Melbourne Football

THE FINAL! Wednesday 30 November 7:30pm

Dylan

40 minutes ago, Jestr said:

3 home games in 6 days

so much goodness 

Fatigue setting in. ☺.

Going from zero for 5 months to a game every few days can't get any better than this.

As the years pass and the League develops and hopefully ACL involvement this will what soccer in Melbourne will look like. Can't wait. 

10 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Lol at everyone sooking cos we're hosting the final. Even non-Sydney fans...

Such a massive opportunity for this club, especially if we have a good month from here. If we continue to build momentum and are in the top two going into the final, we should be aiming for 15,000-20,000 supporters. In a non-derby, mid-week, with no David Villa-esque sideshows. Could be a big turning point in the history of this club.

12 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Such a massive opportunity for this club, especially if we have a good month from here. If we continue to build momentum and are in the top two going into the final, we should be aiming for 15,000-20,000 supporters. In a non-derby, mid-week, with no David Villa-esque sideshows. Could be a big turning point in the history of this club.

How many opportunities have we had similar to this? Every time we finally give people a reason to get connected and involved we inadvertently cock it up.

I'm with you I reackon this could be another chance to bury our mediocrity and be a turning point.

Here's hoping. 

• Like 1

Regarding the attendance numbers I wouldn't get carried away with any figures. Last night we got 15k in a derby match with great weather on a week night. If we can get anywhere between 12-15k that it would be beyond amazing. Im gonna be optimistic and predict 9-11k with fantastic weather and a good run into the game. 

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

I've seen snippets of comments that Gallop would make the decision on where it's played so my guess it was decided by FFA. That's why so many people are sour. 

Also because the majority of the football media is based in NSW so they are having a whinge. 

Like I said earlier in the week, it was always going to be here if we won and in Sydney if Victory won.

EDIT : Ian Robson just said they were told at 5pm yesterday the Final would be in Melb regardless of who won last night, after all 4 semi final clubs were invited to put in a submission a month ago as to why they should host the Final.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Regarding the attendance numbers I wouldn't get carried away with any figures. Last night we got 15k in a derby match with great weather on a week night. If we can get anywhere between 12-15k that it would be beyond amazing. Im gonna be optimistic and predict 9-11k with fantastic weather and a good run into the game. 

Yeah, it's a bit of an unknown, I suppose. We've never been in a position like this before.

I guess where I'm coming from is: why wouldn't you go if you cared enough to be a member? I think the potential to be there for a history making occasion largely cancels out the 'can't be bothered' factor, unless you are physically unable to make it, I don't see why you wouldn't go. Having said that, the club is missing a trick if it doesn't offer largely reduced tickets to members (including members who sign on in the next month), unless it is not allowed to do that.

Of the City members that I know personally (admittedly not heaps), every one of them has already said they're going. And on average, I'd say we'll also bring between 1-2 others that are nominally City fans, but have rarely/never been to a game (I'm hoping to bring at least one, if not both, of my brothers and extend the invitation to a few friends as well). I think there's so many nominal City fans that just never go to a game. As an example, I know six Melbourne City members, besides me (one who rarely goes), yet I have nearly 30 Facebook friends that 'like' Melbourne City (not including Victory supporters). The extra people that I'm expecting/hoping to turn up come from that group: the ones that would say 'Heart'/'City' if they were asked which A-League team they barrack for, but that would never have really supported the club in any tangible way.

Edited by SF33

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yeah, it's a bit of an unknown, I suppose. We've never been in a position like this before.

I guess where I'm coming from is: why wouldn't you go if you cared enough to be a member? I think the potential to be there for a history making occasion largely cancels out the 'can't be bothered' factor, unless you are physically unable to make it, I don't see why you wouldn't go. Having said that, the club is missing a trick if it doesn't offer largely reduced tickets to members (including members who sign on in the next month), unless it is not allowed to do that.

Of the City members that I know personally (admittedly not heaps), every one of them has already said they're going. And on average, I'd say we'll also bring between 1-2 others that are nominally City fans, but have rarely/never been to a game (I'm hoping to bring at least one, if not both, of my brothers and extend the invitation to a few friends as well). I think there's so many nominal City fans that just never go to a game. As an example, I know six Melbourne City members, besides me (one who rarely goes), yet I have nearly 30 Facebook friends that 'like' Melbourne City (not including Victory supporters). The extra people that I'm expecting/hoping to turn up come from that group: the ones that would say 'Heart'/'City' if they were asked which A-League team they barrack for, but that would never have really supported the club in any tangible way.

Just with the ticketing prices FFA controls that. In saying that surely they've learnt from last year and know our situation and how hard its been to get people to games. If tehy can keep it the same as last nights game that'd be good. 

Just now, n i k o said:

Just with the ticketing prices FFA controls that. In saying that surely they've learnt from last year and know our situation and how hard its been to get people to games. If tehy can keep it the same as last nights game that'd be good. 

Thought that might be the case. A bit silly, in my opinion (like the exorbitant prices to watch the Wallabies when they're playing at Etihad, resulting in crowds of 25-30k), but nothing the club can do, I guess.

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I've seen snippets of comments that Gallop would make the decision on where it's played so my guess it was decided by FFA. That's why so many people are sour. 

I can understand why people are pissed off. Should be drawn out of a hat IMO.

If another club were allowed an extra marquee player that was paid for by the FFA then were given a home cup final based on a decision made by the FFA I wouldnt be very impressed either

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Pricing was announced last night - I think it was A - $70, B - $40, C - $25 with a 10% members discount 

26 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I can understand why people are pissed off. Should be drawn out of a hat IMO.

If another club were allowed an extra marquee player that was paid for by the FFA then were given a home cup final based on a decision made by the FFA I wouldnt be very impressed either

Absolutely re the drawing out of a hat. Think Sydney are being a bit petulant to suggest they deserve it more than us, but it should have been drawn to chance.

As for the guest spot, people can sook as much as they want but its avaialble to all clubs providing they meet certain criteria. If the other clubs dont want to pay for it, thats their problem not ours.
FFA are chipping in 500k to a 4m deal, which you could well and truly argue is solely for all the interviews he's had to do. Not to mention that the exposure he's brought after his signing and that goal is worth far more in advertising $$$ than they ever could have done with 500k on ads. It's a rebate, they certainly arent paying for him.

30 minutes ago, hyperfuzz said:

Pricing was announced last night - I think it was A - $70, B - $40, C - $25 with a 10% members discount 

That's outrageous, without even considering the exorbitant processing fees. So much for 20,000. Probably won't even bother to open the second tier now.

I wish someone would explain the basic concepts of economics with these ticketing agencies. If the tickets were half the price they'd get more than twice as many through the gate.

37 minutes ago, hyperfuzz said:

It's actually cheaper than a regular league game for category B and C, and about 4 dollars more expensive for cat A. This is before members discount as well.

I don't see how that is outrageous, it's actually quite good. 

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 3

Don't know whether you can make any prediction at all. TBH, the attendance for the semi-final was a bit of a disappointment. Between us Victory and City have close to 36,000 members, yet the SF with really pretty cheap tickets drew 15,791 - rounding it off and assuming no-one other than members was there (which wouldn't be true) that's a 44% turn-out. All sorts of reasons for this can be advanced, but let's just stick to the facts.

The details of the ticketing for the Final are below. Might seem churlish to say so, but I don't really see the need to rush the member pre-sale as set out - hardly time for people to organise groups of friends/family. As for the prices - I'd say I'll be going Category C.

On Sale Dates

Melbourne City FC and Sydney FC Member Pre Sale (10% discount) – 12pm Friday 28 October until 8.59am Wednesday 2 November
Football Family Member Pre Sale (10% discount) – 12pm Wednesday 2 November until 8.59am Thursday 3 November
General Public On Sale – 9am Thursday 3 November

Ticket Prices

Category A - $70 Adult, $50 Concession, $30 Child, $140 Family
Category B - $45 Adult, $30 Concession, $15 Child, $90 Family
Category C (including Active Supporter Areas) - $25 Adult, $15 Concession, $5 Child, $50 Family

(transaction fees apply)

Visit www.theffacup.com.au/tickets for full details.

Edited by jw1739

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely re the drawing out of a hat. Think Sydney are being a bit petulant to suggest they deserve it more than us, but it should have been drawn to chance.

As for the guest spot, people can sook as much as they want but its avaialble to all clubs providing they meet certain criteria. If the other clubs dont want to pay for it, thats their problem not ours.
FFA are chipping in 500k to a 4m deal, which you could well and truly argue is solely for all the interviews he's had to do. Not to mention that the exposure he's brought after his signing and that goal is worth far more in advertising $$$ than they ever could have done with 500k on ads. It's a rebate, they certainly arent paying for him.

Absolutely they dont deserve it more than us. I agree that anyone who thinks that is having a whinge

As for the guest spot, it isnt avalible to all clubs because 1- there is no actual set criteria. Its just what ever the FFA feel like. And 2- a "guest" spot for an entire season is a completely new rule that has been made up specifically for this situation as far as I am aware. Obviously they are not dumb and its more about a mutually benificial agreement but the FFA putting money into the deal (any money after making up these kinds of rules to suit the situation) does certainly make it difficult to argue that we are not being given preferential treatment.

Then the decision to give us a home final on top of all that doesnt look great either

Edited by KSK_47