Melbourne Football
Embee

Talking City Fan Channel

jw1739    7,104
36 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Weren't Sydney FC up in arms about the decision to host the last year's game at AAMI? Something about them drawing a bigger crowd?

I thought that it was more that they'd had to travel further in the competition?

Anyway, our crowd for that final was 18,751. Well above 13,452 last night.

fensaddler    438
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that it was more that they'd had to travel further in the competition?

Anyway, our crowd for that final was 18,751. Well above 13,452 last night.

I think they just sooked about the whole thing TBH. Distance, they'd get s bigger crowd, they were the bigger club etc.  At the time City were getting all the media attention, and the former media darlings were feeling a bit put out, I think...

• Like 1

eric forman    45
19 hours ago, Dylan said:

On a future ep can you dudes try to get a club official on and ask about a stadium?

Apparently there is something in the A-League laws about the clubs not owning their stadium. Not sure how much truth there is in it though.

eric forman    45
4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

That sounds so ridiculous that I believe it. 

Well according to the person I heard it from its part of the licensing criteria that the clubs can't own their stadiums and apparently its similar in the NPL.

n i k o    4,936

Makes perfect sense. God forbid any club can stand on its own two feet without any FFA assistance. I'm sure it gives the FFA more control to manipulate where matches are played etc. 

• Like 1

HughJass    21
56 minutes ago, eric forman said:

Well according to the person I heard it from its part of the licensing criteria that the clubs can't own their stadiums and apparently its similar in the NPL.

Definitely not similar in the npl 

eric forman    45
9 hours ago, HughJass said:

Definitely not similar in the npl 

Came from someone in the NPL system that they at least tried to implement it at the very start of NPL.

marn11    558
1 hour ago, eric forman said:

Came from someone in the NPL system that they at least tried to implement it at the very start of NPL.

Knights own their stadium.

• Like 1

Dylan    4,160

Well after the FFA are kicked out I will assume the Aleague will suddenly become a lot more liberal and independent

jw1739    7,104
23 hours ago, eric forman said:

Apparently there is something in the A-League laws about the clubs not owning their stadium. Not sure how much truth there is in it though.

That makes no sense to me at all. FFA doesn't own any stadiums, so if there is such a rule then all they are doing is putting the income from stadium rentals into someone else's hands - usually (perhaps always?) a State government.

In fact, I don't think that there is such a rule. What there are are various agreements signed by FFA and other parties that force A-League clubs to play in certain venues and prevent them playing elsewhere even if they want to and even if they would lose less money by doing so. For example (from 2012), see https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/perth-glory-owner-tony-sage-considering-building-new-stadium-to-stave-off-massive-costs-at-nib-stadium/news-story/5f4e9600809e6beaf984542c432f51c7

FFA is the obstacle to the growth of football in this country.