Melbourne Football

The forgotten round. City v Adelaide Friday 7:50pm

MHFC-FAN

7 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I just finished watching the replay.

- two goals in four days as a direct result of our high press. When will teams learn to just clear the fucking thing?

- Kamau was everywhere in the first half

- our players looked knackered towards the end, the first sub was in the 81st minute pretty poor management by JVS & co

- Bruno should've scored 5

Hopefully never.

30 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I have been following this team too long. I was expecting to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory even as the seconds were counting down. Fully understand your point.

Yes. As i was refreshing the scores constantly within the last 5 minutes of the games i thought the score changed to 2-2 for a split second. My reaction was "well that malea perfect sense"

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

No, I didn't say that. I said that seats could not be released even if they were unoccupied at kick-off. And in fact they can't be at any stage of the match - quite a few people arrive late for one reason or another.

And it is an issue because people want to buy tickets to a match in a certain location, for whatever reason but often to sit with friends, but they cannot do so because the seats are reserved for people who do not turn up. And it is an issue because we're trying to build support for the club, which at the moment for a city the size of Melbourne is piss-poor, and anything that dissuades people from attending is an issue.

Absolute garbage.

The reason why our crowds are low is because people don't identify with the club or the code.

Nothing to do with where they sit.

If reserve seat members ( which are the people to commit to the club, at least in a financial sense) weren't guaranteed their seats then membership would drop and there would be less people at the game.

As a reserve seat member you have a right to go to the game when ever you want because you have paid for your seat in advance, so to allow someone to just take your seat because your are 10mins late is farcical.

If people want to sit together they organise seating arrangements prior like all non member attendees do, it's not hard.

If there was to be a 'seat trade' type arrangement for people that are overseas or for long term absence, that's fine, but I guarantee it won't make any difference to crowd numbers at this point in time. Maybe it will when our crowds are 30 000 and seating is at a premium but the upper decks are great viewing so even then I doubt it.

• Like 1

Any crowd under 11k I'm putting down as a dissapointment, irrespective of member no shows we should still be reaching our season tickets figure via casual turn ups, no more excuses we have more attention and media coverage in the last 2 months compared to the previous 6 years combined. I expected a big surge on Friday night with decent weather and the reigning champions coming to town instead we barely managed 2k more than the Perth game....Any dissapointment from that defeat should have been washed away from the tards cup win.

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Absolute garbage.

The reason why our crowds are low is because people don't identify with the club or the code.

If reserve seat members ( which are the people to commit to the club, at least in a financial sense) weren't guaranteed their seats then membership would drop and there would be less people at the game.

As a reserve seat member you have a right to go to the game when ever you want because you have paid for your seat in advance, so to allow someone to just take your seat because your are 10mins late is farcical.

If people want to sit together they organise seating arrangements prior like all non member attendees do, it's not hard.

If there was to be a 'seat trade' type arrangement for people that are overseas or for long term absence, that's fine, but I guarantee it won't make any difference to crowd numbers at this point in time. Maybe it will when our crowds are 30 000 and seating is at a premium but the upper decks are great viewing so even then I doubt it.

Out of likes but this is spot on. 

I think that it will take years of sustained success for the tarnished Heart/City brand to be repaired. Even us 'rusted ons'still expect the team to crumble and to lose unlosable games, no wonder we struggle to attract enough casuals to our games 

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Absolute garbage.

Agree with this. It's also a catch 22 situation as well regarding attendances in that to get more people to come to games we need more people at games. People are attracted to the big thing in town and will jump on board. This then affects atmosphere and other things. 

I think the sheer amount of visible green seats hurts the clubs image, it's something we are often mocked about but the venue is about 10-12k too big for us, something like parramatta stadium is more in our range, even when the Wanderers were crap and crowds dropped to around 11k it still looked good on tv for them,  Sydney fc for the most part match them but because they play at a 40k capacity stadium they get ridiculed as well because you get huge patches of empty seats everywhere, perception is half the battle.

when we say we need sustained success, only regular silverware will take care of the past 6 years of dissapointment, crowds will swell if we bring home the trophies, if that doesn't work well CFG will need to bring down a mega star, that would actually do it quicker lol.

Well there are a number of factors that will impinge on the attendances. One of course is that the A-League is a summer competition when most families go away on school holidays, pampered uni students go overseas on spiritual journeys, etc. Then there are the demographics - On a couple of occasions I have sat next to some well to do people who just didn't make it to the holiday house in Portsea that weekend. I wonder whether we are attracting the better off.

For me the stats that matter are growth of total end of season attendance excluding derbies; viewer numbers; and overall growth of A-League attendance. Week to week numbers are subject to much speculation and reasoning. An example this weekend is the Melbourne Cup and people may be saving their monies/energies for that rather than come to the game.

43 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Well there are a number of factors that will impinge on the attendances. One of course is that the A-League is a summer competition when most families go away on school holidays, pampered uni students go overseas on spiritual journeys, etc. Then there are the demographics - On a couple of occasions I have sat next to some well to do people who just didn't make it to the holiday house in Portsea that weekend. I wonder whether we are attracting the better off.

For me the stats that matter are growth of total end of season attendance excluding derbies; viewer numbers; and overall growth of A-League attendance. Week to week numbers are subject to much speculation and reasoning. An example this weekend is the Melbourne Cup and people may be saving their monies/energies for that rather than come to the game.

There are 4.5 million people in Melbourne, 183,000 likes on the MCFC website, have Timmy Cahill and play sexy soccer (most times) so no excuse why we can't at least attract the members and few casuals to come each week meaning anything less than 11k each game is a disappointment. Or maybe it's what belagutman said, ongoing success over a number of years is required?

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

All true, yet 20,000 or so visitors supporters manage to get weekly parole and attend games in the same city

21 hours ago, n i k o said:

Maybe it's me but when it doesn't work for the fourth time in a row I'd probably look at mixing it up just to make it a little less predictable next time. 

It was really pronounced against Perth, partly, I guess, because we were never in front during the game. There was routinely no-one between Brattan and Reddy. I would have thought that occasionally, when presented with that set-up, you'd run the ball up and then chip one in to, firstly, create a bit of chaos in the box and, secondly, to force Perth to have a man or two guarding Brattan next time, which creates a bit more space in the box.

12 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I think that it will take years of sustained success for the tarnished Heart/City brand to be repaired. Even us 'rusted ons'still expect the team to crumble and to lose unlosable games, no wonder we struggle to attract enough casuals to our games 

I'm perhaps as guilty as anyone of expecting/demanding crowds of 15-20K to our home games. Considering the quality football we're playing, it would be great to get a crowd like that, but on the other hand, I wonder what we would have got for those equivalent games against Adelaide and Perth in previous seasons. In that regard, I think we're seeing clear (albeit underwhelming) growth.

Maybe it's just a case of managing expectations. If we win the FFA Cup and play a home grand final and we're still getting crowds like these next season, that's where I'd be getting concerned.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shahanga said:

i reckon Brattan's corners are pretty good.  The problem is who is waiting in the box.  As I see it we have only one decent header of the ball.  His name and reputation is hardly a mystery so he gets SO much attention from the defenders.

For mine that was a fantastic win.  Came out firing and played them off the park in the first 25, then when they worked their way into the game we dug deep to hang on for the win.  Haven't seen a lot of that over the years and i loved it.  Oh @KSK_47 it was nowhere near as nerve wracking as some games I've been too, even at the death we looked pretty solid.

I guess I want a bit each way, as I'd love to see Cahill finally win a header from a set piece, but I think it's pretty clear that we should be regularly using him as a decoy.

22 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It was really pronounced against Perth, partly, I guess, because we were never in front during the game. There was routinely no-one between Brattan and Reddy. I would have thought that occasionally, when presented with that set-up, you'd run the ball up and then chip one in to, firstly, create a bit of chaos in the box and, secondly, to force Perth to have a man or two guarding Brattan next time, which creates a bit more space in the box.

I sometimes wonder whether we take these corners so the ball is in a position where we can defend a counter better. 

I half recall seeing something from one of the AFL clubs where they had a "seat buyback" program, so that if a member with a reserved seat could "sell" said seat back to the club for matches they where not going to attend in exchange for a discount on the following years membership; the seats are then released to the public. Something like this might work (assuming that such a system could be put in place)

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

The problem is two fold. The price for wing seats is ridiculous (up to $70 for one adult) and there is no way for members who cant get to a game  to notify the club of this and then the seat is released.

Add to that...it isn't the club that manages the tickets anyway, it's Ticketek. The whole thing is set up to be as difficult as possible to have any flexibility. But the fact remains that it is intrinsically ridiculous to have 10,000 people in a 30,000-seat stadium with rows of empty seats in every seat classification and yet a walk-up or a member's guest can't get a seat in the particular section they wish to.

I wonder whether a solution at this stage is to have a limited number of matches that are "all-ticket", that is all spectators attending must sit in their allocated seat - at the moment these "all-ticket" matches would be the home derbies only, possibly a couple of others - and the rest of the time it's just "general admission" everywhere and you can sit where you can get a seat. And the price of memberships goes down (quite a lot) accordingly. This would overcome the difficulty of bringing guests, but would it benefit the club in the long run? I don't know.

I think it's simple supply/demand. With the position we're in now, I'd make the comparison to the Lakers and Clippers in Los Angeles a few years ago. They played home games in the same stadium, the Clippers were far and away the better team, but the Lakers had the history and status in LA, so their equivalent tickets were still twice as much.

I'm sure we're pretty limited with what we can do in terms of seating prices, but I think the club should definitely be aggressively marketing bring a friend days at as many games as possible. Seat buy-backs would be handy, but at this stage I can't see it making much difference (maybe an extra hundred or so, if that).

Edited by SF33
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Add to that...it isn't the club that manages the tickets anyway, it's Ticketek. The whole thing is set up to be as difficult as possible to have any flexibility. But the fact remains that it is intrinsically ridiculous to have 10,000 people in a 30,000-seat stadium with rows of empty seats in every seat classification and yet a walk-up or a member's guest can't get a seat in the particular section they wish to.

I wonder whether a solution at this stage is to have a limited number of matches that are "all-ticket", that is all spectators attending must sit in their allocated seat - at the moment these "all-ticket" matches would be the home derbies only, possibly a couple of others - and the rest of the time it's just "general admission" everywhere and you can sit where you can get a seat. And the price of memberships goes down (quite a lot) accordingly. This would overcome the difficulty of bringing guests, but would it benefit the club in the long run? I don't know.

This may or may not help another related problem I encountered on Friday, and have encountered before.  Several times we've rocked up to find a group of people already sitting in our seats, and those around, which are also, we know  held by other members.  Said people move on with bad grace, clearly expecting us to go and sit somewhere else, and displace someone else.  Yet they presumably have allocated seats elsewhere.  There is GA area if you want to rock up early and sit where you like, so why choose to come into an allocated area?  So I guess if everything was usually GA we would avoid this problem, though possibly create a host of others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

This may or may not help another related problem I encountered on Friday, and have encountered before.  Several times we've rocked up to find a group of people already sitting in our seats, and those around, which are also, we know  held by other members.  Said people move on with bad grace, clearly expecting us to go and sit somewhere else, and displace someone else.  Yet they presumably have allocated seats elsewhere.  There is GA area if you want to rock up early and sit where you like, so why choose to come into an allocated area?  So I guess if everything was usually GA we would avoid this problem, though possibly create a host of others.

IIRC you're in Premium C? I can assure you this happens in Premium A as well. I've seen it many times. I just assume that the people are illiterate and can't read their tickets.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC you're in Premium C? I can assure you this happens in Premium A as well. I've seen it many times. I just assume that the people are illiterate and can't read their tickets.

No way do premium A patrons act like the rest of those plebs? 

On 10/28/2016 at 11:14 PM, jw1739 said:

It's not really sold out, but reserved seats can't be released, even if members haven't turned up by kick-off. This is a big issue that has bugged us for a couple of seasons now. It's been raised several times with the club but either they are unwilling or unable to do anything about it. It's most obvious for home derbies - technically they are "sold out" but the ground has never once been full.

It seems to be an issue everywhere - I was reading an article that Arsenal supporters are trying to implement a system where you lose your membership if you don't turn up to x amount of games - seems people are only buying these memberships to only go to the Big 4 games and they are getting annoyed no one else can access those seats.

• Like 1