Melbourne Football

RD 8: Melb Derby/Wellington Double Header. Sunday 27th Nov

Dylan

26 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

That's because deep down, we're all derby specials lol

And btw, do people not watch English football or any other European league games? Fans constantly sing about their rivals and take the piss.

Yeah, and they should all take a good hard look at what they stand for mate.

What kind of self-respecting terrace sings about an opposition coach for about 5-7 minutes of a 90 minute game because they saw him in the stands. It's a fucking outrage it is. 

EDIT: And if people have an issue with the level of noise, they're more than welcome to buy an active ticket and try to help lift the atmosphere in that area, or if they already have a ticket, sing louder. For the record, those around the capo stand/in the first 6-7 rows seem to be pretty loud and do their best to dictate and lift the sound of the terrace, attacking the leaders because there's a large number of sponges who buy tickets to the area and stand in silence for most of the 90 minutes is a bit stupid in my opinion.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

Generally i think the active supporters do a great job but last night  i got a bit fed up with the continual "Stand up if you love City" chant. it's ok to stand up once but not three times, i suspect it is because of the absence of good chant/songs. please don't get me wrong, i like all the chants but like most of the others on here i cannot see the sense of 5/7 minutes of hate for Victory/Muscat. For goodness sake keep it for the Derbies after all if the Queen was in the stands would they have the balls  to chant hate towards her? 

Edited by johnno cpfc

first half was good, should have scored a few and had some penalties.

2nd half was challenging, and there was an air of flatness permeating throughout, including in the stands.

I put the 2nd half down to 3 things

1. It was a lazy Sunday arvo
  2. The players / coaches had an eye on Wed and just wanted the game closed out with minimal fuss and effort
  3. Wellington are a rubbish 'filler' team who inspire nothing in terms of a contest, bring nothing to the comp, and should be gone in favour of another Australian club

1 hour ago, Geo400 said:

I remember back in 2012 we had a crowd of 10k+ against Wellington on a Sunday arvo, thought it was the greatest thing ever at the time, yesterday not the same feeling, think it's because of the 11k members these days so if I don't see the number 11 I'm slightly dissapointed, but I will say Sunday afternoons feel right for us, we probably would have had 2k less if this same match was on Friday.

Splitting hairs, but it was 11k. First home match of 2012/13.
This season average so far 9,130. Last season non-derby average 8,779. An improvement but not much difference really.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Splitting hairs, but it was 11k. First home match of 2012/13.
This season average so far 9,130. Last season non-derby average 8,779. An improvement but not much difference really.

But this year we've had a Thursday and game another with heavy rain. The two games we've had on the weekend without any bad weather have both been 10k+. Big improvement.

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Generally i think the active supporters do a great job but last night  i got a bit fed up with the continual "Stand up if you love City" chant. it's ok to stand up once but not three times, i suspect it is because of the absence of good chant/songs. please don't get me wrong, i like all the chants but like most of the others on here i cannot see the sense of 5/7 minutes of hate for Victory/Muscat. For goodness sake keep it for the Derbies after all if the Queen was in the stands would they have the balls  to chant hate towards her? 

I hope you're not suggesting that Kevin Muscat (history's greatest monster) is in the same category as the Queen. Liz is alright, she's welcome in the terrace anytime.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Embee said:

Yeah, and they should all take a good hard look at what they stand for mate.

What kind of self-respecting terrace sings about an opposition coach for about 5-7 minutes of a 90 minute game because they saw him in the stands. It's a fucking outrage it is. 

EDIT: And if people have an issue with the level of noise, they're more than welcome to buy an active ticket and try to help lift the atmosphere in that area, or if they already have a ticket, sing louder. For the record, those around the capo stand/in the first 6-7 rows seem to be pretty loud and do their best to dictate and lift the sound of the terrace, attacking the leaders because there's a large number of sponges who buy tickets to the area and stand in silence for most of the 90 minutes is a bit stupid in my opinion.

I think this is definitely an issue. I'm not usually in active, but I came in there for the game against Newy. I was in around the middle and I could see the people up front busting their arses to make noise and atmosphere and the majority of people in the middle and towards the back were silent. Unfortunately I think we've sold so many active memberships this season, but a lot of the people who've bought them still don't realise that they have to sing for 90 minutes not just take selfies to show they're cool sokka fans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I think this is definitely an issue. I'm not usually in active, but I came in there for the game against Newy. I was in around the middle and I could see the people up front busting their arses to make noise and atmosphere and the majority of people in the middle and towards the back were silent. Unfortunately I think we've sold so many active memberships this season, but a lot of the people who've bought them still don't realise that they have to sing for 90 minutes not just take selfies to show they're cool sokka fans

Why not put the capo stand in the middle of the bay? 

Edited by Jovan
At least then he's half a chance of getting a cheezel

2 hours ago, Cityscape said:

But this year we've had a Thursday and game another with heavy rain. The two games we've had on the weekend without any bad weather have both been 10k+. Big improvement.

What hasn't changed is that watching City is only something to do when the weather is good and there's nothing better to do (almost anything). We can't even attract all of our own season ticket holders, those people are essentially paying to not attend!

5 hours ago, hakz7 said:

That's because deep down, we're all derby specials lol

And btw, do people not watch English football or any other European league games? Fans constantly sing about their rivals and take the piss.

Indeed we do.  And we're much ruder too, and about the ref.  Never understood the apparent embargo on being vile about your footballing neighbours in Australia....

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Never understood the apparent embargo on being vile about your footballing neighbours in Australia....

Probably because we dont have hundreds of years of bitter rivalry and the "hatred" between these two franchise clubs has only been going on for 6-7 years usually feels very forced

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Indeed we do.  And we're much ruder too, and about the ref.  Never understood the apparent embargo on being vile about your footballing neighbours in Australia....

Ditto. Having been in the terraces there and now here, one other huge difference is the soft and silent treatment of the opposition keeper when they are at our end. Over there, we'd serve them raw hell for the full 45 minutes, with brutal cutting sledges and chants questioning everything from their parentage to the small size of their todger. 

I've never heard any HAL Terrace give one a proper working over come to think of it. And the bastards are a captive audience.

2 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

Ditto. Having been in the terraces there and now here, one other huge difference is the soft and silent treatment of the opposition keeper when they are at our end. Over there, we'd serve them raw hell for the full 45 minutes, with brutal cutting sledges and chants questioning everything from their parentage to the small size of their todger. 

I've never heard any HAL Terrace give one a proper working over come to think of it. And the bastards are a captive audience.

Theres a difference between giving it to the oppositions keeper (when we gave redders shit the whole game it clearly got under his skin and effected his performance which i think we should do more of) and chanting about a rival team that isnt playing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Theres a difference between giving it to the oppositions keeper (when we gave redders shit the whole game it clearly got under his skin and effected his performance which i think we should do more of) and chanting about a rival team that isnt playing.

Agree 100% - and the Victory chants were right at a point in the game when the focus needed to be on Wellington. Same with some of the sit down silent, stand up or split Terrace chants: occasionally they are launched at a completely inappropriate time of the match. As a collective we ought to be big enough to stand up and cop and accept a bit of criticism where it's warranted.

In relation to keeper taunting there's so much of a gold mine in HAL history for good chants, in Roar's Theo alone coming up we have a name changer who left Norwich after one match with his tail between his leg after shipping 7.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

Agree 100% - and the Victory chants were right at a point in the game when the focus needed to be on Wellington. Same with some of the sit down silent, stand up or split Terrace chants: occasionally they are launched at a completely inappropriate time of the match. As a collective we ought to be big enough to stand up and cop and accept a bit of criticism where it's warranted.

In relation to keeper taunting there's so much of a gold mine in HAL history for good chants, in Roar's Theo alone coming up we have a name changer who left Norwich after one match with his tail between his leg after shipping 7.

Of course, and we're more than willing to do so. Forgive me, however, for feeling that the amount of hand-wringing happening in this thread due to 5-7 minutes of chants aimed at the coach of our rivals is massive overkill.

The timing of the chants is something we're working on and I freely admit it's not perfect. The Capo who actually stood up yesterday (on a day where the regulars were unavailable for various reasons) did a pretty decent job given the circumstances in my opinion, albeit with a few kinks we could iron out

Edited by Embee

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Disband the terrace, it's been shit for ages now anyway.

All jokes aside, have we ever had issues with police like what the NT are having?

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

Of course, and we're more than willing to do so. Forgive me, however, for feeling that the amount of hand-wringing happening in this thread due to 5-7 minutes of chants aimed at the coach of our rivals is massive overkill.

The timing of the chants is something we're working on and I freely admit it's not perfect. The Capo who actually stood up yesterday (on a day where the regulars were unavailable for various reasons) did a pretty decent job given the circumstances in my opinion, albeit with a few kinks we could iron out

Will the other guys be ready for the final? 

44 minutes ago, Embee said:

I really appreciate the efforts of Melburnians and Yarraside before them. The problem isn't a single anti-visitors chant, it's that it happens too frequently and takes the focus of support away from the team playing the game

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

All jokes aside, have we ever had issues with police like what the NT are having?

Will the other guys be ready for the final? 

Just a strained Larynx and out for one Germano. Should be good to go for the final.

Rumour has it a marquee is being lined up  just in case

If we want a successful active area we should follow the AFL model:

-Rename our-self "Melbourne city cheer squad"

-Only chant when goals are scored (Or when we get near the goals)

-Replace all chants with:

Melbourne

"clap, clap clap"

Melbourne

"clap, clap, clap

-Get some big pom pom things and wave them around and shit

The AFL have set the standard of active support in this country for years, they do so many things well, we should follow them with our active area too.

7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Melbourne

"clap, clap clap"

Melbourne

"clap, clap, clap

The AFL have set the standard of active support in this country for years, they do so many things well, we should follow them with our active area too.

FFA likes this. :lowy:

31 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Melbourne

"clap, clap clap"

Melbourne

"clap, clap, clap

And fill it with Grandmas and societal rejects 

5 hours ago, Cloughie said:

I do remember having a good chuckle at the 'WHERE'S YOUR KLITOS?' chant the first time we played them after his name change. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I really appreciate the efforts of Melburnians and Yarraside before them. The problem isn't a single anti-visitors chant, it's that it happens too frequently and takes the focus of support away from the team playing the game

My 2c ion this one; these chants usually (if not exclusively) start at the notorious "back of the terrace." I actually agree 100% with what you're saying but the people who get into it seem to be the ones who will sing fuck all else which is why it generates the most noise.

• Like 3

Am wondering if anyone else is thinking (a.) the crowd Sunday felt much less than th 10.5k reported, and (b.) the active area was significantly lighter than usual.

I was somewhat near the front and could sadly see a bit too much blank space, particularly towards the end of each row.

As such I think there we're times where the lack of a bigger active bay caucus meant chants died off quickly.  hence people were happy to get into the more anti Victory / abusive stuff.

12 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Am wondering if anyone else is thinking (a.) the crowd Sunday felt much less than th 10.5k reported, and (b.) the active area was significantly lighter than usual.

I was somewhat near the front and could sadly see a bit too much blank space, particularly towards the end of each row.

As such I think there we're times where the lack of a bigger active bay caucus meant chants died off quickly.  hence people were happy to get into the more anti Victory / abusive stuff.

I wasnt there but it looked better than usual on tv, even if the active was a bit lighter on.