Melbourne Football

RD 8: Melb Derby/Wellington Double Header. Sunday 27th Nov

Dylan

Thought the one they got was clear cut, our one was lucky both were holding eachother, we played some good stuff in the first half, should have been a couple up on balance, but these 2nd half naps we seem to take almost makes you forget anything good that came before it. Without fail towards the end we flirt with disaster.

• Like 1

the hate from cockhead opposition supporters on Facebook is massive, should of pummelled them, their best chance of the game was when kosta fell over on his way to goals :tooth:
finkler's still a shitcunt, bonavacia still a soft prick 
another win at home but geez we don't look convincing at all, scraped through tonight, newcastle and Adelaide when all of them should of been very comfortable 

That was a very strange game. At times we looked comfortable in possession and had Wellington chasing us all over the park. Then at other times we looked slow and laborious. I guess the 3 points is the most important thing, however, I am beginning to wonder if the players have lost faith in JVS. There doesn't seem to be the intensity that there was in the first few games this season, especially what we showed against the tards.

A couple of good saves by Moss kept them in the game. In the second half we were very negative and it wouldn't have been a surprise had we drawn that game. We will need to be much better on Wednesday.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fuck the negativity on here has really become overbearing. 

I get we could have played better and Wellington was very ordinary but we won. We are second after a third of the season and the top team was even more shit than us in their last game. We are about to play in a grand final and still put out a very strong team and won. 

Yes we won. 

We had a pretty decent turn out for a Sunday afternoon. 

And oh yeah we fucking won.

I don't think anybody has a problem that we're winning. I also think most people understand that you aren't going to play champagne football everytime you win, sometimes you have to grind out ugly wins (like we have today)

The issue is lately i feel as if we haven't really played well since the last derby. Our performances lately have been pretty ordinary to say the least, and it would be nice to see the boys put in a solid 90 minute performance. 

I'm hoping the team are saving their really good solid performance for Wednesday haha

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 4

Happy to take the 3 points and move on. I was very worried about this game as it would be natural for the players to be psychologically preparing for Wednesday night and a bit flat tonight. Not surprisingly, we went one up and tried to go through the motions and coast to a win and save ourselves for the Final. Also not surprisingly we looked disjointed once Bruno and Bratten and Brandan went off.

But:  

• fuck me we had 5 of our better players on the bench and still got up. 
  • None of our best players got injured and 3 of them had an early night.
  • Colazo got some game time.
  • We played with 4 at the back instead of the silly 3 at the back system that's been costing us goals. 
  • Bouzanis had a good game, even if he didn't have to do anything too difficult (but his distribution was ordinary and Sornen should be fuckin playing... sigh)
  • Kilkenny is availalbe for the final (apparenlty) even though he copped his 5th yellow.  

What the fuck, moving on. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Fuck the negativity on here has really become overbearing. 

I get we could have played better and Wellington was very ordinary but we won. We are second after a third of the season and the top team was even more shit than us in their last game. We are about to play in a grand final and still put out a very strong team and won. 

Yes we won. 

We had a pretty decent turn out for a Sunday afternoon. 

And oh yeah we fucking won.

As i was leaving the stadium i was thinking the same thing. I fucking hated every minute of that game. Obviously we didnt play well but i couldnt work out why i felt absolutely nothing when the final whistle went and we got the points.

I honestly think i have absolutely no emotional connection to this club any more.

*in b4 "well why dont you fuck off and support victory then. We dont need supporters like you!"

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

For me the lack of emotional connection actually means I get more frustrated when we dish up crap, in the heart days I could accept we had limited resources, fewer fans and in general were a much smaller club, grinding out wins back then felt special. Now not  so much, the transition from heart to city for me is like playing a video game you suck in but then apply the cheat codes to get the advantage lol, I expect results and I want them in style, if I can't get the style I at least expect more than 15 minutes of high tempo action per week.

• Like 1

strange game

but for Moss, we could have been 4 up at half time and totally different result

the way it was, we were always in the situation of conceding a soft goal and drawing the match or losing it

Heard that Sorensen is leaving in January, that's why Bouzanis is getting all the game time, to ensure he is experienced enough for the run home in to finals etc

Edited by japiedog

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

As i was leaving the stadium i was thinking the same thing. I fucking hated every minute of that game. Obviously we didnt play well but i couldnt work out why i felt absolutely nothing when the final whistle went and we got the points.

I honestly think i have absolutely no emotional connection to this club any more.

*in b4 "well why dont you fuck off and support victory then. We dont need supporters like you!"

I get exactly your mindset (i think). Weve actually reached a point were we have become a top side. Expectations have turned from hoping to knowing. When we play shit and win it almost becomes ho hum when we lose the club needs to fold and when we win I feel "well we should be winning regardless".

Confusing time. 

10 hours ago, silva10 said:

That was a very strange game. At times we looked comfortable in possession and had Wellington chasing us all over the park. Then at other times we looked slow and laborious. I guess the 3 points is the most important thing, however, I am beginning to wonder if the players have lost faith in JVS. There doesn't seem to be the intensity that there was in the first few games this season, especially what we showed against the tards.

A couple of good saves by Moss kept them in the game. In the second half we were very negative and it wouldn't have been a surprise had we drawn that game. We will need to be much better on Wednesday.

For this to occur each season with different players can only point to one person. There is no doubt that the players get no motivation, enthusiasm or drive from him. I am still genuinely convinced that the team would so much better if any of the people on this forum took over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Went through the same thing. Final whistle I was sitting in my chair and was ready to leave straight away. This was partly due to our active support, that put me in a bad mood, but there was something else about the game that felt flat. Maybe as Jovan said its the expectation of winning now but IMO I don't think it is just that. Maybe it's having JVS at the helm. I don't know. Anyway highlight for me was the women's game. 

• Like 3

Also you have to consider that our opponents continually play a negating type game that makes the game uninspiring and ugly. I felt similar to the above posts when watching the game as entertainment but our games are turning out to be a battle for space in a very congested forward area.

I think we have to get used to it, unless the opposition plays more attacking and opens up some space.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Anyway highlight for me was the women's game. 

Same here! Even in the first half when we were not playing all that well i was really getting into it. 

Maybe your right. Maybe its jvs maybe it was all the back passing maybe it was Bouzanis constantly kicking the ball out of bounds again. I dont know what it is but i honestly don't even know if an ffa cup victory is going to get me pumped

First of all thoughts on the game as above posts have mentioned the first half we produced some really good football created plenty of chances and were unfortunate only to up by a loan goal. I also noticed for the first time this season the use of triangle passes mostly with our wingers which allowed us to carry out some fluid, forward moving football.

Second half as we know we faded out again which is a typical jvs heart/city performance.

Disappointingly for me it was my second game back in the terrace after being away for almost a year and it's a shame to see it gone in a backwards direction hopefully this is only temporary after what I had heard was a strong performance during the derby and first home game of the season the following games have been below par. Agree with above statements that we focus too much time on anti victory chants when we aren't even playing them and we still overuse the same chants too often. Hopefully we can work this out soon especially for the final.

34 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Same here! Even in the first half when we were not playing all that well i was really getting into it. 

Maybe your right. Maybe its jvs maybe it was all the back passing maybe it was Bouzanis constantly kicking the ball out of bounds again. I dont know what it is but i honestly don't even know if an ffa cup victory is going to get me pumped

It's the seven-year itch in football as opposed to marriage. The expectation has changed. The initial glamour has worn off and we're looking for something to kick-start the interest all over again. We're no longer Heart, the newbie on the block, trying to build a club. We're actually the biggest in the country with CFG behind us and all that it brings to the club, such as our South American players, our training facilities, financial sustainability, etc. etc., and so we now go along expecting champagne football and the boys cruising home four goals to the good. Even 10,644 against Welly on a Sunday looks a thin crowd. Better get used to the new paradigm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

But I am talking about the main bay. Definitely, last night at least from what I saw on tv. 

Yeah there were so many empty seats in the main bay yesterday. Usually when we only get like 8k, the active bay is always full. But now we get near 11k, and it was empty lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neio said:

Yeah we won,  Yay. Didn't play great but never thought we were overly threatened after Bruno penalty either 

One negative about active today, why the fuck did we dedicate 5-7 minutes on muscat and victory, it sounds ridiculous when we're playing Wellington. I personally couldn't give a fuck if he is watching 

bring back yarraside 

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's the seven-year itch in football as opposed to marriage. The expectation has changed. The initial glamour has worn off and we're looking for something to kick-start the interest all over again. We're no longer Heart, the newbie on the block, trying to build a club. We're actually the biggest in the country with CFG behind us and all that it brings to the club, such as our South American players, our training facilities, financial sustainability, etc. etc., and so we now go along expecting champagne football and the boys cruising home four goals to the good. Even 10,644 against Welly on a Sunday looks a thin crowd. Better get used to the new paradigm.

I think its more like being married to someone you know intimately and they suddenly come home with plastic surgery one day and start hanging out with shallow people you cant stand. But you are expected to feel the same way about them and get verbally abused if you say anything about it

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Embee said:

Oh no, somebody spotted Muscat in the crowd and sung a few songs about it. Jesus Christ, what a fucking shame that the fans in the terrace actually had a bit of fun and enjoyed themselves at a game. Some people just look for anything to complain about on this forum, I'm a pretty cynical bloke at times but this place makes me seem like @bt50.

Cheezels chant has gone to a new level. Really was super.

Problem now I have to buy 5 sausages and box of Cheezels per game. Running out of cash for beers.

Edited by Jovan
And I'm not even in the active ffs
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Embee said:

Oh no, somebody spotted Muscat in the crowd and sung a few songs about it. Jesus Christ, what a fucking shame that the fans in the terrace actually had a bit of fun and enjoyed themselves at a game. Some people just look for anything to complain about on this forum, I'm a pretty cynical bloke at times but this place makes me seem like @bt50.

This never would have happend in those holy days of Heart wouldnt it? What shit support we have now.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Embee said:

But how will our club ever be taken seriously if we cant win the battle in the stands @Embee?

• Like 2

I remember back in 2012 we had a crowd of 10k+ against Wellington on a Sunday arvo, thought it was the greatest thing ever at the time, yesterday not the same feeling, think it's because of the 11k members these days so if I don't see the number 11 I'm slightly dissapointed, but I will say Sunday afternoons feel right for us, we probably would have had 2k less if this same match was on Friday.

Edited by Geo400

A win is a win, even a lucky win.

Positives:

A win

Colazo is back although pretty much invisible in his cameo

No injuries

Back 4, Rose looks like he at least understands his role in a back 4

Negatives:

Too many square balls and back passing and ball speed too slow in the front third. Lack of effective movement off the ball or too many effective runs ignored - frustrating to watch!

As others have said, once more we fail to kill off a game and were lucky to escape with a win.

Back 4 shape poor, Rose poor going forward, two CBs play like strangers

Kilkenny's 5th red will cost us against Bambi's team

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think there is a few being a little too nostalgic about the heart days now that its gone. Might I suggest to those people to go back and have a look at some old threads on this forum

Meh i think when you have a drastic change like we have had its pretty reasonable to feel lost. I dont doubt thst eventually i will feel passionate about us as city but you cant force these things and i cant help how i feel. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Embee said:

I have every bit of respect for those involved in active. And even in the times the active support has been average for whatever reason I have never complained. I'll support the active because it's easy to complain and do nothing. I'll always keep my mouth shut because I am not a part of it. And I'm more than well aware that it takes more than just words to get involved in not only taking part in active but leading it. 

I said in another post I thought the first chant at Muscat was amusing and in good humour. But to continue on for another 5 minutes plus look to start up another chant at him further on in the game (probably because there was a lack of chants to sing) was not good enough. Maybe it says something about the culture in the terrace that it takes Muscat to be in the crowd to be louder and have fun rather than support our team against Wellington. 

Fwiw whether anyone agrees or not I bring this up because active support represents the rest of us to varying degrees.  I'll defend the active support and the club against anyone that wants to pay them out. But after yesterday's performance whoevers running the show at the moment in active needs to have a good look at what they stand for. 

16 hours ago, n i k o said:

I thought the first chant was funny as a bit of a dig but that's where it should have ended. First time I've ever been ready to walk out of a game from embarrassment of our active support. What's also disappointing is that that 5 minutes was the loudest :droy: 

That's because deep down, we're all derby specials lol

And btw, do people not watch English football or any other European league games? Fans constantly sing about their rivals and take the piss.

Did anyone else notice what looked like complete confusion when Cahill was subbed on for Brandan??

It looked like for the next 5 minutes no one knew If there was formation changes and who would be where. I saw Kilkenny and Brattan trying to communicate with the bench when it happened looking as through they were confused. And not until Kamau came on for Bruno did they settle.