Melbourne Football

The positive thread

Jovan

Welcome to the positive thread. Feel free to discuss anything that is remotely positive.

We have played 10 games with a 5,3,2 record. Sitting 2nd on the ladder and all but 1 of our 5 games were we dropped points I reackon we should have won.

We have finally won a significant piece of silverware which cannot be sniffed at.

We have very few long-term injuries and the conditioning staff and facilities seem to be producing great results.

We are in my humble opinion never been in a better place and genuinely look like getting better and stronger. 

Things have never been so good.

Just now, Jovan said:

Welcome to the positive thread. Feel free to discuss anything that is remotely positive.

We have played 10 games with a 5,3,2 record. Sitting 2nd on the ladder and all but 1 of our 5 games were we dropped points I reackon we should have won.

We have finally won a significant piece of silverware which cannot be sniffed at.

We have very few long-term injuries and the conditioning staff and facilities seem to be producing great results.

We are in my humble opinion never been in a better place and genuinely look like getting better and stronger. 

Things have never been so good.

Curiously, which of the five do you think was the one we deserved to drop points? I'm assuming Brisbane at home?

But yes agree, we're in a good space and despite not playing particularly well compared to our capabilities, we are second and primed for a title assault from here onwards.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Curiously, which of the five do you think was the one we deserved to drop points? I'm assuming Brisbane at home?

But yes agree, we're in a good space and despite not playing particularly well compared to our capabilities, we are second and primed for a title assault from here onwards.

Spot on that away 0:1 loss to Roar we never looked like or deserved anything out of that one. The other loss to Perth we should have got something just some basic errors and a poor setup initially cost us. The Wanderers draw was a given and also the Brisbane draw at home we should have won.

We haven't been unstoppable and I want to see our best in April/May but we are still picking up points and maintaining a good ladder position. 

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Spot on that away 0:1 loss to Roar we never looked like or deserved anything out of that one. The other loss to Perth we should have got something just some basic errors and a poor setup initially cost us. The Wanderers draw was a given and also the Brisbane draw at home we should have won.

We haven't been unstoppable and I want to see our best in April/May but we are still picking up points and maintaining a good ladder position. 

Oh nah i was talking about the one at AAMI. I thought we deserved at least a point if not all three against Brisbane up there. Dominated that game, although our final ball and set pieces were atrocious. The home one I thought they had a lot more good chances, a point probably a fair result in the end.

Agree re the other three games.

The reasons I still go to City games...

1. Getting drunk with mates and then the possibility of Kicks Ons.

2. We usually beat the Mongs these days.

3. Brandan's haircut makes me feel like I am supporting/watching an addicted yet still functioning Ben Cousins.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

dodgy defence, visa gk rotting on the bench and 2 injury replacement spots waiting to be filled 

The only thing dodgy about the defence is the way the gaffer structures it. The visa gk on the bench had nothing to do with the squad either, purely the gaffers decision. 

We do have done injury spots but finding quality Aussie players for short term contracts is hard. Anyway those 2 players weren't key members of the squad anyway.

I think we've got the best squad in the league. I wonder what our problem is?

Our defence has conceded 4 less goals then at this time last year and last night was only 2nd time we have conceded more than 1 goal. 

I don't think we're that bad,  we're just not playing well and not scoring as many as we did last year 

But we have won more trophies this season them every other team combined 

3 hours ago, ecguymer said:

So....my housemate (who had no interest in sport at all 6 months ago) has just said "all I want for Christmas is for JVS to pull his finger out".......that counts as a positive, right?

As long as they're talking about JVS in a managerial sense and they aren't actually engaging in sex acts with him

• Like 1

10-11.PNG

11-12.PNG

13-14.PNG

14-15.PNG

15-16.PNG

16-17.PNG

Ha just realised I was supposed to put this in the neutral thread but we seem to have good december and then fall away then up and then lose the last few games. So to make this positive....This year we had a shite december and good start. Thats different? haha

Anyway, I cant describe this feeling I have but have never felt it before. Even last year I thought most of our wins in terms of the general play were lucky for the most part and looked flaky. This year, I dont know, it just looks and feels different. We look and play, for the most part, like a dominant team. Thats why I wassnt worried about the derby loss. Victory looked like heart in that game, finally getting one up on big brother. 

Edited by Dylan

Without question the last 4 games have been somewhat of a let down. 3 draws and a derby loss. We need to also look at it in the context of the season.  Our last 4 games have been against the top 3 and 6th respectively. I know if we want to achieve anything this season we should be getting more but honestly it's not all doom and gloom.

Our next 5,( yes 5 and anything can happen in 5 games/weeks  granted) are against the bottom struggling sides. 

Possibly we could have set up more pragmatically in our last few games and won a couple games ugly but we didn't and 3 points from 4 games is disappointing but not disastrous.

Without being overly positive and delusional I genuinely think we should get 15 points from our next 5.

We do that and we are back in the mix.

It all starts tonight with a game we should win easily. 

If we end the year poorly I'll catch up with you in the negative thread.

Happy New Year to all and stay safe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Without question the last 4 games have been somewhat of a let down. 3 draws and a derby loss. We need to also look at it in the context of the season.  Our last 4 games have been against the top 3 and 6th respectively. I know if we want to achieve anything this season we should be getting more but honestly it's not all doom and gloom.

Our next 5,( yes 5 and anything can happen in 5 games/weeks  granted) are against the bottom struggling sides. 

Possibly we could have set up more pragmatically in our last few games and won a couple games ugly but we didn't and 3 points from 4 games is disappointing but not disastrous.

Without being overly positive and delusional I genuinely think we should get 15 points from our next 5.

We do that and we are back in the mix.

It all starts tonight with a game we should win easily. 

If we end the year poorly I'll catch up with you in the negative thread.

Happy New Year to all and stay safe.

Plus our starting two centre backs have been injured. You do that to any Aleague team and its going to affect them massively.