Melbourne Football

Level 3 - AAMI Park

seamolyons

As exciting as it would be, everyone from the lower levels would head up there meaning that the lower tiers would be half full and this would look average on TV (as only the lower tier is ever seen on TV). I give it two years, but I honestly thought that we'd never get to that point a few years back.

19 minutes ago, Deluka said:

As exciting as it would be, everyone from the lower levels would head up there meaning that the lower tiers would be half full and this would look average on TV (as only the lower tier is ever seen on TV). I give it two years, but I honestly thought that we'd never get to that point a few years back.

If it were all GA they certainly would. Completely under cover for starters. The front rows of Level 3 are superb viewing and better than the front Level 1 Premium A and B seats.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Deluka said:

this would look average on TV 

My brother in law and i were having a conversation a while back about how sports are rapidly changing to specifically accommodate tv audiences (he is a big NRL fan so its a subject that is very relevant to him). He thinks that eventually stadiums will be build with only 3 sides of seating and the 4th side will just be a giant wall set up for commentators boxes, tv equipment, cooperate boxes, etc. That way you reduce costs of construction and the stadium looks bigger and fuller on tv 

Edited by KSK_47

52 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

My brother in law and i were having a conversation a while back about how sports are rapidly changing to specifically accommodate tv audiences (he is a big NRL fan so its a subject that is very relevant to him). He thinks that eventually stadiums will be build with only 3 sides of seating and the 4th side will just be a giant wall set up for commentators boxes, tv equipment, cooperate boxes, etc. That way you reduce costs of construction and the stadium looks bigger and fuller on tv 

That reminds me half the stadiums (Glorified Halls) of the NBL in its early 90's boom you would see on Channel Ten on a really really boring Sunday.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

For the Nrl, that wouldn't surprise me 

Related to this, i think the 'look' of the A-league is something which has to be addressed.

To put it blundtly, too many teams are playing in venues which are too large, and look horrible as a spectacle on TV and live. Further, thousands about thousands of empty seats at all games reduces the need for people to sign up as members, as they pick and chose games they like. 

The nux - that was just shocking on the weekend. Play at hutt reserve, a nice little venue which is tv friendly and gives the feel of a lower league UK game.

CCM and Jest - seriously, i know it has been that way and this wont be popular but 2 teams generating empty stadiums a stones throw from each other ideal? Merg the 2 and make them Northern Coast Jest or something.

Perth - the time of games and empty green seats just makes those games very missable for me.

Similarly, Aami - the green seats are horrible and with a small crowd (ie our games) the TV is a sea of green. Not sure what our alternative is, but could a more gabba-like seat structure work where it is very hard to tell if there are 5K or 25K there?

Roar - Suncorp is just too big and looks hollow and lifeless on tv. Surely there is a better venue. 

We need to turn games into an EVENT - size of the venue isnt the key and never has been in this sport. Many of the great UK stadiums take even 80K. It is about the feel which can be built on with full or near full venues.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

CCM and Jest - seriously, i know it has been that way and this wont be popular but 2 teams generating empty stadiums a stones throw from each other ideal? Merg the 2 and make them Northern Coast Jest or something.

I dont know where to start with this

3 hours ago, CityHeart said:

Related to this, i think the 'look' of the A-league is something which has to be addressed.

To put it blundtly, too many teams are playing in venues which are too large, and look horrible as a spectacle on TV and live. Further, thousands about thousands of empty seats at all games reduces the need for people to sign up as members, as they pick and chose games they like. 

The nux - that was just shocking on the weekend. Play at hutt reserve, a nice little venue which is tv friendly and gives the feel of a lower league UK game.

Perth - the time of games and empty green seats just makes those games very missable for me.

Similarly, Aami - the green seats are horrible and with a small crowd (ie our games) the TV is a sea of green. Not sure what our alternative is, but could a more gabba-like seat structure work where it is very hard to tell if there are 5K or 25K there?

Roar - Suncorp is just too big and looks hollow and lifeless on tv. Surely there is a better venue. 

We need to turn games into an EVENT - size of the venue isnt the key and never has been in this sport. Many of the great UK stadiums take even 80K. It is about the feel which can be built on with full or near full venues.

Yeah whilst we are at it, might as well merge us and Victory and play out of Lakeside aye? Would be a great feel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

And as a heads up, Gosford and Newcastle are separated by about 100kms.

Closer to 90 IMO. As a comparison, it's just over 70 from Kogarah to Wollongong - I'm thinking of St. George-Illawarra RL Club.

Overall I just don't think FFA has any real idea of where it is going with the A-League. Gallop seems to lurch from one position to another. His latest pronouncement is an additional two clubs, but with no details of where and when. He poured cold water on that idea only a few months ago.

No club owner is going to invest in a club ground under the present circumstances. Even CFG are not going to do that, even though the cost could easily be lower than the purchase of a single EPL player for Manchester City.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I dont know where to start with this

Nobody ever does. It's like the taboo subject of Australian football - cant mention anything about it yet alas, I watch games there with more palm trees and sauce bottles than fans.

12 hours ago, morphine said:

Yeah whilst we are at it, might as well merge us and Victory and play out of Lakeside aye? Would be a great feel

Yea, that's what I said. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Closer to 90 IMO. As a comparison, it's just over 70 from Kogarah to Wollongong - I'm thinking of St. George-Illawarra RL Club.

Overall I just don't think FFA has any real idea of where it is going with the A-League. Gallop seems to lurch from one position to another. His latest pronouncement is an additional two clubs, but with no details of where and when. He poured cold water on that idea only a few months ago.

No club owner is going to invest in a club ground under the present circumstances. Even CFG are not going to do that, even though the cost could easily be lower than the purchase of a single EPL player for Manchester City.

Sydney and Melbourne were setup with individual teams with potential catchment areas larger than 100KM and multiplied in area and density.

The FFA have no clue at all - they would not have even setup a Western Sydney team but fell over it after the disaster being the Gold Coast.

The league, bar certain teams/fixtures, presents as an amateur, soulless and atmosphere-less (is that a word?) product. 

Not sure I buy all this negativity (which probably marks me out for suspicion on this board).  For sure we have teams rattling around in grounds which are too big or the wrong shape.  And we don't have enough teams or a governing body which appears to have a clear strategic plan. Alright, I do buy into some of the negativity (it's catching).   But.  Attendances are growing, and those stadiums are beginning to fill up (I know, not always).  Soccer is definitely becoming more popular.  And at last, issues of new teams and even promotion and relegation are being talked about.  There is cause for a little optimism at least.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Not sure I buy all this negativity (which probably marks me out for suspicion on this board).  For sure we have teams rattling around in grounds which are too big or the wrong shape.  And we don't have enough teams or a governing body which appears to have a clear strategic plan. Alright, I do buy into some of the negativity (it's catching).   But.  Attendances are growing, and those stadiums are beginning to fill up (I know, not always).  Soccer is definitely becoming more popular.  And at last, issues of new teams and even promotion and relegation are being talked about.  There is cause for a little optimism at least.

More than that, soccer is on the bubble. I'd love to echo others and say the next few years are so important, but honestly, I feel like it's a freight train and not even poor governing will stop it. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I call bullshit too, unless the poster provides some basis for his assertion. But it's not impossible, because if CFG offered enough to take a long-term lease over (be the operator of) the stadium, why would the current management refuse? This is what CFG does in Manchester - the stadium is owned by the City of Manchester but operated by Manchester City FC.

When do the naming rights come up for grabs again?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I call bullshit too, unless the poster provides some basis for his assertion. But it's not impossible, because if CFG offered enough to take a long-term lease over (be the operator of) the stadium, why would the current management refuse? This is what CFG does in Manchester - the stadium is owned by the City of Manchester but operated by Manchester City FC.

When do the naming rights come up for grabs again?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/lucky-new-stadiums-called-aami/news-story/75a8480c9755b0028894895f2619d593?sv=ecbf20ec5fb76699ae21f2a000e8ff74

Edited by Dylan

Would actually lol if that occurred.

Oh god, please let that one be true.

The thing I like about the green seats is that it provides a neutral colour for all four tenants that play at AAMI, however if the city blue seats did occur, it would show that CFG are in for the long term (not that they haven't so far).

Edited by RedAndWhitePride