Melbourne Football

Rnd 5 Vs Roar @ Suncorp. Friday 7.50pm

neio

I don't understand why we ever need to risk just three at the back. Our midfield and forward players are more than adequate - FMD we've got three players straight out of the Argentinian/Uruguayan Primeras, plus Kamau, Fitzgerald and Cahill, and in midfield two players on loan from Manchester City plus one straight out of the Championship, plus Arzani.

Defence was the problem last season - everyone could see that - and it's still the problem. We're always caught on the quick counter because our defenders are always too far up the field. Never enough bodies in the way of the route to goal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't understand why we ever need to risk just three at the back. Our midfield and forward players are more than adequate - FMD we've got three players straight out of the Argentinian/Uruguayan Primeras, plus Kamau, Fitzgerald and Cahill, and in midfield two players on loan from Manchester City plus one straight out of the Championship, plus Arzani.

Defence was the problem last season - everyone could see that - and it's still the problem. We're always caught on the quick counter because our defenders are always too far up the field. Never enough bodies in the way of the route to goal.

Probably because we've looked more likely to concede with 4 at the back than with 3 a lot of the time. Admittedly none of those four at the back scenarios included Jakobsen, so that's yet to be proven with him but certainly the Malik/Chapman combo looked much worse than our current back three do when we used it in the FFA Cup games.

I also think the three at the back setup was brought in to accommodate Colazo into the 11, we just have persisted with it despite him not playing since.

Edited by bt50

44 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I also think the three at the back setup was brought in to accommodate Colazo into the 11, we just have persisted with it despite him not playing since.

Agree totalling. 

Very reminiscent of the planned Duff Kennedy combination that in theory would have been dangerous. 

But we know how that panned out.

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Kind of agree with BT in that I like the way we play and just need to tweak it when we come up against teams of quality that will sit back.

tbh I wouldn't be surprised to find out that JVS is manager in name only this season given that he is leaving anyway. What I mean is that our success or failure this season I don't think will be because of JVS

We are only as good as the weakest link. That will vary from game to game as it's the opposition's job to discover and exploit it. The problem is that more often than not that weakest link is JVS

• Like 2

I agree but what i was getting at was the assumption that it might be a ruling from CFG to play three at the back, three at the back works if you have very good wing backs and unfortunately we do NOT. Man City play three at the back SOMETIMES but our so called coach is adamant that this is what we must do ALL the time.

9 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

I agree but what i was getting at was the assumption that it might be a ruling from CFG to play three at the back, three at the back works if you have very good wing backs and unfortunately we do NOT. Man City play three at the back SOMETIMES but our so called coach is adamant that this is what we must do ALL the time.

We don't play three at the back all of the time. As soon as we lose possession Kilkenny drops back into the three

Just now, Dylan said:

We don't play three at the back all of the time. As soon as we lose possession Kilkenny drops back into the three

Most of the time what happens is that at least one of the backs is  too far up the field to assist so we are left wide open as the three at the back requires the two fullbacks  to go further up field when we are attacking

19 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We are only as good as the weakest link. That will vary from game to game as it's the opposition's job to discover and exploit it. The problem is that more often than not that weakest link is JVS

This is a perfect summation of the problems of Heart/City since day dot. That's why I've always been bored with arguments about how shit players are- even the hate fest that was Misfud bored me because I saw JA as a bigger problem.

• Like 1