Melbourne Football

AAMI Park

JMX

As a Manchester City supporter I was keen to see how the offshoot Melbourne team progressed, so I started to watch the games on TV.

I am now a keen supporter, and visited Melbourne last year during a tour of Australia and New Zealand, where I took many photos of the Etihad Stadium in Dockland.

I now find that most of the home games are at AAMI Park, and Melbourne Victoria seem to be playing some of their home games at the Etihad Stadium.

Could someone please explain.

Etihad holds over 50k. We have 11k members, and more often than not get less than that showing up at games. There's a host of other reasons as well. Prior to CFG taking over we always played at AAMI so it makes sense to continue to utilise the venue. As well as AAMI being a purpose built stadium for football, accessibility, our cross town rivals use Etihad for a number of home games etc. But basically it's a shit stadium for football, the stands are too far from the pitch (50 metres in some areas). There'd be more reasons as well, including financial ones, but these are the general reasons why AAMI is far superior. 

Edited by n i k o

10 hours ago, JMX said:

As a Manchester City supporter I was keen to see how the offshoot Melbourne team progressed, so I started to watch the games on TV.

I am now a keen supporter, and visited Melbourne last year during a tour of Australia and New Zealand, where I took many photos of the Etihad Stadium in Dockland.

I now find that most of the home games are at AAMI Park, and Melbourne Victoria seem to be playing some of their home games at the Etihad Stadium.

Etihad Stadium's primary purpose is an AFL (Australian Rules Football) ground, but its also used by Melbourne Victory (as well as a domestic 20/20 cricket team) for a handful of games a year which include their home derbies against us. As Jimmy said AAMI Park has always been our home ground. 

11 hours ago, JMX said:

Suggest you have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Stadium which explains the history of the stadium including the naming rights. In summary, Etihad Airways took over the naming rights in 2009, well before Manchester City became the majority (now full) owners of Melbourne Heart (now Melbourne City) in 2013.

All Heart/City home A-League/FFA Cup matches have been played on our home ground, originally known as the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and currently known as AAMI Park, except for one pre-season match (vs. Everton at Docklands) and a small number played at country grounds (Morwell, Albury-Wodonga, Ballarat) as part of FFA's involvement with regional areas. Some pre-season practice matches are also played at regional or suburban grounds.

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see a name change of Etihad now that the AFL owns it. 

Current naming rights go to 2019. I don't really see what the ownership has to do with anything, whoever owns it will happily take the highest bid no matter what the company. Subiaco Oval was to be renamed Crazy Johns Stadium a few moons ago, but it was rejected by the local council. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, JMX said:

Are you the same JMX as the Youtuber? Lol

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Forever City said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosent AAMI's naming rights deal expire next year? Is there any indication that they will renew the contract or will it be called something like "Etihad Park"? 

Let's exclude the fact that we already have an etihad stadium in Melbourne.

Considering that victory, storm and rebels all play there I can't see the benefit in etihad getting involved in a deal for aami. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forever City said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosent AAMI's naming rights deal expire next year? Is there any indication that they will renew the contract or will it be called something like "Etihad Park"? 

Yes, an eight-year deal was signed in March 2010.

I shudder to think what sponsorship name will be adopted after the current deal expires. They seem to get worse as time goes by.

• Like 1