just nonsense.

All it shows is that the squad assembled and the level of depth is the best we have ever had. That the points return on this squad is well below were it should be and the failure isn't because of the players or the playing list.

• Like 5

Its not that the young guys are better players than the seniors.  It is more that they deserve their chance from time to time, especially if the senior players are consistently under performing.

You cannot undervalue the spirit, passion and drive that has come from these younger guys stepping in and battling for their lives against the odds.

And by all accounts the kids trained the house down all week, they were fully supported by the senior guys and were ultimately able to stand up when it counted, especially coming from two goals down .. think about it... when else has this happened all season? When else of recent have we shown the fight and determination not to lose?

I spoke to both Caceras and Sorenson after the game and it seemed to me that they lifted because of these kids, and because they themselves had been given a chance and more responsibility, and because the team had its back against the wall.

Maybe things would be different if management brought these kids in occasionally and gave them a chance as genuine competition to our senior guys who consistently under perform without fear of losing their spot in the squad ... IMO a starting position has to be earned and then fought for every single week.

I agree that these young kids should not be our default starters, but there is no reason they shouldn't be given more of a chance, rather than only when we have half our team out.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Its not that the young guys are better players than the seniors.  It is more that they deserve their chance from time to time, especially if the senior players are consistently under performing.

You cannot undervalue the spirit, passion and drive that has come from these younger guys stepping in and battling for their lives against the odds.

And by all accounts the kids trained the house down all week, they were fully supported by the senior guys and were ultimately able to stand up when it counted, especially coming from two goals down .. think about it... when else has this happened all season? When else of recent have we shown the fight and determination not to lose?

I spoke to both Caceras and Sorenson after the game and it seemed to me that they lifted because of these kids, and because they themselves had been given a chance and more responsibility, and because the team had its back against the wall.

Maybe things would be different if management brought these kids in occasionally and gave them a chance as genuine competition to our senior guys who consistently under perform without fear of losing their spot in the squad ... IMO a starting position has to be earned and then fought for every single week.

I agree that these young kids should not be our default starters, but there is no reason they shouldn't be given more of a chance, rather than only when we have half our team out.

Valid point. 

I'd argue the energy and desperation and genuine fight can't be sustained for any length of time and that class, skill and experience more often than not dictates results.

What was telling for me more than the energy and desperation shown by the entire group was how we actually set up and played. We were much more compact defensively and going forward with the ball we actually went forward. We had more longer balls into dangerous areas (i think? I haven't looked at the stats) and fewer passes across the back 4. And above all the younger blokes were not exposed by playing ultra attacking moves. Genreau won his ball or picked up an easy pass and moved it quickly so to Caceras and Pierias played primarily as a defender and occasionally got involved in the final third, generally at set pieces. 

If we played with the same mindset and structure with the senior players it would be a completely  different spectacle. 

Having said all that Valkanis has to be credited for the result. Maybe he isn't as bad as his first few games suggests and that now he is developing a slighty different version of play. Next week will be telling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...