Melbourne Football

Round 6: Melbourne v Newcastle Jets....AAMI Park Thursday @ 7.50pm

n i k o

I'm happy we bank 3 points even though we didn't play particularly well.
Still means there are key parts of our game, namely breaking down compact blocks of opposition, that we will have to continue working on.
Thought our first 25-30 minutes sent a message and was a good response from last weeks half arsed effort. 
Bank the 3 points, move on. 12 out of possible 18. 2nd on the ladder ATM.
Just keep finding ways to win!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ecguymer said:

overheard a couple of the cops near me discussing the match at one point, they didn't seem overly impressed and thought Bouzanis is shit....

When cops who are only there because we are paying them know more than most of our fans

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 6

- Bouzanis has no idea in goal but distribution is fantastic. But seriously can't keep playing him due to that.

- Cahill looked like he was the bogey man pulling guys out of spaces to let Fornaroli work. Confirmed on after match interview.

- A lot of forward passes through the middle to Fornaroli and Cahill's feet tonight. I liked that. 

- Fuck me how good is it to have Franjic back ...... instant step up. Has to confidence to attack but has the skills to as well, but also does defending duties.

- Newcastle should have won 3-2. Nordstrom wtf, Nabbout should have cut inside and put it around Bouzanis - Fornaroli or Brandan would have put that away. We were lucky it was 2-1. 

- Caceres had a stinker. Touch was off, indecisive, and corners and free kicks were so shit - so floaty. Didn't whip them in quick and hard for someone to just glance their head on, floaty means the boys in the box have to use their own power to get the ball in the back of the net. 

• Like 1

Took my younger brother last night, snuck him into active and he loved it (as an active bay member, the only thing frustrating about the guest passes is having to be a bit dodgy because of the shitty allocated seating). he found the whole Cheezels chant a pisser, particularly when the bloke started the Cheezels chant similar to the "Melbourne is red white and blue" chant.

(For those of you who missed it, the chant went:

Cheezels Capo: Cheezels

Crowd: Cheezels

Cheezels Capo: Come on you tasty snacks

Crowd:Come on you tasty snacks

Cheezels Capo: Melbourne's ... favourite ring

Crowd: Melbourne's ... favourite ring

Pretty silly but fucking funny)

Back to the game, good first half with a few small frights.

Second half was dull, but then if that's what it takes to grind out results against defensive teams the will take the result with some satisfaction.

Old Heart days it would have been a loss (instead of possibly with some of those Jets misses)

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

What was up with Caceras? Is the JVS effect getting to him the most? He appears to have had a lot of doubt over what he's going to do with the ball tonight. 

That's how Caceres looks to me most of the time to be honest.

Takes too long on the ball and is indecisive

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Took my younger brother last night, snuck him into active and he loved it (as an active bay member, the only thing frustrating about the guest passes is having to be a bit dodgy because of the shitty allocated seating). he found the whole Cheezels chant a pisser, particularly when the bloke started the Cheezels chant similar to the "Melbourne is red white and blue" chant.

Back to the game, good first half with a few small frights.

Second half was dull, but then if that's what it takes to grind out results against defensive teams the will take the result with some satisfaction.

Old Heart days it would have been a loss (instead of possibly with some of those Jets misses)

yep that was hilarious ahahaha

Just now, GreenSeater said:

What was with everyone in the terrace wooing really loudly in the second half? I only moved into active after half-time so it was really confusing

My voice was pretty fucked so at one stage I screamed into the mega and my voice broke a bit... Couldn't contain my laughter though I'll admit that was a fucking pisser and my highlight from the night.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Is the bloke that started this on the forum? The "Cheezels on Fire" chant is brilliant too.

19 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Gave an interesting interview post game on foxsports, basically said he was trying to draw opposition players away and make space for others. Was surprisingly happy to talk about what he was doing compared to the usual more noncommittal interviews players give. Said he was about 80% fit for the Brisbane game but is still not quite right. Also said the team needed to step up and kill the game off in the second half, so at least someone's acknowledging it.

As good as that is, with the money hes being paid and with ability he has he is being wasted as a decoy. I understand him trying to create space for others, but ffs you're timmy freaking cahill! Australias greatest socceroo! We could play retre as a decoy for a fraction of the price, we're not going to win the league if arguable our best player on our list is "creating space" for others. The cynic in me says this is just an excuse for his poor performances so far, has he just been creating space for others the whole season then?

I feel as if this was any other player he'd be getting more questions asked about why he isn't dong a lot in our games, but because he's timmy cahill, he gets a pass. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

As good as that is, with the money hes being paid and with ability he has he is being wasted as a decoy. I understand him trying to create space for others, but ffs you're timmy freaking cahill! Australias greatest socceroo! We could play retre as a decoy for a fraction of the price, we're not going to win the league if arguable our best player on our list is "creating space" for others. The cynic in me says this is just an excuse for his poor performances so far, has he just been creating space for others the whole season then?

I feel as if this was any other player he'd be getting more questions asked about why he isn't dong a lot in our games, but because he's timmy cahill, he gets a pass. 

Valid point.

Apparently he has started pretty slow in China and the US before he dominated, time will tell I suppose.

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

This. Its like having a gold plated traffic cone

#JVSThings

Edited by KSK_47

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:As good as that is, with the money hes being paid and with ability he has he is being wasted as a decoy. I understand him trying to create space for others, but ffs you're timmy freaking cahill! Australias greatest socceroo! We could play retre as a decoy for a fraction of the price, we're not going to win the league if arguable our best player on our list is "creating space" for others. The cynic in me says this is just an excuse for his poor performances so far, has he just been creating space for others the whole season then?

Yeah, I know what you mean. He said he was still learning the teams and players in the league and would score more later in the season, so he's on record: hope he delivers.

Seperate note, cheezels chant was the most enjoyable part of the second half. (Not in active but I sit at that end.)

• Like 1

Happy with the win, but overall we were pretty shit. 15 good minutes when Brandan was beating people out wide and Fornaroli was on fire but other than that we struggled for any invention. Could have been 3-2 down after an hour. My observations:

• Muscat was a bit more solid at left back than Rose (not saying much) but gave us nothing going forward;
  • Bouzanis did nothing wrong and his distribution was good again after his "11 from 12" long clearances last week that missed the mark. Won't waste too much more time on it but Sorensen should be playing. When Bouzanis really fucks up (and he will...) Sorensen won't have played for a number of weeks so we will be fucked both ways.
  • Was good to see Franjic's contribution going forward but his man got behind him so often I lost count.
  • Caceres would be much better if, when he beat a player and got into space with the ball, he just accelerated forward. He seems to immediately turn back and allow his opponent to get behind the ball and/or tackle him again.
  • I prefer the look of 4 at the back and Malik and Jakobsen could be a very good CB combination. But both of them need to play it simple ALL THE TIME! When they think they are Pirlo and start over-elaborating or trying to knock long passes we are fucked. Why can't Centre Backs just be Centre Backs?! Kisnorbo retires and passes on the virus to the next generation. FFS just win the ball (which Malik and Jak are very good at) and give it to Kilkenny: job done!   
  • Cahill was okay but pretty anonymous. The most expensive wooden decoy duck on the pond. Mind you I don't think 4-3-3 suits him. 4-4-2 with him and Fornaroli up front would be better, but of course then we couldn't play a "pressing" game and cough up shit goals regularly.... 
  • Newcastle are shit but they still could/should have scored 4 against us. 
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2016 at 11:17 PM, dr lime said:

Happy with the win, but overall we were pretty shit. 15 good minutes when Brandan was beating people out wide and Fornaroli was on fire but other than that we struggled for any invention. Could have been 3-2 down after an hour. My observations:

• Muscat was a bit more solid at left back than Rose (not saying much) but gave us nothing going forward; Rose has cost us goals against Glory (first and third) and was far too central IMO when Holminho slotted past him to find Broich for Roar's first goal.
  • Bouzanis did nothing wrong and his distribution was good again after his "11 from 12" long clearances last week that missed the mark. Won't waste too much more time on it but Sorensen should be playing. When Bouzanis really fucks up (and he will...) Sorensen won't have played for a number of weeks so we will be fucked both ways. Sorenson's lack of match time is not good agree.
  • Was good to see Franjic's contribution going forward but his man got behind him so often I lost count.
  • Caceres would be much better if, when he beat a player and got into space with the ball, he just accelerated forward. He seems to immediately turn back and allow his opponent to get behind the ball and/or tackle him again. He should be forced to watch videos of Mooy's incisive passing as an example of how to be proactive. So far Caceres does 'nice ' things but lacks enough killer passes. He needs to step up. Colazo will do the business for us.
  • I prefer the look of 4 at the back and Malik and Jakobsen could be a very good CB combination. But both of them need to play it simple ALL THE TIME! When they think they are Pirlo and start over-elaborating or trying to knock long passes we are fucked. Why can't Centre Backs just be Centre Backs?! Kisnorbo retires and passes on the virus to the next generation. FFS just win the ball (which Malik and Jak are very good at) and give it to Kilkenny: job done!
  • Cahill was okay but pretty anonymous. The most expensive wooden decoy duck on the pond. Mind you I don't think 4-3-3 suits him. 4-4-2 with him and Fornaroli up front would be better, but of course then we couldn't play a "pressing" game and cough up shit goals regularly....  We haven't delivered quality crosses to him. Our woeful attempts at corners and deadballs must be the most shit in the HAL.  But yes, Timmy has been anonymous mostly accept for that goal against the Tards :up:
  • Newcastle are shit but they still could/should have scored 4 against us. We were lucky to escape with a win. Could easily have been a draw of fcuking worse.

3 points from that game but a lot of work to be done yet.