Melbourne Football

The Hall of Shame- What is the worst game Heart/City ever played?

KSK_47

So after last nights ridiculous display of inept coaching against Brisbane I want to know. Whats the worst Heart/City game you can remember? That one that still makes you want to kick holes in the wall whenever you think of it?

Please try to add a youtube video or news article wherever possible

Probably not the absolute worst game in terms of performance, but my parents traveled down from North Queensland to watch this game (first Heart/City game for them) and yea... this shit happened. JVS was a deer in headlights during the 2nd half

Heart Era

Either the 0-2 home game against Jets where we had 25 shots to 2, or the first Heart final against Glory in Perth, made even worse because I wasted money to watch just another limp directionless performance. Any Bambi coached performance would also make the list especially the game with the chest thumping "I'm all Heart"/

City Era

Again, an embarrassment of 'riches' but probably last season's home capitulation against WSW

• Like 1

14th of October 2012

In front of 10,000 (think we had a ticket offer that game) against a Wellington side missing 7 players and their coach on International duty. They even included 3 debutants, who didn't play again that season such was their lack of players and they had to use their 3rd choice keeper.

On the back of a Derby win in Rd 1, plenty of fans pack in and saw us take a lead in the 20th minute, Aziz bursting down the wing, cutting back to Fred who tee'd up Matty Thompson to rifle home. Things were looking great as we hit the break up 1-0 and looking good. 3 minutes into the 2nd half and Colosimo went full retard. Handball. Penalty. Red Card. Goal. We held on for a draw but it was a classic Heart moment, get punters in, build them up, only to fuck it. 

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 4

I dunno about the worst, but one that sticks out to me was the second Christmas derby where we lost 3-1 at AAMI Park. Paddy Kisnorbo got sent off after 10 minutes and Victory kicked the shit out of us all night. Our consellation goal came from a Victory player clearing the ball into Nick Kalmar's face and rebounding into the net. Shit night.

Here are the statistics to help you along the way...

Regular league matches (no finals) played by Heart/City against the teams currently in the competition. In alphabetical order.

Total matches played so far: 161. Won 51, Drawn 41, Lost 69.

Team:                                  W   D   L
Adelaide                               6    5   8
Brisbane                               8    3   8
Central Coast                       4    4   10
MV                                        7    5   7
Newcastle                             7    2   9
Perth                                     5    6   8
Sydney                                  6    8   4
Wellington                             6    6   7
WSW                                     2    2   8

I'm no statistician, but the numbers say that more often than not we're not going to win, more often than not we're not going to lose, and more often than not we're not going to draw. Pretty much being a Heart/City supporter you could get any of the three results at any given match... Our only positive record is against Sydney, our worst is against Wanderers, closely followed by Central Coast.

If anyone out there is a statistician and would like the spreadsheet to play with please PM me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

Against central coast couple years ago,  lost 2-0. Duke scored both,  tando got sent off and we gave absolutely nothing 

Ha, beat me to it.  I'd gone to the game as part of a 10 day holiday on the NSW central coast. 

We'd actually played Newcastle 5 days earlier - the same game when Koren started and bagged a hattrick.

So to turn up and play so shite against the Mariners was so frustrating.

Games at home against both Wellington and Newcastle have also seen a few shockers. the 1-0 loss against Wellington when Bambi was sacked two days later is a stand out.

9 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

The FFA Cup semi in Perth. That one was an insult to the fans.

Does that one count? Wasn't that a youth team match?

My two worst - both last season because of what they cost us.
Worst-ever: 0-2 against Adelaide in the last home match - if we'd have won that we would have finished third and qualified for the ACL.
Runner-up: 2-3 against Newcastle early in the season when we were 2-0 up at half-time.

Edited by jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Does that one count? Wasn't that a youth team match?

My two worst - both last season because of what they cost us.
Worst-ever: 0-2 against Adelaide in the last home match - if we'd have won that we would have finished third and qualified for the ACL.
Runner-up: 2-3 against Newcastle early in the season when we were 2-0 up at half-time.

I mean the first time we made the finals, Season 2. I'd forgotten the cynical team selection FFA Cup game, I'll add that in too!

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Last nights Non effort was abysmal not so much by the players but by being out coached and out reffed all night.

Actually yeah, we have played worse than last night in terms of skills, passing, etc, but 0 shots on target was just absolutely dire. Also because of the inevitability. I knew by the 60th minute when nothing had changed that we wouldn't score. We wouldn't have scored if the game was 900 minutes long. Meanwhile we were cut to shreds at the back every single time. I'd say it was right up there with the worst.

Actually here we go. First official game as Melbourne City. City vs Sydney FC in the FFA Cup round of 32 in Ballarat. Was about -38 degrees and rainy and shit and I'd driven 2 hours to Ballarat to watch the game. Corey Gamiero put Sydney in front early on before Nick Kalmar equalised in the second half. It went to extra-time and it looked like it would be an exciting finish. Next minute we concede two penalties and Hoffman gets sent off and we lose 3-1. Shit night because of the result and the conditions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, neio said:

Another one to add to the list,  away against WSW.  They got red card in about first 10 minutes and tadic missed the penalty. From then on you wouldn't have known that we had extra player 

Pretty sure that was the one where victory supporters rocked up at the imp.  Great night.

18 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Actually here we go. First official game as Melbourne City. City vs Sydney FC in the FFA Cup round of 32 in Ballarat. Was about -38 degrees and rainy and shit and I'd driven 2 hours to Ballarat to watch the game. Corey Gamiero put Sydney in front early on before Nick Kalmar equalised in the second half. It went to extra-time and it looked like it would be an exciting finish. Next minute we concede two penalties and Hoffman gets sent off and we lose 3-1. Shit night because of the result and the conditions.

I'm still thawing out. (Only highlight was when their goalkeeper had his towel pinched and stomped in the mud)

19 October 2013

Round 2 13/14 season, coming off a 0-0 draw away from home against victory.

We lead 2-0 and then in the 70th and 76th 2 consecutive penalties and draw at home against CCM.

16 November 2014

Round 6 14/15 season, leading 2-0 and copping goals in the 80th and 90+4 minute to draw with CCM again at home.

1 hour ago, ecguymer said:

....have we ever lost to a shit team that was down to 10 men despite winning at half time?

Closest I have been able to find so far. Def not a shit team at that time though

28th March 2014 vs Brisbane, 2-1 loss

17' GOAL - Aziz Behich (Melb Heart)

35' GOAL - Dimitri Petratos (Brisbane)

49' RED CARD - Besart Berisha (Brisbane)

53' YELLOW CARD - Rob Wielaert (Melb Heart)

73' GOAL - Henrique de Andrade Silva (Brisbane)

90 + 1' YELLOW CARD - Stefan Mauk (Melb Heart)

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/03/28/brisbane-roar-vs-melbourne-heart-a-league-live-scores-4/

Edited by KSK_47

In City era: 5-2 derby loss. Probably the most exciting first half of football I've ever been too. Only for a second half full of rage and tears... 

Heart era: too many to pick from lol. The one that sticks out for me was the Christmas derby where Archie scored that chip in the 92nd minute to end the Tards derby drought. Losing any game to that mob hurts the most, but fuck that hurt alot

• Like 3

Another game 

I've never been so angry at a player as I was this night,  midweek game against WSW away,  game got delayed for ages due to weather 

Was 2-1 up when Chapman gave away a penalty,  then he got himself sent off for pushing referee.  92nd minute winner for them

This is really not good for my health,  bringing up all these demons 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cityamatic said:

CCM at home, round 6 season 2014-15. Up 2-0 until 80th minute when Trifiro pegged one back, Hutchinson with the leveller 4 mins into injury time.

Sad thing was I wasn't even surprised.

I can't even remember some of these nominations. Shows how many there have been and how numb I've become...

But I'll be back for more.

Victory Semi-Final has to be up there too, we just started to crumble. Mooy, Novillo and Williams all got injured, and while there was still 30 minutes left to play Williams was in the change rooms getting all flirty with his partner/wife

20 hours ago, Baka1 said:

In City era: 5-2 derby loss. Probably the most exciting first half of football I've ever been too. Only for a second half full of rage and tears... 

Heart era: too many to pick from lol. The one that sticks out for me was the Christmas derby where Archie scored that chip in the 92nd minute to end the Tards derby drought. Losing any game to that mob hurts the most, but fuck that hurt alot

Yep. Remember that oh so clearly. Bloody David Williams tried to be a smartarse and dribble past a Victory defender and lost the ball. All the fuckwit had to do was take a long range shot for goal or hit row Z for a goal kick - anything just to eat up the seconds. And the rest of our players were caught half asleep. I suppose that's what comes through in this thread - the repetitive way in which we've thrown away points over the years and seemingly never any accountability.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yep. Remember that oh so clearly. Bloody David Williams tried to be a smartarse and dribble past a Victory defender and lost the ball. All the fuckwit had to do was take a long range shot for goal or hit row Z for a goal kick - anything just to eat up the seconds. And the rest of our players were caught half asleep. I suppose that's what comes through in this thread - the repetitive way in which we've thrown away points over the years and seemingly never any accountability.

At least Josh Rosh for all his mistakes publicly accepts responsibility and apologises on Twitter (and hopefully to his team mates).