Melbourne Football

RD 7: Bankstown Kebab Association VS Melbourne

strider

My prediction for last nights game was that our individual quality would see us through but could have been very dodgy had we conceded first, we were a missed tap in away from being in a bit of strife, but Bruno's quality gave us the points.

onto this match, I put this in the Brisbane away category, if we are legitimate contenders we should win, but in all likelyhood we will get stifled and come away empty handed without showing much. These are the games that tell us if we are truly going anywhere, we failed last time out away, another opportunity awaits.

40 minutes ago, playmaker said:

It's a typical Lancer with a body kit rolling on 20s (WSW) vs a VL turbo on Micky Ts (MC) ..... the Lancer is shit but is guaranteed to cross the line, where the VL will decimate all if it doesn't drop it's guts half way down the track.

JVS is the mechanic, :huh:

But The Amazing Magical Bruno is driving. :D

WTF did I just read. That makes no sense. 

11 hours ago, playmaker said:

It's a typical Lancer with a body kit rolling on 20s (WSW) vs a VL turbo on Micky Ts (MC) ..... the Lancer is shit but is guaranteed to cross the line, where the VL will decimate all if it doesn't drop it's guts half way down the track.

JVS is the mechanic, :huh:

But The Amazing Magical Bruno is driving. :D

Nice! "Will decimate all after we spend $1m on a manager from the Olyroos" 

If we're being honest,  we really should win this comfortably. Martinez and jumpei are their only 2 players that look any good and jumpei is wasteful when it comes to final ball alot

If they play Hamill at RB again,  Brandan will have an absolute field day and we'll they have redders and clisby as regular starters as well 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

If we're being honest,  we really should win this comfortably. Martinez and jumpei are their only 2 players that look any good and jumpei is wasteful when it comes to final ball alot

If they play Hamill at RB again,  Brandan will have an absolute field day and we'll they have redders and clisby as regular starters as well 

All we need to do is get the ball to redmayne and he will take care of the rest. But if they apply the same tactic to Bouzanis we could be in for a very high scoring game.

• Like 1

If we only have 20% possession we should still win by a couple of goals, they will dominate us, Martinez will run rings around us but they won't have anyone to finish things off. We will swing it the other way and bury them with limited opportunities like MV did last night, throw in the joke that is redmayne and a defence that's actually worse than ours and that should lead to a comfortably scoreline, though the balance of the game probably won't reflect it.

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

Accusing a ref of match fixing? Not likely to be just a fine

I don't think that he accused Garret of match fixing - some people could read that into the statement but I think a half decent legal rep would be parry that accusation away. Having said that it is about time that the FFA be taken to task for the either below standard refereeing or the matches are rigged.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I don't think that he accused Garret of match fixing - some people could read that into the statement but I think a half decent legal rep would be parry that accusation away. Having said that it is about time that the FFA be taken to task for the either below standard refereeing or the matches are rigged.

Whether that's his intent or not it can so easily be misconstrued for match fixing. To claim you have only won 1 game with one particularly referee is an accusation that the referee has an impartial view of your team and thereby affects his decisions. Sounds like a form of match fixing to me. 

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Whether that's his intent or not it can so easily be misconstrued for match fixing. To claim you have only won 1 game with one particularly referee is an accusation that the referee has an impartial view of your team and thereby affects his decisions. Sounds like a form of match fixing to me. 

I think you mean "biased"? "Match fixing" is a big statement...

IMO the officials are doing their best. But with a small pool of officials and only five matches per week I doubt that we are getting enough circulation of the officials during a season as they do in bigger leagues where a particular ref. would possible only officiate a particular club once or twice in a season. I don't think I would say that our situation leads to bias, but it probably does tend to give the officials some pre-conceived ideas about teams and players.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the officials are doing their best. But with a small pool of officials and only five matches per week I doubt that we are getting enough circulation of the officials during a season as they do in bigger leagues where a particular ref. would possible only officiate a particular club once or twice in a season. I don't think I would say that our situation leads to bias, but it probably does tend to give the officials some pre-conceived ideas about teams and players.

Match fixing is a big statement. I'm not saying Poppa was accusing the referee of match fixing at all however his comments can be misconstrued this way. I've read and heard statements from clubs and coaches around the world of match fixing and Poppas comments come very close to the way these accusations are made.

FWIW I have no doubt that Poppa is saying that there may be some bias there against his team, nothing more. However he needs to be careful how he says these things especially when you leave the intent of the bias open to interpretation. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Exactly this. Everyone is "biased" to some degree or other (except possibly me). It's a difficult job and I don't think the referees are consciously biased. However the standard of refereeing, whilst having improved, still has a way to go with quite obvious mistakes being made each week.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Exactly this. Everyone is "biased" to some degree or other (except possibly me). It's a difficult job and I don't think the referees are consciously biased. However the standard of refereeing, whilst having improved, still has a way to go with quite obvious mistakes being made each week.

There's  not a single league in the world that thinks they have a good standard of refereeing, its the nature of the beast. Impossible to get right, always easy to get wrong. I certainly dont think our refs are any worse than what ive seen in other leagues anyway.

Don't get me wrong, i've given many a decent serve towards refs during a game and seen many a game that was reffed poorly, but at the end of the day if you are complaining about it any longer than a few hours after the match, you're probably missing the point completely. Swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

There's  not a single league in the world that thinks they have a good standard of refereeing, its the nature of the beast. Impossible to get right, always easy to get wrong. I certainly dont think our refs are any worse than what ive seen in other leagues anyway.

Don't get me wrong, i've given many a decent serve towards refs during a game and seen many a game that was reffed poorly, but at the end of the day if you are complaining about it any longer than a few hours after the match, you're probably missing the point completely. Swings and roundabouts at the end of the day.

Exactly. By the end of the season WSW will have a dubious call in their favour.

I really hope they don't bring in video refs because it's such a slippery slope. You only have to look at rugby league

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Exactly. By the end of the season WSW will have a dubious call in their favour.

I really hope they don't bring in video refs because it's such a slippery slope. You only have to look at rugby league

Agreed. Once you've got the video you can't make a decision without it. "Oh we've got it they have to use it" & that is the end of the flow of the game.

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agreed. Once you've got the video you can't make a decision without it. "Oh we've got it they have to use it" & that is the end of the flow of the game.

Theres without a doubt going to be a lot of incident's of 50-50 or 'soft' decisions that are going to cause just as much problems as what a missed or crap one does now. Video ref is a waste of time imo.

well the appointment of full time referees has not improved their performance. What I would like to see at least as a trial basis during the pre-season would be for the refs to have a small camera mounted on a miners lamp and then the video signal stored in a server. It could well be that the position of the ref did not indicate a foul, or the view may be obstructed or what ever but that would provide  the basis for training to get better positioning. Also if the video showed a clear foul and the ref waved it away he can be instructed to not let that happen again. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah exactly. TBF I cant stand rugby league but ive seen the video refs and they get asked to check one thing and then they go Oh hang on lets at this, and this, ohh that looks like something lets look at that too.

Goal line technology is different because its for one use and its very quick. It will probably get to a point where the balls will contain a special coating and the lines have some kind of mechanism where the ref will know immediately if the whole ball crossed the line. But thats where the tech should stop.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yeah exactly. TBF I cant stand rugby league but ive seen the video refs and they get asked to check one thing and then they go Oh hang on lets at this, and this, ohh that looks like something lets look at that too.

Goal line technology is different because its for one use and its very quick. It will probably get to a point where the balls will contain a special coating and the lines have some kind of mechanism where the ref will know immediately if the whole ball crossed the line. But thats where the tech should stop.

Not to mention the fact that most decisions are too hard to tell and go with umpires call anyway.