Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Semi-Final 25th October 7.30 pm AAMI Park: Melbourne Derby

hakz7

With his hard hat on, FFA boss David Gallop will make cup final ruling in a tale of two cities

index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_device=desktop
Tom Smithies, The Daily Telegraph
October 20, 2016 8:03pm
Subscriber only
index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_device=desktop

WE are delighted to be able to set at rest the minds of those concerned about conflicts of interest at the top of Australian football — at least on one front.

In the next few days FFA has to decide whether Sydney or Melbourne should host the FFA Cup final now that Sydney FC are in it, and facing one of the Melbourne teams. That would be the Sydney FC in which FFA chairman Steven Lowy’s family still owns some 10 per cent of the club.

74% of original size (was 677x508) - Click to enlarge9c76912976171e68b482cee92ca63520?width=650 FFA CEO David Gallop holds all the power.

But like the brave individual he is, FFA CEO David Gallop will make the call, without reference to the FFA board. Which is just as well, as the vast majority of them live in Sydney, and it’s refreshingly reassuring to know that won’t be a factor either.

Good luck to Gallop, who knows full well that whichever city he chooses will provoke fury in the other.

“We’ll be in a position to announce the venue at the end of next week’s semi-final between Victory and City, and as in previous years that will be a decision taken at management level,” Gallop told Confidential.

Sydney it is then boys

Just now, Deeming said:

Other way around.

Victory will always pull a crowd. Us not so much.

Sydney usually get a decent turn-up + Cahill factor = decent crowd

Strongly disagree. IMO there is absolutely no chance they'll let Victory host two years in a row when Sydney hasn't hosted a final yet, whereas we have the trophy virginity factor in a smaller stadium. 

5 minutes ago, neio said:

Anyone else just get the email that a mobile or printed ticket isn't valid and that you have to go collect a proper ticket 

I think I'd be calling Ticketek and making sure that's a genuine e-mail, and also asking why. Kind of defeats the on-line purchase facility.

19 minutes ago, neio said:

Anyone else just get the email that a mobile or printed ticket isn't valid and that you have to go collect a proper ticket 

Yeah it's just for active tickets. They weren't supposed to allow you to print them in the first place as they don't want people to duplicate their tickets to bring others in without a valid active ticket so they must've accidentally put the option there. It was like that for the Cup game vs WSW and the semi final vs Perth last season where we couldn't print active tickets.

32 minutes ago, Hughesie27 said:

Got the email. Absolute farce. I was already charged a fiver for the luxury.

The email makes no effort to explain where the hell im meant to go to pick it up either. Where are their collection booths. 

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Content/Outlets/agencies_vic.aspx

EDIT: Alternatively, you can rock up to AAMI extra early and pick up your tickets before people start going so you don't have to wait in line.

Edited by hakz7

38 minutes ago, Hughesie27 said:

Got the email. Absolute farce. I was already charged a fiver for the luxury.

The email makes no effort to explain where the hell im meant to go to pick it up either. Where are their collection booths. 

The closest one to me is about 40 minutes away,  as I can't get to frankston tomorrow and it's shut on Sunday's 

Hardly ideal 

On 10/17/2016 at 5:43 PM, KSK_47 said:

I am expecting about 15k being its a Tuesday night and most victory supporters wont want to wintness their team get trashed twice in one fortnight live. Could be the closest to an even ratio of fans at a derby

I'm thinking because its midweek a lot of their fans won't get day release.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neio said:

Watched them tonight,  and still have absolute confidence that we will smack them again.  

Nothing changed for them and they know and their supporters know that we have them covered*

* assuming we don't put in a typical heart performance 

Im not, even if we dominate them which we should because they're dreadful, if we don't take our chances we will cop what Adelaide did tonight, last week we had to keep the foot on the throat to finish them off, Rojas scored out of nowhere, they constantly get goals against the run of play so we need to be switched on and finishing everything.

37 minutes ago, Love This City said:

Hi All, was just looking at getting some tickets for Tuesday night but seems that Active is all sold out and only GA is remaining.  

What bays have been allocated for our active area?  Want to be as close as possible to all the action and noise.

Bay 17. Pull a sneaky one and walk in with the March 

Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City hope for record FFA Cup crowd in semi final

Victory and City have agreed to share the costs and the profits from this game so both clubs will be keen to attract as big an attendance as possible as they battle to meet Sydney in the final next month.

Officials at City and Victory are tipping a crowd of between 15,000 and 20,000 which should see them set a new FFA Cup record.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victory/melbourne-victory-melbourne-city-hope-for-record-ffa-cup-crowd-in-semi-final-20161023-gs8j7n.html

Ez money

1 hour ago, seamolyons said:

watch the amount of shit we will cop even if 1 seat isnt sold....

fucking tards

It doesn't surprise me that there are plenty of seats. On Friday night  next Friday's match against Adelaide was advertised several times on the screen, but I don't recall the Cup match even being mentioned. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention, but I don't recall anything about it.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It doesn't surprise me that there are plenty of seats. On Friday night  next Friday's match against Adelaide was advertised several times on the screen, but I don't recall the Cup match even being mentioned. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention, but I don't recall anything about it.

My guess is because it isn't our home game,  we're not going to advertise a game for them 

This was before the gate split was organized I assume 

23 minutes ago, neio said:

My guess is because it isn't our home game,  we're not going to advertise a game for them 

Indeed. There was even an announcement at the end of the Perth match that the next home match was against Adelaide on Friday.  Technically correct, but...

3 hours ago, hakz7 said:

The 4 bays either side of our active (15,16 and 18,19) look to have been sold well but the bays near the corners have barely sold.

Come and join us in Block 14, we'll be very pleased to have more City company!

35 minutes ago, neio said:

To me that's just small-minded. Gate split or not, the match is listed on the club web-site, but not headlined. Don't we actually want support for our boys on the night?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

To me that's just small-minded. Gate split or not, the match is listed on the club web-site, but not headlined. Don't we actually want support for our boys on the night?

We always just advertise the next home game, we never say our next game is next week against Sydney away 

I understand your point,  especially with it being a cup game but that will be why 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, malloy said:

We might not actually be allowed to advertise it.

18 minutes ago, neio said:

We always just advertise the next home game, we never say our next game is next week against Sydney away 

I understand your point,  especially with it being a cup game but that will be why 

Maybe you're right, but I can't for the life of me understand why FFA would prevent the promotion of an individual match, a relatively new competition, and the growth of the game itself.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe you're right, but I can't for the life of me understand why FFA would prevent the promotion of an individual match, a relatively new competition, and the growth of the game itself.

I can't either, but it might be something dictated by ticketmaster/ticketek regarding third parties (parties other than home team and ticketing company) advertising tickets. If it is the case it may be an unintended outcome of such a clause as these circumstances are rather uncommon (and potentially only happened to victory when and the AAMI derbies) i.e. a home team playing their next game at their home ground where they aren't the home team also followed by another game at the ground where they are the home team. 

Not feeling confident. Usually when Heart/City follow a decent spell of not losing they go on a non winning streak. Winning the FFA cup quarter final and then the first two games of the of the A-League was actually unprecedented. Also have we ever won two sudden death games in a row against A-League competition? I didn't expect us to win the first two games of the comp so hopefully the Perth game was just a blip. before the Perth game I was starting to #believe this season might be different and it would be nice to get back to that feeling. Lose this game and I think I'll just give up for another season.

I wish I felt confident about this one.  We've barely had a week of bragging rights, and been out thought tactically at the weekend.  Unless we can work out how to counter that, everyone is going to do the same to us, including Victory, and it's going to be a long, miserable season.  My only crumbs of hope are that a. Victory aren't good enough to do what Perth did, b. that we will have two of our best offensive players back, and c. surely our entire staff will have had a serious wake up call from that.  And hopefully it won't be raining...

Friday night answered a few questions. We are definitely a different side to seasons past. Previously we would have lost 0:3 but with this current team we have a stronger resolve and I'm pretty confident more often than not we will fight out games.

It was interesting that we went for the win as opposed settle for a point but that's a discussion for another time.

As far a the Semi goes we will benefit from the Tards wanting to attack and because of this we will have more space.  Our players are collectively of greater technical ability and also physically and mentally stronger and therefore will win. Due to both coaches being pretty dogmatic in structure and lacking alternative plans it will come down to individual skill.

3:4 win with a couple reds.

(Penalties very strong possibility).

9 minutes ago, Deeming said:

After the loss on Friday I am feeling more confident.

City form =
Step 1) play well
Step 2) win well
Step 3) get people's hopes up
Step 4) play poorly
Step 5) lose
Step 6) crush our spirits
Step 7) Return to Step 1)

In lamens term. The loop of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deeming said:

After the loss on Friday I am feeling more confident.

City form =
Step 1) play well
Step 2) win well
Step 3) get people's hopes up
Step 4) play poorly
Step 5) lose
Step 6) crush our spirits
Step 7) Return to Step 1)

Hilarious but I think our spirits being crushed usually lasts more than one week. Just think back to the last 2 games of last season.