Melbourne Football

Round 6: Melbourne v Newcastle Jets....AAMI Park Thursday @ 7.50pm

n i k o

59 minutes ago, neio said:

We will win,  but what a terrible time to be playing, why is it so late,  if your going to play Thursday night make it a 7pm kickoff 

Disagree. Then people like myself who don't work in the city would not be able to attend if played at 7pm.

In reference to the game, I'll be there, but not looking forward to watching JVS' tactics.

• Like 1

IMO people all got carried away with our performances against Victory, first in the Derby and then in the Cup; we nearly always manage to lift for those matches. Apart from those two matches we have not really been very impressive. 1-0 in Wellington, a scratchy 2-1 at home to Adelaide, and defeats by Perth and Brisbane. I'm expecting Newcastle to employ exactly the same tactics against us as did Perth and Brisbane - choke up our attacks and then try to score on the counter.

Other than David Villa's first home match for us, our highest attendance vs. Newcastle has been 7,209 (Friday night 30th October 2015) so on a Thursday evening I would not expect us to exceed that, particularly with our erratic form.

• Like 1

O.K. I'll go though the WDL statistics and this time keep the records. It'll take me a little while.

In the meantime...for Newcastle, we've played them in 18 regular league matches. Won 7, Drawn 2, Lost 9.

For Brisbane, we've played them 19 times for an 8:3:8 record.

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'll feel better about this game of Colazo is playing, otherwise it has 0-0 written all over it as Jets, who have a smart coach,  will park the bus

Newcastle's coach is huge, hope he cracks the shits at JVS and knocks some sense into the Tan one

This is one of those games where I think our individual talent wins out and we smash them irrespective of who our coach is.  Could be a bit dodgy if we conceed first but we should be ok here.

seriouely they even made merrick look good lol

Edited by Geo400

6 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

This is one of those games where I think our individual talent wins out and we smash them irrespective of who our coach is.  Could be a bit dodgy if we conceed first but we should be ok here.

seriouely they even made merrick look good lol

Same. Dont think we will be tested at all. Newcastle are terrible

On 05/11/2016 at 10:57 AM, jw1739 said:

IMO people all got carried away with our performances against Victory, first in the Derby and then in the Cup;

Yep I'm guilty of that. I was sick of being so negative for so long. And winning the first two games of the season AND making the FFA final is unprecedented for this club. The problem is that the team has such a poor history that it's easily to improve certain aspects each season but still be shit when it really matters.

30 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Yep I'm guilty of that. I was sick of being so negative for so long. And winning the first two games of the season AND making the FFA final is unprecedented for this club. The problem is that the team has such a poor history that it's easily to improve certain aspects each season but still be shit when it really matters.

Problem for me now is that we are not so blatantly shit and possible to be great. Trying to remain positive but after Friday night the dawning of another season of up and down is becoming real. 

Pretty confident we'll shit this one in. Too much quality.

IMO the key for us in all games is scoring first as it either opens the other team up or enables us to be boring and pass around the back until they come out. Teams can't play their counter attack game so well when theyre chasing the game as the tactic of allowing us all the possession becomes ineffective if we have no need to score.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pretty confident we'll shit this one in. Too much quality.

IMO the key for us in all games is scoring first as it either opens the other team up or enables us to be boring and pass around the back until they come out. Teams can't play their counter attack game so well when theyre chasing the game as the tactic of allowing us all the possession becomes ineffective if we have no need to score.

true BT, but if we don't score early against the parked bus, we are liable to be hit on the counter attack

as shown by Bambi, who improved on Kenny Lowe's tactic.

the FFA cup final will be a real test , grumpy Graham will love playing 4 4 2  with no space between midfield and defensive lines, and unless JVS sorts something out soon on how to break through these defensive tactics we are fucked, not just for this match but the season.

6 minutes ago, japiedog said:

true BT, but if we don't score early against the parked bus, we are liable to be hit on the counter attack

as shown by Bambi, who improved on Kenny Lowe's tactic.

the FFA cup final will be a real test , grumpy Graham will love playing 4 4 2  with no space between midfield and defensive lines, and unless JVS sorts something out soon on how to break through these defensive tactics we are fucked, not just for this match but the season.

Yep. Look I'd say our current tactics probably employee a 50-50 likelihood of scoring v conceding when scores are level, but if we score first we'll be very difficult to beat. 50-50 is probably odds you'd take as an opposition manager given the amount of quality our side has.

I fully expect the 'front-runner' label to be put on our side in the media at some point throughout the season, although more as a result of our tactics than our effort per se.

• Like 2

The 50:50 odds are about right, the problem is that we have no Plan B either as a proactive game plan or in response to conceding first. Plan A is likely to win us less than half the games though as many other competent teams will just park the bus after equalising especially if they are playing away

Edited by belaguttman

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The 50:50 odds are about right, the problem is that we have no Plan B either as a proactive game plan or in response to conceding first. Plan A is likely to win us less than half the games though as many other competent teams will just park the bus after equalising especially if they are playing away

Hmm not necessarily sure about the other team part. The other team still has to score first. I 100% agree its the tactic to take against us, but we still have the fire power to get goals with parked defences. 

Even on Friday we had sooooo many set pieces. Most sides wont concede that many set pieces and not concede, regardless of our efficient the team they are fouling is when it comes to free kicks/corners. In many ways you could argue that Brisbane were quite lucky we did have an absolute shocker as far as set pieces go.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm not necessarily sure about the other team part. The other team still has to score first. I 100% agree its the tactic to take against us, but we still have the fire power to get goals with parked defences. 

Even on Friday we had sooooo many set pieces. Most sides wont concede that many set pieces and not concede, regardless of our efficient the team they are fouling is when it comes to free kicks/corners. In many ways you could argue that Brisbane were quite lucky we did have an absolute shocker as far as set pieces go.

Our set-pieces are tepid at best, and woeful would be a better description. I wish I had the stats on how many free-kicks have actually been backwards. Even in injury time we do it.
I know we shouldn't be negative on here, but FMD the accumulation of rubbish we've put up with over the seasons is unbelievable. Just basics really.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No question we have the firepower but when you see our positioning and tracking when defending set pieces and corners and our ineffectiveness at delivering corners, especially to Cahill it becomes academic - we don't have the coaching plan and structure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

we don't have the coaching plan and structure.

Don't think you'll get too many arguments on this forum.

I guess what I'm saying is if you keep putting the ball on the spot, odds are you'll eventually score. Tactical ability and prowess around free kicks and corners further increases that probability. Generally I think we lack the second more so than the first.

I dont think we have bad deliverers of the ball in regards to Brattan, Caceres etc, but they all had a shocking night on Friday and rendered our set pieces even more useless.

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I don't know who's idea it is to deliver corner after corner to the near post and have it not clear the first defender. Hang on, I do know...:wub:

Maybe, but why don't the players take some responsibility and change things up once they're on the field? Same with free-kicks.

While on the topic of free kicks and corners, I just don't understand how professional footballers can't hit the top of the 6 yard box in the air at head height to keep the ball alive at least, as you will have a equal probability for a shot on target and an opposition clearance. 50/50 is better than nothing, and definitely better than the rubbish we produce. Very frustrating. 

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

Even last season with Mooy taking corners most were ineffective. On that point Novillo hit some decent ones. They were not whipped in they were more dipping bombs at pace. I don't think we scored from any of them but at least they looked more dangerous. 

We need a scottish corner coach. From all my time in soccer they tend to be the best from corners (but not much else without being disrespectful).

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Even last season with Mooy taking corners most were ineffective. On that point Novillo hit some decent ones. They were not whipped in they were more dipping bombs at pace. I don't think we scored from any of them but at least they looked more dangerous. 

We need a scottish corner coach. From all my time in soccer they tend to be the best from corners (but not much else without being disrespectful).

hey, I'm Scottish, but I don't think I can help !( and you are not being disrespectful)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Ha ha, I had a Scottish coach at high school and you just reminded me of his whiteboard pictures. His corner setup went something like this:

IMG_20161107_150650.jpg

Very basic, but hey, it worked ok.

Which way were you taking the corner !

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Ha ha, I had a Scottish coach at high school and you just reminded me of his whiteboard pictures. His corner setup went something like this:

IMG_20161107_150650.jpg

Very basic, but hey, it worked ok.

Which way were you taking the corner !