Melbourne Football

RD 8: Melb Derby/Wellington Double Header. Sunday 27th Nov

Dylan

I've given up trying to predict how our mens team will go but I never feel confident going into the ground no matter the opponent and never feel confident during the game no matter the score. We could win 2-0 or lose 0-2 and neither would surprise me in the least. We could be leading 2-0 at 80' and be lucky to escape with a draw.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, ecguymer said:

...can someone make the men watch the womens match with a running commentary on how defence works?

To do this he needs to rejig the midfield. Again Kilkenny the only midfielder with a defensive mindset. Caceras and Cahill sitting high waiting for the cheap ball making it difficult to play out and not pulling their weight defensively. We are so far too heavily weighted to the top of the park the poor bastards at the back are under enormous pressure. Often outnumbered and with the JVS mindset of overlapping fullbacks, their workload is just too high. We really missed Brattan who doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities, and I thought we looked much better with him on the park. 

The old adage "everyone defends" is so true but the kamikazee JVS forward plan will still be unpicked each week.  To me the problem isn't necessarily the lads at the back - they're being screwed by the players forward of them. 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

To do this he needs to rejig the midfield. Again Kilkenny the only midfielder with a defensive mindset. Caceras and Cahill sitting high waiting for the cheap ball making it difficult to play out and not pulling their weight defensively. We are so far too heavily weighted to the top of the park the poor bastards at the back are under enormous pressure. Often outnumbered and with the JVS mindset of overlapping fullbacks, their workload is just too high. We really missed Brattan who doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities, and I thought we looked much better with him on the park. 

The old adage "everyone defends" is so true but the kamikazee JVS forward plan will still be unpicked each week.  To me the problem isn't necessarily the lads at the back - they're being screwed by the players forward of them. 

I agree that it isn't always the lads at the back. But I think that the players on the field have to take some responsibility. Have a look at the Wanderers goal again. With no more than a minute left of injury time, and leading 1-0, our defenders are still caught too far up field when Wanderers mount their final attack of the game. Whatever the coach's game plan and whatever his instructions, that's what I might expect to see in an Under-10's match and players on a collective salary of close to 10m ought to know better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that it isn't always the lads at the back. But I think that the players on the field have to take some responsibility.

I don't know why we even discuss the failures of players at this point in time. When people talk about whether a campaign in a war succeeds or not they talk about the generals who designed the plan, not whether Jimmy's gun jammed because he didn't clean it properly the the day before or he ran with his head too high and had it blown off. Is it just to kill time till JVS is gone?

• Like 2

I reckon JVS is going to bench a few with Wednesday in mind

Franjic           Chapman     Malik             Rose

Brattan

Caceras        Arzani

Fitzgerald                   Tuna                   That NPL guy

Bench    Cahill Tongik Colazo Kilkenny Bouzanis         and have cahill come on at about 60mins for Tuna

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I reckon JVS is going to bench a few with Wednesday in mind

Franjic           Chapman     Malik             Rose

Brattan

Caceras        Arzani

Fitzgerald                   Tuna                   That NPL guy

Bench    Cahill Tongik Colazo Kilkenny Bouzanis         and have cahill come on at about 60mins for Tuna

No Fernando? 

21 minutes ago, rass said:

How's our yellow card count going? 

From memory Kilkenny and Brandan would be close. Last thing we want is to see them miss the final because of too many yellows.

Do yellows carry from League to Cup? I know they do the other way because if you're out you dont serve a punishment but I didnt think they applied the other way, the ban would just carry to the next league game?

EDIT from the FFA A League Discplinary Regulations

5.7 The accumulation of Yellow Cards will be reset to zero at the end of the last A-League Match of the Regular Season and any Finals Series respectively. This means that Yellow Cards accumulated in the Regular Season do not carry over to any Finals Series and Yellow Cards accumulated in the Finals Series do not carry over to the next Regular Season. Match suspensions incurred as a result of the accumulation of Yellow Cards in either the Regular Season or Finals Series must be served in the next A-League Match in which the Club competes whether that be in the Regular Season or Finals Series.

Don't think they can miss the Final, they'd miss the next fixture.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rass said:

How's our yellow card count going? 

From memory Kilkenny and Brandan would be close. Last thing we want is to see them miss the final because of too many yellows.

See the thread "Goalscorers, attendances and cards 2016-17" for the card count.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bt50 said:

Do yellows carry from League to Cup? I know they do the other way because if you're out you dont serve a punishment but I didnt think they applied the other way, the ban would just carry to the next league game?

EDIT from the FFA A League Discplinary Regulations

5.7 The accumulation of Yellow Cards will be reset to zero at the end of the last A-League Match of the Regular Season and any Finals Series respectively. This means that Yellow Cards accumulated in the Regular Season do not carry over to any Finals Series and Yellow Cards accumulated in the Finals Series do not carry over to the next Regular Season. Match suspensions incurred as a result of the accumulation of Yellow Cards in either the Regular Season or Finals Series must be served in the next A-League Match in which the Club competes whether that be in the Regular Season or Finals Series.

Don't think they can miss the Final, they'd miss the next fixture.

I know that Topor-Stanley received a red against us in the FFA quarters and was deem ineligible for the Sydney derby.

Not sure on Yellows though 

Edited by [LIBBA]

10 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I know that Topor-Stanley received a red against us in the FFA quarters and was deem ineligible for the Sydney derby.

Not sure on Yellows though 

Yep thats the other way around though: if a player gets a red in an FFA Cup game he has to serve it in the next competitive game (be it League or Cup) because if they get booted out of the cup he'd serve no other punishment. When its a red or accumulation of yellows in the League the suspension stays within the league.

Edited by bt50

3 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Kids go free? Perfect! Was planning on taking my 2 nieces and nephew and will be using my free general admission pass to give to my brother. This will no doubt be the best crowd of the season due to being a reasonable time for families and being a nice day.

Love your optimism. I had the same sort of feeling a few weeks back against Adelaide. 

The only thing that really counts is that I'll be there.😉

• Like 1

Sorensen

Franjic    Chapman      Jakobsen     Muscat

Kilkenny        Brattan

Cahill

Kamau                  Fornaroli              Brandan

Subs : Bouzanis Caceres Colazo Fitzgerald Rose

Think Malik will likely have a spell with the groin, so Rose will come in as defensive cover, meaning Retre is the unlucky one. Colazo off the bench for a half hour before playing a big stint on Wednesday.
Very interested to see who gets the nod out of the keepers.

2-1  for me, but a big danger game.

• Like 1