Melbourne Football

Tom Rogic

Celt

How do you Aussies rate the big man? 

He has become such a key player for us, much to the surprise of most Celtic fans. 

Man City couldn't live with him in the 3-3 match at Celtic Park, didn't look out of place one bit in the Champions League. 

One of the best turnarounds in recent times and he's only getting better! 

8 hours ago, Celt said:

How do you Aussies rate the big man? 

He has become such a key player for us, much to the surprise of most Celtic fans. 

Man City couldn't live with him in the 3-3 match at Celtic Park, didn't look out of place one bit in the Champions League. 

One of the best turnarounds in recent times and he's only getting better! 

He's very talented but does go missing at times. Still young enough to learn and get better. No disrespect to Celtic but he should try and move to a higher quality League/team although playing in the champs is a big bonus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

He's very talented but does go missing at times. Still young enough to learn and get better. No disrespect to Celtic but he should try and move to a higher quality League/team although playing in the champs is a big bonus.

Aye, he does have that tendency. Can be said for #10's all over the world, though. 

He struggles, generally, after the 60-70 minute mark for us. Rarely plays the full 90, although he did score a winning goal in the 90th minute about 2 weeks ago. Improving on that front. 

In regards to moving on, I'm sure he will if he keeps progressing. Right now he's at the right club. This will be only his second season of game time with us and only 2 years ago he was punted on loan to Melb. Victory. 

The likes of Wanyama, Fraser Forster, Virgil van Dijk all completed at least two seasons at the club - and look where they are now. 

EPL will never suit Tams game, IMO. He should be looking at the Spanish/Italian leagues where the game is at a slower tempo. SPL is a frantic tempo, but not so much when you play for Celtic. 

I think we (Aussies) all rate him very highly. Classiest player we've developed since Kewell. @Jovan's criticism is near the mark however.

One of the man city guys on here though used to think "his best asset was his fitness", which surprised most on the forum. I suspect now he's seen more of him he has realised how wrong he was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I think we (Aussies) all rate him very highly. Classiest player we've developed since Kewell. @Jovan's criticism is near the mark however.

One of the man city guys on here though used to think "his best asset was his fitness", which surprised most on the forum. I suspect now he's seen more of him he has realised how wrong he was.

Definitely, got to agree. Always kept an aye on the Aussie national team as I lived in Brisbane when younger (before eventually returning to Australia) and can't remember you guys ever having a player as classy. 

Fitness is literally his worst aspect. It's poor for a young pro in his early 20's. It's improving, though. 

^ Good wee breakdown. 

9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

He's good, but he's no Aaron Mooy. Plus it's difficult to like a former Victory player tbh (even though he was abysmal at Victory)

Don't expect it to be a popular opinion, but not for me, I would have Tam over Mooy - 100%. 

Players like Mooy come around often, it's not often you get a player standing at six foot two with the touch, vision and ability of Rogic. 

Add to the fact that he's a few years younger, easy decision for me. Like you, though, I'm biased. 

I'm stunned at Mooy's rise. When he played in Scotland he was poor, never stood out once. He's come on brilliantly, him and Rogic are similar in that aspect with both (fairly) late bloomers. 

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Plays in an average league and is made to look better than he really is. The fact that he can't perform against average asian nations should say abit 

Looked alright when carving the billionaires of Man City with ease, but nah, you're right. 

Rogic struggles with the travel schedule of being involved with the national team. I see it first hand on his return, I can only assume this is why he isn't always at his best come internationals. 

2 hours ago, Celt said:

Don't expect it to be a popular opinion, but not for me, I would have Tam over Mooy - 100%. 

Players like Mooy come around often, it's not often you get a player standing at six foot two with the touch, vision and ability of Rogic. 

Add to the fact that he's a few years younger, easy decision for me. Like you, though, I'm biased. 

I'm stunned at Mooy's rise. When he played in Scotland he was poor, never stood out once. He's come on brilliantly, him and Rogic are similar in that aspect with both (fairly) late bloomers. 

Understandable, but tbh I just don't get the hype around Rogic. I obviously need to watch him at Celtic because whenever he plays for Australia I'm extremely underwhelmed. Certainly not saying he's shit, because he's obviously got talent, but I don't believe he's got a lick on Mooy and certainly not Harry Kewell like so many people seem to say. He's not mobile enough for my liking, but you never know that may come with time. I've always been in the Rogic is overrated camp even before he moved overseas. I think he needs to move to a more competitive league and play well for me to be convinced tbh

13 hours ago, Tesla said:

About 10% of the player Mooy is TBH.

Bit harsh but probably close. Mind you at same age Rogic is probably at a better level. Need to compare Rogic of today with a Mooy 2 years younger. Next 18 months will be very interesting to see both players. (Just in time to take the Socceroos into the round of 16).

47 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Bit harsh but probably close. Mind you at same age Rogic is probably at a better level. Need to compare Rogic of today with a Mooy 2 years younger. Next 18 months will be very interesting to see both players. (Just in time to take the Socceroos into the round of 16).

Mooy was a bit of a late bloomer for sure, but thats rare. Rogic probably isnt. he is about to turn 24, so not exactly youth anymore. He'll probably get a bit better over the next few years but unlikely it will be anything drastic. Anyway he is a good player, Mooy is just a lot better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Rogic has re-signed at Celtic for 5 years. 

Honestly seeing he clearly doesn’t want to be challenged you think he’d just look for the big $ in China.

Never going to make anything of his talent if he stays in the Sunday leagues. Another reason to rate him as inferior to Mooy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Rogic has re-signed at Celtic for 5 years. 

Honestly seeing he clearly doesn’t want to be challenged you think he’d just look for the big $ in China.

Never going to make anything of his talent if he stays in the Sunday leagues. Another reason to rate him as inferior to Mooy.

Champions League.

• 1 year later...