Melbourne Football

City Youth Players to Watch

citymad

1 hour ago, haz said:

Halftime in Australia vs Vietnam

AUS 1-0 VET

• Delianov (GK), Atkinson (CM), Metcalfe (CM), Najjarine (RW) starting... thats 36% of the XI City Youth
  • Cavallo, Najjar, Pierias on the bench

Finished AUS 2-1 VET

• Cavallo subbed on at 72'
  • Atkinson got the assist of the 2nd goal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Think Atkinson's actually been in the central midfield. It's a headbanded Scott (no 13) at LB. Atkinson just scored too.

Im just going off the line up given by Google.

In other news, Atkinson just equalised!!

Still learning about the way Joyce thinks. These players have been at an international tournament. They have been training daily and playing against good opposition. Yet because it is not Joyce's training the players will be lacking in fitness. Strange one.

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Like 1

It’s just a nicer way of saying and staying loyal to the ones who are at the club every training day....

You train and perform on match days, you keep your spot in the team, It’s that simple.

It sets a fair standard to every player and takes away any politics. Age and experience is out the window, that’s why all the young guns choose City over Victory. (And why Cahil sooked off to Milwal)

You look at Victory for example, it doesn’t matter if there starting 11 is out of form, missed 2 days to go visit family interstate for a wedding or flown in the night before from international duty, if they are available they are in the starting 11.

No young kid with potential wants to be waiting for that, because he’ll never get his chance.... Nabout, Pain ect...

Thats why each week you can pick 10 out of the 11 players of there squad and we have know idea who is playing in our midfield three. Wazza is here to change our culture and his doing a great job of it.

In the Heart, JVS, Aloisi days we couldn’t score a goal or get out of our own halves on AWAY games let alone win one, now we travel away and 7/10 times we look like the home team. 

And i think the new A-League record we set last week with 17 consecutive games scoring away from home proves that. Pretty good for a team who stared five years after most.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

There was or still a gastro outbreak in the team so players could struggle on return 

Load them up with Imodium and a cork :up:

1 minute ago, ABC123 said:

And i think the new A-League record we set last week with 17 consecutive games scoring away from home proves that.

Loved this stat when I heard it. Wish we could have converted these games into more wins

On 30/10/2018 at 3:35 PM, Inchcolm said:

Still learning about the way Joyce thinks. These players have been at an international tournament. They have been training daily and playing against good opposition. Yet because it is not Joyce's training the players will be lacking in fitness. Strange one.

IMO Joyce also places a lot of importance on being 110% focussed on playing football for Melbourne City. Hence his nickname "psycho" while at Preston, and his well-known comments about young players not doing the hard yards.
Image deleted

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-joyce-januzaj-12521368

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Joyce also places a lot of importance on being 110% focussed on playing football for Melbourne City. Hence his nickname "psycho" while at Preston, and his well-known comments about young players not doing the hard yards.
image.png.fcfd0e76c93c1d795902ce483d3cae4a.png

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-news-joyce-januzaj-12521368

I like that

• 4 weeks later...

'I looked nine when I walked into City!'

Clement Tito

The teenager has been involved with City’s set-up since 2014 and made is first-team debut in the final five minutes against Central Coast Mariners in January.

He had to wait until a fortnight ago for  his second appearance though, coming on in the 86th minute against Wellington Phoenix.

Metcalfe grew up in Newcastle and has played football since he was six, knocking the ball around during recess and lunch time at school.

The midfielder idolised Socceroos legend Harry Kewell who inspired his dream of being a professional footballer.

He's now won the NYL in 2017 and represented Australia with the Young Socceroos three times – but is now targetting more first-team minutes.

“My goals for this year would be to stay fit and healthy,” Metcalfe told FTBL. “I want to try and get as many minutes as I can really.

"I’m really looking forward to it and hopefully I can get more opportunities. It’s what I’ve always wanted and then when I finally do get a taste of it - even when it’s like five or 10 minutes, I just want more of it.

"It’s a really good feeling.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fMetcalfe_before_and_after.jpg&c=0

Metcalfe says he looked nine when he walked into the club as a teenager... Is he wrong?

“I’ve been at the club close to four years and coming up through the juniors and then finally making my debut, then getting on two weeks ago for 10 minutes has been unreal.

“I moved to Melbourne from Newcastle when I was 14 because of dad’s work and went to school in Maribyrnong for two years then Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School for two more years. I didn’t do Year 12 because I wanted to do football full-time.

“I always wanted to be a footballer as a kid. When I was younger, I once told my dad I might change to rugby league, but he said ‘Nah, mate. You’re too little for rugby’, so I just stuck at football, but I’ve always loved it.

“My dad played rugby at local level, but I was more into the soccer and then I got my parents into it. Nowadays, my parents are more into it than I ever thought they’d be!”

Metcalfe also paid tribute to Joe Palatsides for guiding him at youth level. Now the 19-year-old is keen to prove to Warren Joyce he's worthy of more senior minutes.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=https%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fMetcalfe_bench.jpg&c=0

Metcalfe on the bench against the Nix. By Matt McIndoe/MJM Photography

“We’ve got one of the best youth setups in Australia I reckon,” he said. “You look at our youth team that played two weeks ago (in a 2-0 loss to Brisbane Roar), the result wasn’t great.

"But the majority of those players were in school. Giving them experience at the age of 16 is just fantastic. For the club to have the belief in them is just great.

“Joe was really helpful for me when I started off in the u-20s. Everyone was a lot older and I looked like I was about nine years old!

"All these other guys had beards and it was just crazy, but he always believed in me and backed me.

“I eventually moved from the U20s and went up to the senior NPL team. He was just really helpful and he still is, and always has a chat with me around the club.

“Warren's shown from his youth days at Manchester United that he’s got big belief in youth players like Nathaniel Atkinson and Daniel Arzani.

"He’s always telling us to do more, do extras and put pressure on the older boys to take their spot. He really wants us to mature as players and show what we can do.”

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/i-looked-nine-when-i-walked-into-city-515937

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Harrison said:

How many goals has Moudi Najjar now scored in the Y-league?

What else does he have to do to get on the bench, or a few token minutes?

Someone asked that joey Lynch on twitter about him last week, and he said that he needs to show more at training and he isn't close to being picked 

2 hours ago, neio said:

Someone asked that joey Lynch on twitter about him last week, and he said that he needs to show more at training and he isn't close to being picked 

He’ll make the bench this week. Will he get any minutes? Maybe 15 if everything goes to plan. 

Looks like a decent prospect. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

This thread has been a bit dead ll

Maybe there aren't any coming through our internal system really demanding their way in as Arzani did? I don't think Atkinson has gone on with it as well as everyone had hoped, and I don't think I'm alone in questioning whether Najjarine is as good as others said he was. Others have made the seniors bench but have either not come on, or come on for only a short period. Wales and McGree have come in from outside our academy structure. Genreau is getting overseas experience but not much game time.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Mork said:

Pierias gone, Cavallo gone and Delianov gone. Metcalfe, Najjarine, Najjar and Abdulahi with minutes this year. Who are the up and comers from Youth to make the step up?

Iannuci, Graham, Portelli, Colakovski are by accounts all very good players. And there will be more coming through the U-20, U-18 and U-15 Academy teams.