Melbourne Football

City Youth Players to Watch

citymad

8 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Connor Metcalfe

Younger than the rest and better. Won't play 1st team for a couple of years but definitely has talent.

Totally agree Tangerine. He’s creative on the ball and makes things happen. Can use both feet naturally, not a selfish player and will only get better with time. Enjoyed watching him play. Definitely one to watch.

• Like 1

Ok so i got to the game and it was a pretty impressed with the city team. A good win by a dominant city squad. I reckon Arzani played well as expected, however a couple of others really grabbed my attention. Don't know names of some only numbers - so if any one else can put a name to a number it would help. most of the players i have picked i have never seen before so they are either new or young. 

right back 36 - good going forward and was looking to hook up with his winger etc. had a couple of runs into box and looked dangerous

midfield - 46 - really good player, looks young for sure but is so calm and controlled. had some good shots on goal and was unlucky not to score. was constantly playing balls through and setting up opportunity. got a great assist to a goal. 

tall Dark kid - Ahmed 41 - was destroying the opposition - just gliding past them and got two goals. if he keeps playing like that he will play A league for sure. played last year 

winger with the head scarf - 50 - also looked good and nearly scored. 

mid field 34 - really hard worker possibly could pass the ball sooner, but was looking for a runner etc. 

overall was a great game IMO. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, citymad said:

Ok so i got to the game and it was a pretty impressed with the city team. A good win by a dominant city squad. I reckon Arzani played well as expected, however a couple of others really grabbed my attention. Don't know names of some only numbers - so if any one else can put a name to a number it would help. most of the players i have picked i have never seen before so they are either new or young. 

right back 36 - good going forward and was looking to hook up with his winger etc. had a couple of runs into box and looked dangerous

midfield - 46 - really good player, looks young for sure but is so calm and controlled. had some good shots on goal and was unlucky not to score. was constantly playing balls through and setting up opportunity. got a great assist to a goal. 

tall Dark kid - Ahmed 41 - was destroying the opposition - just gliding past them and got two goals. if he keeps playing like that he will play A league for sure. played last year 

mid field 34 - really hard worker possibly could pass the ball sooner, but was looking for a runner etc. 

The kid with the head scarf is Gerry Sylaidos #50

10 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

ok thanks - Sylaidos. I will have a look at him again next week. He played well and for a 16yo was very impressive. roster says they play Victory. it will be a good game if they play the same team line up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

1 hour ago, citymad said:

ok thanks - Sylaidos. I will have a look at him again next week. He played well and for a 16yo was very impressive. roster says they play Victory. it will be a good game if they play the same team line up. 

iirc Sylaidos started this season in the NPL U20s, finished the season strongly as a regular starter in our NPL senior.  played both wings, always looked sharp and could stay wide or cut when appropriate.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 9:39 AM, citymad said:

36: Dylan Pierias
46: Connor metcalfe
41: Yusuf Ahmed
50: Gerrie Sylaidos
34: Denis Genreau

Report on the match here: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/nyl-report-city-4-1-adelaide/1s6tnj26cafl15dn593rma3iy

• Like 1

Great game yesterday. Boys worked well as a team. Leo Athanasiou was letting nobody through at the back, Dylan Pierias defended and attacked well the whole game, Denis Genreau man of the match IMO. Worked hard in the midfield with Arzani and Metcalfe. At this rate the boys could win the NYL title. Keep on going lads!

• Like 2

Very good game by city NYL team. They must be being coached very well because every player had moments of brilliance. Being a derby against the rivals made the 3 - 0 scoreline very sweet. I thought it would be much tighter game but honestly the victory were only in the game for about 10 min of second half. City completely outplayed the Victory youth squad. well done. next game is V Perth. If you haven't seen the team play get along and watch. so far City are unbeaten and on top of table with 6 points and 6 goals for. Would be cool if they ended up V Sydney in a final. Also Victory dropped Bray, Ingham and Nigro from first team. we only really had colazo, who BTW played well and scored. hopefully he will be in A league next week and fully fit for the FFA cup game. Seriously reckon that at least 6 of the lads will make the greade and be A league players. 

In general victory were ordinary but a little better than Adelaide. 

Could not get to the game today. It was in the morning and I work Saturdays but I read the game report and it was only 1 nil. Any body see the game? It reads like we played good but perth were tough opposition. Good win though even if we reduced to ten men. That means three wins in a row. Top of table in our conference. things are lookin good. 

Shame you missed it Citymad was a good game. Perth came to win. They were unlucky with a couple of their shots, one hitting the crossbar and Sozer saving a penalty. Was a pretty physical game. Tongyik played awesome down the back, think without him the scoreline might have been different. Genreau sent off after 2 yellows (was a pretty soft yellow), so unfortunately he will miss the Brisbane game this weekend. Will be interesting to see what changes Pala makes to deal with his absence. Gallo, Athanasiou and Pierias all brilliant. Wong, Arzani and Metcalfe razzing the midfield. Their first away game this weekend, hopefully can take on a strong Brisbane team and come away with another win.

• Like 2

well the game has to be replayed due to rain. might be a good result because we were losing 2 - 0 and it was almost half time. twitter made it seem like the boys were struggling with the Brisbane team a bit. at least this way we know what to expect and can prepare better for the replay. 

8 hours ago, Tomi said:

I got to Brisbane Citymad. The score did not reflect the game. City were dominating play. Gallo, Metcalfe & Ahmed stand outs. Will be interesting to see the re-match. Arzani & Genreau were not in the team

Thanks for that Tomi. So am i right in thinking that the lads could have won the game? That's good news because the tweets were a bit alarming. Did we even have a shoot on goal? well as i said earlier, this way we get to play them aain and we know what their tactics are. Actually i read on another web site that the brisbane Roar NYL coach is none other than James Robinson from Ballarat Red Devils. So at least it takes a Victorian coach to create a team that is competitive against the city lads. I saw that Genreau was not in the team as you mentioned in a previous post that he copped a red card the against Perth Glory before. He is a stand out player so maybe the team took a bit of time to adjust to him not being there. For mine, even though Arzani did not play, he needs to step up and prove his worth a bit more than he has. He plays well but with his experience he should be really dominating NYL. Atm he is not. If he does this I think city can remain unbeaten and take the title,  which would be awesome. 

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Genreau was an unused substitute for the A-League match vs. Brisbane.

Ok, I did not realise this, well that is good. He should not be far off his first match time with the Ist team. I think a few others should also be given a run as well. especially is the youth are doing so well in NYL. 

On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 8:14 AM, citymad said:

Ok, I did not realise this, well that is good. He should not be far off his first match time with the Ist team. I think a few others should also be given a run as well. especially is the youth are doing so well in NYL. 

If Genereau or any other youth players get much of a run this season that would be a disaster. But being part of the matchday squad would be a big step up. No disrespect for the youth players just that this season we have a very deep squad.  

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

If Genereau or any other youth players get much of a run this season that would be a disaster. But being part of the matchday squad would be a big step up. No disrespect for the youth players just that this season we have a very deep squad.  

Arzani has already had a run 

Agree with your comment Jovan, ( 'If Genereau or any other youth players get much of a run this season that would be a disaster'as good as it is to see some talented players coming through, they are not ready for A League matches just yet. Schip can't risk putting on younger players, he needs to win. Ive watched Genreau play many times and he's not quite ready yet. Its great City are giving the youth a chance though. Unlike victards 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

Agree with your comment Jovan, ( 'If Genereau or any other youth players get much of a run this season that would be a disaster'as good as it is to see some talented players coming through, they are not ready for A League matches just yet. Schip can't risk putting on younger players, he needs to win. Ive watched Genreau play many times and he's not quite ready yet. Its great City are giving the youth a chance though. Unlike victards 

These youth that are becoming fringe players need to dominate in the npl team first. Problem is all 3 teams have different calendars, sooner they all align the better it will be. 

Having said that I can't see how it could happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citymad said:

Brendan Crowley is also in the A league squad anybody know if he will play in the NYL team. 

He's not listed as such but is listed in the Youth squad. He's on what is known as a "scholarship contract", but I'm not quite sure what that means.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/melbourne-city-signs-teenage-striker-braedyn-crowley/1ddqjr79ogeh81on76nqx6tiiu
Hasn't got anywhere near the seniors so far, and in fact I've seen no mention of him since the signing.

10 hours ago, Tomi said:

well i see that genreau is in the named squad for the sydney game so he might just get a run with the first team yet

• Like 1

"Denis Genreau retains his spot in the side with the young midfielder being a surprise addition to the bench for last week’s clash at AAMI Park" .... surely just a pat on the head and will be omitted??? No way Schip will throw him in against Sydney. Maybe he'll get a run against The CCM or Jets, but I can't see him getting a run tonight. This is a must win game. Where's Arzani?? He's not being mentioned. Maybe injured? Crowley has been injured, I believe he is back training with the team now. Watched him play a few times, he's very fast, but that's about it. Haven't been overly impressed. As far as I know there are 5 or 6 "scholarship contracts" Genreau, Crowley, Cavallo, Sozer all got one, not sure about the others. They are either 1 or 2 year contracts and get paid roughly 20 grand a year, so I spose if your getting paid the big bux the club will expect you to step up.

4 hours ago, Tomi said:

"Denis Genreau retains his spot in the side with the young midfielder being a surprise addition to the bench for last week’s clash at AAMI Park" .... surely just a pat on the head and will be omitted??? No way Schip will throw him in against Sydney. Maybe he'll get a run against The CCM or Jets, but I can't see him getting a run tonight. This is a must win game. Where's Arzani?? He's not being mentioned. Maybe injured? Crowley has been injured, I believe he is back training with the team now. Watched him play a few times, he's very fast, but that's about it. Haven't been overly impressed. As far as I know there are 5 or 6 "scholarship contracts" Genreau, Crowley, Cavallo, Sozer all got one, not sure about the others. They are either 1 or 2 year contracts and get paid roughly 20 grand a year, so I spose if your getting paid the big bux the club will expect you to step up.

I did not know crowley was injured but that explains why he is not in the youth line up or A league bench. He scored a lot of goals at nothcote in npl so obviously has an eye for the net. If it is true that the players you mentioned get 20K (which is not much for a 21YO IMO) then yes i suppose you would want them to step up. But i agree it can't be at the cost of the game. IIRC a youth midfielder came on as a starter last year against a must win Sydney clash and was completely over whelmed, got necked on 30 min.  we lost the game. I pray that JVS does not do the same for this game and put Genreau on. It would riun the kid and also lose the game. Maybe 5 min at the end of a 4 nil thrashing of CCM is the place for inexperienced youth. 

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia an A-League squad must contain three players who are under 20 (and IIRC that is on the 1st January of the year in which the season commences) and AFAIK those players are Daniel Arzani, Ruon Tongyik and Steve Kuzmanowski. In addition, each club can sign a further three youth players to full-time contracts but at lower rates than would otherwise apply (the 23+3 rule). IMO if you are promoting youth players from the NYL/NPL squad in preference to those already signed to the senior squad then you haven't got your original signings right. As you point out, JvS has a habit of doing just that. For a couple of matches it was Cavallo, now it's Genreau.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to Wikipedia an A-League squad must contain three players who are under 20 (and IIRC that is on the 1st January of the year in which the season commences) and AFAIK those players are Daniel Arzani, Ruon Tongyik and Steve Kuzmanowski. In addition, each club can sign a further three youth players to full-time contracts but at lower rates than would otherwise apply (the 23+3 rule). IMO if you are promoting youth players from the NYL/NPL squad in preference to those already signed to the senior squad then you haven't got your original signings right. As you point out, JvS has a habit of doing just that. For a couple of matches it was Cavallo, now it's Genreau.

I agree, I have the feeling though that JVS,  in apparently his last season, will want to win. So may throw his youth policy out in favour of the win and eventual toilet seat prize. Maybe Genreau in because Kuzi is injured. or maybe just rotating the youth to see how they go. NYL is there for a reason. it should be a longer season though. 

big weekend for youth against Adelaide. I reckon if they win two or three more they wont be able to be beaten and will make GF. Whats better is that vic NYL team is getting flogged. So proves our coaching is better and City is on the rise. Hopefully i havent jinxed them and they et the win. Last time they travelled to Brisbane it didnt start too well. Anyway. Good luck to the boys. 

3 hours ago, citymad said:

big weekend for youth against Adelaide. I reckon if they win two or three more they wont be able to be beaten and will make GF. Whats better is that vic NYL team is getting flogged. So proves our coaching is better and City is on the rise. Hopefully i havent jinxed them and they et the win. Last time they travelled to Brisbane it didnt start too well. Anyway. Good luck to the boys. 

Results at youth level actually means very little. Success should be measured in the number of graduates to senior level 

• Like 1