Melbourne Football

Talking City Fan Channel

Embee

36 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Weren't Sydney FC up in arms about the decision to host the last year's game at AAMI? Something about them drawing a bigger crowd?

I thought that it was more that they'd had to travel further in the competition?

Anyway, our crowd for that final was 18,751. Well above 13,452 last night.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that it was more that they'd had to travel further in the competition?

Anyway, our crowd for that final was 18,751. Well above 13,452 last night.

I think they just sooked about the whole thing TBH. Distance, they'd get s bigger crowd, they were the bigger club etc.  At the time City were getting all the media attention, and the former media darlings were feeling a bit put out, I think...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eric forman said:

Apparently there is something in the A-League laws about the clubs not owning their stadium. Not sure how much truth there is in it though.

That makes no sense to me at all. FFA doesn't own any stadiums, so if there is such a rule then all they are doing is putting the income from stadium rentals into someone else's hands - usually (perhaps always?) a State government.

In fact, I don't think that there is such a rule. What there are are various agreements signed by FFA and other parties that force A-League clubs to play in certain venues and prevent them playing elsewhere even if they want to and even if they would lose less money by doing so. For example (from 2012), see https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/perth-glory-owner-tony-sage-considering-building-new-stadium-to-stave-off-massive-costs-at-nib-stadium/news-story/5f4e9600809e6beaf984542c432f51c7

FFA is the obstacle to the growth of football in this country.