Melbourne Football

Talking City Fan Channel

Embee

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

Mine hasn't cut short at all this episode. It has in the past though. May just be a browser/app issue?

Edit: Apologies, it cuts short right at the end (about 53:24). 

It does. I download it, and I lost you halfway though the Mifsuds when you were talking about how the Sydney derby is no match for the Melbourne derby. Feel bereft.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Give us a listen plz and thx

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=179683

Haven't listened for a while.

Brilliant stuff, and we need more of it going forward. In the future I'd really like to hear your views on other members of our coaching and management staff - e.g. Petrillo and Vidmar. Some of the things that have gone on this season in terms of the squad are inexplicable, and you're right, we've gone from an identifiable style in those first four matches to absolutely nothing.

Keep hammering the theme - what the fuck does this club actually stand for? Because I keep hearing from the club that it's about winning, silverware, playing ACL etc. etc. but what I see on the field is nothing like that. After 8 seasons I reckon it's time that the club came clean with its supporters.

Strangely, I do feel better after hearing you. It's at least consoling that I'm not alone in feeling the way I do.

9 hours ago, haz said:

I never knew Caceras was still contracted with Man City, he needs to be back!

Yes, he is. His current loan to Al-Wasl ends on 30th June 2018. He's played in 19 UAE League matches plus a couple of cup matches for one goal and two assists. His minutes per match are decreasing.

In hindsight his departure was a mistake, because we've had no effective no. 10 throughout the season. I agree, we should get him back for next season.

Hmm i was looking forward to seeing how he'd go this season tbf because i did think he had some genuine upside in him. On the flipside, his output was always fairly meh for us as well, which i think a lot of people tend to forget (or in the case of a few rosey eyed forum members were unable to see).

I'd welcome him back no probs, but i wont be convinced he's 'the answer' until he proves it on the pitch.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm i was looking forward to seeing how he'd go this season tbf because i did think he had some genuine upside in him. On the flipside, his output was always fairly meh for us well, which i think a lot of people tend to forget (or in the case of a few rosey eyed forum members were unable to see).

I'd welcome him back no probs, but i wont be convinced he's 'the answer' until he proves it on the pitch.

Agree 100%.

I'm one of those guys who continually dumped on him on this forum because I believed his output never matched his potential. The thing that really infuriated me was he looked great in games where we were winning easily, when Mooy and Bruno were on fire in particularly. Yet when he needed to step up and be the main man, he invariably went missing. 

I'm team first and if he comes back and proves to be a vital go-to cog, then I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong. Till then though......

• Like 1

Just now, rass said:

Agree 100%.

I'm one of those guys who continually dumped on him on this forum because I believed his output never matched his potential. The thing that really infuriated me was he looked great in games where we were winning easily, when Mooy and Bruno were on fire in particularly. Yet when he needed to step up and be the main man, he invariably went missing. 

I'm team first and if he comes back and proves to be a vital go-to cog, then I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong. Till then though......

Yeh definitely. And i'd love to see him do well, i really would. He definitely improved in the back half of last season, but regardless we were all baying for a quality 10 at the end of the season.

• Like 1

I was definitely pro Caceras. There were games where he dominated and ran the show. In between that he had some quiet/low output games combined with inconsistent man management which saw him being chopped and changed on the bench or playing a different role to the playmaker role. I thought he showed enough to warrant being number 10 role and felt he needed a coach to show some faith in him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I'm very sceptical of that 'new rule' actually existing. The laws of the game clearly state that if a foul in the box is committed and it was a genuine attempt to play the ball, then it is a cautionable offence i.e. a yellow card. 

?

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I was definitely pro Caceras. There were games where he dominated and ran the show. In between that he had some quiet/low output games combined with inconsistent man management which saw him being chopped and changed on the bench or playing a different role to the playmaker role. I thought he showed enough to warrant being number 10 role and felt he needed a coach to show some faith in him. 

Agreed. Since we've had eight seasons of mediocrity and underperformance by chopping and changing the squad every season and every match, I was hoping this season that we could try some stability for a change. If for no other reason than that I would have kept Caceres. Well, we did, but after he had signed for us on a season's loan he upped and went to Al-Wasl. IIRC, Joyce indicated his disappointment as he had been impressed with Caceres in pre-season. So presumably Manchester City and Petrillo?

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. Since we've had eight seasons of mediocrity and underperformance by chopping and changing the squad every season and every match, I was hoping this season that we could try some stability for a change. If for no other reason than that I would have kept Caceres. Well, we did, but after he had signed for us on a season's loan he upped and went to Al-Wasl. IIRC, Joyce indicated his disappointment as he had been impressed with Caceres in pre-season. So presumably Manchester City and Petrillo?

Maybe Caceres wasn't impressed by Joyce and just wanted out.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Maybe Caceres wasn't impressed by Joyce and just wanted out.

From memory, when Caceres was on the podcast he intimated that he wanted to go overseas. I suspect he meant Europe not the Middle East but he clearly had ambitions to move onto bigger things. 

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

From memory, when Caceres was on the podcast he intimated that he wanted to go overseas. I suspect he meant Europe not the Middle East but he clearly had ambitions to move onto bigger things. 

I'd suggest he also saw the signings of Bud and Mauk as direct competition and may have thought he might find game time limited.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd suggest he also saw the signings of Bud and Mauk as direct competition and may have thought he might find game time limited.

At that point the mooted signings were Mauk and Troisi actually, which probably would have all but buried Caceres (until Troisi starting putting in the sort of performances he has been for the Tards).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IIRC that was indeed the case. I suppose that begs the question why, if we had AC already signed (which we did) why were we chasing alternatives? we ended up with only Carrusca, and he lasted 5 minutes with Joyce.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC that was indeed the case. I suppose that begs the question why, if we had AC already signed (which we did) why were we chasing alternatives? we ended up with only Carrusca, and he lasted 5 minutes with Joyce.

Well i think most people would have thought it prudent to allocate our marquee spot to a 10 given it was our weakness last year, and even though Caceras had shown that he was capable there, he'd not set the world on fire. Mauk was prob not a required signing, but i dont have any problem with picking up a player for near nothing that has the ability to better our squad, irrespective of who else we have in the position.

The only issue with having too many players for a particular spot is having to manage them and keep them happy with limited game time, an issue that Joyce has quite arguably had difficulty in doing this season. Not sure that's a particularly fair criticism in the case of Caceras however.

• Like 1