Melbourne Football

RD 3| V Perth @ AAMI Friday 21st Oct 7:50 pm

Dylan

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Jovan said:

I think I have derailed this thread. Friday night vs Perth will be I'm assuming like any other game last season although if we get most members plus alot of walk ups and we get somewhere near 14 to 15k they will open up top and it will GA just like what happened to the Villa games a few seasons back. Now will that happen it's a possibility. I reackon we will get 12 to 13k but will depend heaps on how much rain is about when school/work  finishes.

Interesting happenstance, I think, that the expected crowd for tonight might be borderline worthy of opening up the second level, but that there's also a chance that we'll get some absolutely dreadful weather. The weather might keep a couple of thousand away (meaning in terms of numbers, we might not need both levels open), but it would also be nice if the people hadn't been put off by the forecast had the option of going somewhere that is completely under cover, like, say, level 2, to get out of the rain.

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC in S1 and S2 you needed only to look at the fixture to see when Heart were at home and then you knew when it would rain. How can we forget the drenching we got when we played CCM and the match kicked off two hours late? I was soaked just getting from Richmond Station to the ground and all the trains were out after the match - my mate got home to Seaford about 2.30 in the morning.

I have a vague recollection of going to my first Heart game in season 2 and it was pouring down so they delayed the start and the impression that I was getting was that the game was going to be called off. Players were kicking the ball around after the rain stopped and it was laughable how quickly the ball pulled up, because the ground was so soaked. But within about 15-30 minutes, the drainage had done its job and they got the match started. That's literally all I remember about the game: no idea who we were playing against, who won, whether I had trouble getting home etc.

Excitement starting to build. Nothing better than knocking off work on a Friday and heading to the football! IMO this will finish 3-1 to us. Bruno will score one either side of half time, then Perth will pull one back and Brandan will score the sealer and snap a corner flag or some crazy shit like that. KEEN!

• Like 1

Just now, Cityscape said:

Still no rain in Melbourne as of 1pm, hopefully won't deter too many people when it arrives.

Plenty of it in Ballarat this morning, although the radar looked like it was taking it in the Lorne direction and Melbourne would escape the worst of it.

Met running extra trains to get fans to and from the City v Glory game on Friday 21 October, at AAMI Park.

Before the game there are extra services to Richmond from:
Mordialloc, departing 6.30pm
Dandenong, departing 6.39pm

Trains departing Richmond Station:
Frankston, departing 10.04pm platform 6
Pakenham, departing 10.05pm platform 6
Sandringham, departing 10.08pm platform 2
Ringwood, departing 9.57pm platform 9/10
Glen Waverley, departing 9.59pm platform 9/10

9 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

So what crowd are we realistically expecting given the weather

Giving that a lot of our members have a history of non attendance, particularly for friday night games i would say it will probably be a disappointing turnout. I think low 9000s is about right

Edited by KSK_47

48 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Giving that a lot of our members have a history of non attendance, particularly for friday night games i would say it will probably be a disappointing turnout. I think low 9000s is about right

Actually the Friday night thing is a bit of a fallacy. Over the years there is very little difference in the averages (excluding derbies):
Friday: 18 matches average 7,478.
Saturday: 21 matches average 7,161.
Sunday: 23 matches average 7,669.

45 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Why is crowd size always a bigger deal then the actual match ? 

IMO our preoccupation with attendances is a feeling that they are low considering the population of Melbourne. Even our home derbies (10) average only 25,607. Perth are not an attractive opponent either for some reason. The club was bitterly disappointed with the paltry 11,273 for last season's Elimination Final. 

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Met running extra trains to get fans to and from the City v Glory game on Friday 21 October, at AAMI Park.

Before the game there are extra services to Richmond from:
Mordialloc, departing 6.30pm
Dandenong, departing 6.39pm

Trains departing Richmond Station:
Frankston, departing 10.04pm platform 6
Pakenham, departing 10.05pm platform 6
Sandringham, departing 10.08pm platform 2
Ringwood, departing 9.57pm platform 9/10
Glen Waverley, departing 9.59pm platform 9/10

Makes me even more bitter about the 9:53 Hurstbridge from Jolimont (easily a 10 minute further walk than Richmond). If City's won, you can pretty much choose to ignore the players and bolt for the exits to make the train, or hang around for a few minutes and miss the train. Or go to the pub. 

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO our preoccupation with attendances is a feeling that they are low considering the population of Melbourne. Even our home derbies (10) average only 25,607. Perth are not an attractive opponent either for some reason. The club was bitterly disappointed with the paltry 11,273 for last season's Elimination Final. 

I think it's a by-product of the way the team limped into the finals, capitulating to finish fourth, when they were a chance to win the league with a couple of weeks remaining. If they'd ended the season with a big win against Adelaide, I reckon 15,000 would have been at the Elimination Final.

As for why it matters, well, when potential supporters check out the highlights of our games and they see rows and rows of empty seats in the background, it detracts from what's happening on the pitch. It makes it look like it's some bush league, or a curtain raiser. But if we keep performing the way we have been, the crowds will steadily increase.

By god I'm fucking excited!!! The Heart in me (pardon the pun) is ready to go like 10 bad ass dudes against Chuck Norris as I'm expecting we will find a way to stuff this up, but then again I'm so not use to us being 2 and 0 at this stage (particularly after two "away" games).