Melbourne Football

PLEASE can CFG buy a hawk, falcon, or eagle...

CityWildcat

I don't know who is responsible, but I'm guessing it is the owners of AAMI Park rather than City. But whoever it is needs to do a hell of a lot more. Friday's match was spoiled by the gulls.

The highlights video of the Victory match shows very few gulls at all. Maybe they do something different, maybe it's the size of the crowd?

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know who is responsible, but I'm guessing it is the owners of AAMI Park rather than City. But whoever it is needs to do a hell of a lot more. Friday's match was spoiled by the gulls.

The highlights video of the Victory match shows very few gulls at all. Maybe they do something different, maybe it's the size of the crowd?

definitely the size of the crowd and active at both ends to keep it consistently noisy and not let the birds settle helps

Hard to believe that these bloody gulls are a protected species. As are the possums that try to destroy my garden every year.

I think we should use real live raptors at half-time. Would be better than the same old "entertainment" that we're now enduring for the 9th season...

• Like 1

It's a good success/fauilure barometer. The more seagulls at games the lower the crowd the shitter we are. Less gulls signifies success. 

10< Gulls: Championship winning team

10-50 Gulls: Contender

50-100 Gulls: Average Performers, maybe top 6

100-200 Gulls: Outside top 6

200> Gulls: Fucking shit bottom of the table 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's the smell. 

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We should go with the flow and use a seagull as our mascot

And our nickname can be 'The Seagulls'. It's a name with form and heritage... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Seriously, there's no excuse for what we saw in the Wellington match. According to reports, both the MCG and the Tennis Centre have successfully controlled their seagull nuisance. For example: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/oorik-the-eagle-holds-court-at-the-australian-open-20160122-gmc678.html

I wouldnt be surprised if it is AAMI Park's responsibility to get rid of the seagulls. Im sure we have enquired about it, but I doubt the club will want to fork out their own money for something someone else should be in charge of.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, Torn Asunder said:

CFG need to aquire this technology ... would be another good investment opportunity to write off against!

or this ...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a19031/bird-x-bird-repelling-drone-patrol-farm/

Absolutely brilliant idea, i watched the video and if the powers that be really want to get rid of the gulls then this is a perfect way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can we just transfer Joyce to the seagull department? The man is great at getting rid of players, so the seagulls wouldn't stand a chance! It will be even better halftime entertainment watching him chase after seagulls trying to measure their skinfolds.

• Haha 3

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, citypool said:

Bloody hell it makes us look all look stupid with these bloody pests gathering around doubt the players like them either 

As I reported earlier, the main problem was a group of children - I think some of those who had a kick-around at HT, possibly from a school or other institution - for whom the supervising adults (I use the term loosely) allowed them to feed the bloody gulls from behind the fence at the southern end.  Bouzanis gave the kids a shout at one stage but they weren't stopped

Absolutely stupid and annoying, and I can't understand why a club official, FFA official, AAMI official, whoever, didn't put a stop to it. We looked totally amateurish last night in this regard. 

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

As I reported earlier, the main problem was a group of children - I think some of those who had a kick-around at HT, possibly from a school or other institution - for whom the supervising adults (I use the term loosely) allowed them to feed the bloody gulls from behind the fence at the southern end.  Bouzanis gave the kids a shout at one stage but they weren't stopped

Absolutely stupid and annoying, and I can't understand why a club official, FFA official, AAMI official, whoever, didn't put a stop to it. We looked totally amateurish last night in this regard. 

Yeah I agree with you 100% I’m thinking of complaining to aami Park it’s gone on for ages and a bit over it tbh

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Simples. Shoot the gulls. Shoot the people feeding the gulls. Problem addressed. Additional entertainment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@johnno cpfcCertainly experienced by Queen of the South at their ground in Dumfries, Scotland. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49002546

It's been a problem at the MCG. Oakleigh Cannons footy club have the problem too.

They're just a bloody pest, but it seems they are a protected in many jurisdictions. Apparently the UK seagulls started to become an urban pest in the 1940s. There are quite a few articles on the subject.

I was very disappointed on Wednesday by the lack of action to stop the children who were throwing food onto the pitch at the southern end. Surely there were administrative staff from the club at the match who could have taken action?