Melbourne Football

Round 6: Melbourne v Newcastle Jets....AAMI Park Thursday @ 7.50pm

n i k o

Just now, japiedog said:

great for a counter attack when defending the corner , not too sure on moving out before it had been cleared !

love the logic

Oh I see what u asked now.

When we were taking the corner the 4 tall guys in the box, the 3 shorter, faster guys on the edge to mop up the clearance and have a shot, and in case we lost possession the 3 of them would bolt to their areas to defend the counter.

Tactics for 13 year olds.... :)

I reckon we should use the same 3-1-4-2 the womens team used. Really need Timmy and Bruno as two strikers.

Sorenson

Franjic Chapman Jackobsen  

Kilkenny

Kamau                    Caceras     Retre                     Brandan

T and T

Edited by Dylan

On 11/5/2016 at 10:57 AM, jw1739 said:

IMO people all got carried away with our performances against Victory, first in the Derby and then in the Cup; we nearly always manage to lift for those matches. Apart from those two matches we have not really been very impressive. 1-0 in Wellington, a scratchy 2-1 at home to Adelaide, and defeats by Perth and Brisbane. I'm expecting Newcastle to employ exactly the same tactics against us as did Perth and Brisbane - choke up our attacks and then try to score on the counter.

Other than David Villa's first home match for us, our highest attendance vs. Newcastle has been 7,209 (Friday night 30th October 2015) so on a Thursday evening I would not expect us to exceed that, particularly with our erratic form.

Id say we looked pretty comfortable and that first half was quality.

The red card is where that all stopped to be honest, but at the same time we managed to grind out the win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Id say we looked pretty comfortable and that first half was quality.

The red card is where that all stopped to be honest, but at the same time we managed to grind out the win.

Yeah and the win against Adelaide definitely wasn't scratchy. We dominated them bar the last 10mins when they got their tails up because of that goal. 

What's the go with Malik and Chapman, each week a different one is on bench,  they come on for 10 minutes then completely out of squad 

Then they both play 90 minutes and Chapman Is out again 

Is it that JVS has no idea which one is better, or is there no confidence in either?

Edited by neio

46 minutes ago, neio said:

What's the go with Malik and Chapman, each week a different one is on bench,  they come on for 10 minutes then completely out of squad 

Then they both play 90 minutes and Chapman Is out again 

Is it that JVS has no idea which one is better, or is there no confidence in either?

Competition for places. You don't preform during the week in training you don't get in the 11/bench

Brattan out makes this one a bit tougher but still think we'll come away with the choccies.

Think we'll opt for

Bouzanis

Muscat Jakobsen Rose

Caceres Kilkenny Retre

Cahill

Kamau Fornaroli Brandan

Subs : Sorensen Malik Franjic Fitzgerald Arzani.

Would like to see this tho,

Sorensen

Franjic Muscat Jakobsen Rose Kamau

Kilkenny. Brandan Caceres.

Fornaroli.     Cahill

• Like 1

We really need to crush them tomorrow night, we really need to flex our muscle before the FFA final to put doubt into Sydney. It's so important we dominate all our games prior to that game so Arnold goes into his shell and we can dominate possession in the opposition half and pressure the turnover, and make them think twice about an aggressive counter. Even though it's not the style I favour, if we are going to play the way we do then we have to win convincingly the next few games.

Edited by playmaker

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Thomas Sorensen (GK), 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Josh Rose, 4. Connor Chapman, 5. Ivan Franjic, 6. Osama Malik, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 10. Anthony Caceres, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Nick Fitzgerald, 14. Daniel Arzani, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Paulo Retre, 20. Dean Bouzanis (GK), 21. Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 23. Bruno Fornaroli (C), 27. Fernando Brandan,

Ins: 4. Connor Chapman (promoted), 14. Daniel Arzani (promoted), 21. Ruon Tongyik (promoted)

Outs: 26. Luke Brattan (international duty)

Unavailable: 7. Corey Gameiro (ACL), 9. Nicholas Colazo (ear), 28. Steve Kuzmanovski (ACL)

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-ready-to-take-off-against-jets/1sduh203uu2ww1dadelw4kk2qy#lOb4CTG6Fl6Y37fv.99

Massive potential banana skin. 

Brattan out is a massive loss. Caceras looked good when he came on but Retre was pretty much ineffective. We might see Malik come into the midfield but I wouldn't mind seeing Arzani starting. 

Hopefully they've worked on corners this week especially with Brattan out. 

We should be good enough for a win but wouldn't be surprised if it's a draw and heaven forbid a loss.

1:0 unconvincing win.

• Like 2

How I think we should line up

Bouzanis 

Franjic.     Jakobsen.     Muscat

Malik

Kamau.       Caceras.     Kilkenny.     Brandan

Fornaroli.     Cahill 

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Massive potential banana skin. 

Brattan out is a massive loss. Caceras looked good when he came on but Retre was pretty much ineffective. We might see Malik come into the midfield but I wouldn't mind seeing Arzani starting. 

Hopefully they've worked on corners this week especially with Brattan out. 

We should be good enough for a win but wouldn't be surprised if it's a draw and heaven forbid a loss.

1:0 unconvincing win.

Trump is president. Any kind of bad shit can and probably will happen.

59 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Why the fuck are we playing on a Thursday? As much as this feels like a banana skin, I think we'll be too good and win 2-0

My guess is that it's a TV experiment by FFA. IMO a crowd of around 6,000 is the best we can hope for.

As for the result - statistically our results overall suggest that all three possible results are almost equally likely. Against Newcastle we have a 7-2-9 record. I know I'm being pessimistic but if we don't win tonight then it will start to look like just another Heart/City season.

Put simply, we just have to win to maintain credibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

My guess is that it's a TV experiment by FFA. IMO a crowd of around 6,000 is the best we can hope for.

As for the result - statistically our results overall suggest that all three possible results are almost equally likely. Against Newcastle we have a 7-2-9 record. I know I'm being pessimistic but if we don't win tonight then it will start to look like just another Heart/City season.

Put simply, we just have to win to maintain credibility.

If it is a TV experiment, surely you'd use a team likely to get a half-decent attendance?

7 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

FFA obviously thought that will happen with us with the addition of Cahill

TBH I would have said that although the arrival of Tim Cahill gave the A-League some good pre-season media exposure and its impact on our memberships is more than that of David Villa's purported 10-match stint, it has had very little effect, if any, on our home attendances so far. The publicity surrounding him has dropped off markedly.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I would have said that although the arrival of Tim Cahill gave the A-League some good pre-season media exposure and its impact on our memberships is more than that of David Villa's purported 10-match stint, it has had very little effect, if any, on our home attendances so far. The publicity surrounding him has dropped off markedly.

I'd probably disagree there a little. I think it's more of a snowball effect that we are friggen shit because of an incompetent manager. Our memberships is proof that Cahill has brought many. And to me, these Friday night games are the biggest pain in the back side let alone a Thursday night game.

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm expecting a thin crowd and another poor performance tonight. Not sure of the result, as we know with our team anything can happen but I doubt that I'll be leaving the ground inspired

For what it's worth, when I bought my tickets on Monday, there were only a handful of seats available on the wings.

Maybe our members have nothing better to do on a Thursday night and we get 18,000...

1 minute ago, Blackout said:

For what it's worth, when I bought my tickets on Monday, there were only a handful of seats available on the wings.

Maybe our members have nothing better to do on a Thursday night and we get 18,000...

Don't worry. Majority of those unavailable seats will become available come kick off. Predicting 7k+.