Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Articles

Melbourne City Preview – Round 2 @ Melbourne Victory

1 post in this topic

Melbourne Victory vs Melbourne City, Etihad Stadium, Saturday 15th of October @ 7:50pm AEST.

UBET Odds.

Melbourne City: $2.60

Melbourne Victory: $2.45

Anything worth a punt on? – Melbourne City and over 2.5 Goals at $3.85 sounds like good value to me, with these games typically producing goals and I don’t think that either defence is capable of shutting the other attack out completely.

Last time they met: A 2-2 draw at AAMI park in front of nearly 26000 showcased some of the best and worst Melbourne City has to offer, attacking pace and verve and defensive deficiencies which would have been funny, weren’t they so obvious. Bloody glad to see the back of Gui Finkler.

Last season’s results: MCY 2:2 MVC (Fornaroli x2)          13.02.2016

MCY 2:1 MVC (Mauk, Retre)               19.12.2015

MVC 3:2 MCY (Fornaroli, Mauk)       17.10.2015     

Team News.

Melbourne City: Strangely, Thomas Sorenson being out has divided people. Apart from his monumental brain fart against Adelaide in the last game of last season, I’ve always thought of him as one of our more reliable players and a vocal leader at the back, but Bouzanis acquitted himself well. Colazo played further forward than I’d expected and created more chances than any other player in the A-League and will probably be kept upfield (much to the chagrin all of those who condensed Josh Rose’ entire performance to a single piece of horrific play). The surprise omission from the starting lineup was Osama Malik but we could see him inserted back into a more traditional back four to counter the threat that Melbourne Victory’s attacking pacey line up will provide (I’d say that we’re more likely to be troubled by the raw pace of Austin then we would have been by the craft of Troisi due to our current fullback situation). Apart from Cahill coming in for Caceras if Timmy pulls up alright from national duty, I don’t think we’ll see too much shuffling of the pack.

Possible Starting 11.

Bouzanis

Chapman Jakobsen Rose

Kilkenny Brattan

Colazo

Kamou Cahill Brandan

Fornaroli.

Line up looks a bit funny, I think Colazo will be a slightly deeper play maker while Cahill will operate in both Midfield and Attack as the situation required.

Melbourne Victory: The Victory had an unlucky 1-1 draw with Brisbane Roar up north but were far from convincing in their first hit out of the A-League season. The played a very asymmetric formation which pushed Austin and Georgievski and brought Fahid Ben Khalfallah inside, this would suit our back three down to the ground as it will allow Kilkenny and Brattan to clog up the middle of the park and remove the space that FBK and Marco Rojas thrive on. Bozanic and Valeri will be a solid pair of metronomes in the middle of the park and it promises to be an interesting battle as the midfield has the potential to be seriously overrun with players depending on the formation both teams put out.

Possible Starting 11:

Thomas

Geria Donachie Baro Georgievski

Varleri Rojas Bozanis

FBK Berisha Austin

Prediction: Melbourne City 2-1 Victory. Can’t see either team not scoring given the lopsided quality both teams have in attack, in saying that Mitch Austin vs Connor Chapman will give me nightmares.

Played for both clubs: Aziz Behich. Probably mostly known to the Melbourne Victory fans as the bloke who had the inability to put a ball away from 3 yards in a grand final became probably the best long term servant that the club has ever had, over 90 odd games he tore up and down the left flank and become a handy defender in addition to a great attacking weapon for Melbourne Heart.

View the full article

Edited by Tesla