• a day ago
  • by MATT WINDLEY
  • Source: Herald Sun
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

BESART Berisha will not be able to become an Australian citizen before next season.

After receiving his permanent residency last month, the Melbourne Victory striker hoped he might receive his ­citizenship in the coming months, possibly as soon as Australia Day.

But it has been confirmed that Berisha will have to wait until at least October to be ­naturalised.

To become eligible for ­Australian citizenship, a person must live here on permanent residency for at least a year.

Government does not have any powers through the Australian Citizenship Act to fast-track a naturalisation bid.

As soon as Berisha receives his citizenship, he will not be counted as one of Victory’s five overseas players.

But the club had not been planning around Berisha ­becoming naturalised this season, aware of the technicalities involved.

It means Victory cannot pursue a full-season guest marquee player, as international players recruited under this rule are counted among a club’s five visa players.

But Victory can recruit an international on a 14-game guest stint.

A 14-game guest player is paid outside the salary cap and does not count towards a club’s overseas player allocation.

Football Federation Australia has funds set aside to help clubs recruit players under the new full-season guest player rule. But it is understood that, at its discretion, FFA may help a club secure a high-profile, short-term guest, if the right player comes along.

This month FIFA cleared Berisha, 31, to play for newly recognised Kosovo, ­despite him having playing 17 internationals for Albania.

That news did not have any bearing on his pursuit of ­Australian citizenship.

This article certainly indicates the 14 game guest stint is still available. Surely not?? :tooth:

Like the rest of us, citizenship requires four years in Australia,  at least one on PR.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

It is almost confirmed that the signing of a 3 year deal with Dean Bouzanis has lead to CFG to swap Thomas Sorensen for Frank Lampard

That would be amazing! Imagine that another pensioner like Cahill walking around, no drive and back tracking - we might as well give the FFA heads up that Killlenny will get a yellow card ban every second game to correct the walk on the park players.....

14 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I got my hair cut Monday night (there is still blonde in it for anyone wanting a lol tonight) anyway, she didn't mention it so I am skeptical.

Same here. I watched Serbian news on SBS and no story on Lampard to Melbourne.

• 2 weeks later...