Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Semi-Final 25th October 7.30 pm AAMI Park: Melbourne Derby

hakz7

41 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

The whole "lets use their chants against them" is a bit low hanging fruit for me. But everyone has their opinions. And obviously if i cared that much i would still be involved in the terrace

Yeah, agree with that. It just makes it seem like we're still too preoccupied with them now, when we have no reason to be.

But I'm not putting my hand up to help out either, so the active supporters can sing whatever they like, I guess.

• Like 1

Could have been 3-0 up in the first 15 minutes, great opening and makes a huge difference when you don't conceed first, playing from in front is very important. Overall I'm pleased, one concern though and that's when we go through patches in games and it happened again last night where it seems like we are disinterested in moving forward and resort to a lot of sideways passing which ends up going all the way back to bouzanis even from good spots to begin an attack, anyone else noticed this? Think we over did it last night and it gave MV half a sniff.

10 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Alrighty here are my thoughts:

BOUZANIS: Played pretty well tonight. Made me so nervous early on with his botched clearances but did the important stuff and came up with some important stops.

MUSCAT: 10/10 performance. Solid as a rock at the back, creative going forward. Definitely an underrated signing, big big fan.

JACOBSEN: Hard as nails, stopped absolutely everything, made Berisha look like a bitch and tore him a new one backing up Bouzanis. What a man.

ROSE: Quite a good game for him tonight. Maybe he just likes playing Victory? Was very solid at the back and moved the ball quite well. Didn't set the world on fire but was still very impressive.

KILKENNY: They say that 71% of the Earth is covered by water, the rest is covered by Neil Kilkenny. Nothing got past him and he moved the ball very well out of defence. Very impressive tonight.

BRATTAN: Mooy who? His passing is just out of this world, his touch is phenomenal and his workrate is immense. And how about that cracker of a goal?! Johnny Warren medal please.

CACERES: Played really well tonight. Pulled the strings in midfield with Brattan and seemed to be involved with everything. Well played. 

CAHILL: This guy is a genuine cunt. I absolutely love it. In Berisha's face every time he was near him, dominating everyone when he was on the ball, going in hard to every challenge, and never taking a backwards step. This guy is fantastic.

FITZGERALD: Played really well tonight. Was creative and fast going forward, some of his touches were unreal. Linked up very well with Brattan and we scored our second through him and Bruno not giving up.

BRANDAN: What an absolute nutcase. So fast, so skillful, so passionate. I love this guy so much already. Knows exactly where to be at the right time. Legend.

FORNAROLI: The captain was at his usual brilliant best tonight. Very unlucky not to have bagged a goal of his own, but was always a huge threat and drew a double-team everytime he touched the ball, meaning somebody was always free. Worked his arse off for the second goal, and his passion towards the end and love for Melburnians was so awesome to see. What a beautiful human.

RETRE: Played well when he came on, helped solidify us. 

CHAPMAN: Quite impessive when he came on, was very solid defending and actually looked dangerous going forward. Hope to see more of him soon. 

FRANJIC: Wasn't on long enough to make an impact but so so happy to see him back playing. What a trooper.

Brilliant performance, lets see the same thing Friday night!

Great summary. I think one of the big things is that our subs all contributed when they came on (Franjic perhaps more in terms of giving the boys a bit of a boost to see him back out there). I'd like to watch the replay again, but I'm pretty sure Retre was instrumental in setting up the second goal. Chapman was solid as a rock and his control and accuracy when he had the ball was a radical departure from the game against Wellington.

It would seem like too big a risk in a big, tense game for a keeper with little first team experience in a couple of years, but was Bouzanis instructed to hold on to the ball for a bit longer when he had it to make Berisha run at him (and wear him out)? It kind of seemed like it and you could argue that it worked.

Kilkenny is one of those players that you just appreciate so much more when you see him in person. He'd be a worthy captain of this team. A class act. I love all our international signings so far (Victory fans already hate Brandan with a passion, which makes me love him even more) and when you consider the Australian pick-ups that we've also made (Kamau, Brattan, Cahill, Muscat, Kilkenny, Rose), that's an incredible offseason. Everything has clicked.

With Sorensen, Malik, Colazo, Kamau, Retre and Franjic getting minimal game time over the past two games, hopefully we have the depth to back this win up with a strong performance against Adelaide.

Highlight of the game for me was Georgevski bravely picking his battles in the final five minutes, abusing the linesman (ironically calling him "retarded").

• Like 1

Nice! Some people have been saying that typical Heart/City would win this match and then go back to being shit. I didn't think that.

There were many reasons the old Heart/City would have lost this:

- it being a semi final (we've never won any of those)

- we've never won two sudden death games against A-League opposition

- the bubble had just burst in the game against Perth and usually it stays burst more than one game

- It's a Derby where it's more about emotion and pride and Victory were hurting

- We ALWAYS start the season pretty shit

So for the first time in six seasons I can honestly say I have confidence this season will not be the same merry mediocre dance all over again. For starters we've made a final and that's a first.

Summary of Victards forum:

saying they got beaten, kind of in the game until the 2nd goal - hate their own players, can't wait for next year, Timmy is a c*nt and for him to break his hip, FFA and Gallop doing everything they can to get us and Timmeh being their lovechild the FFA Cup.

Also can't deal with Fox and the media saying 'change of the guard' as we've only won 2 games etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pattyd89 said:

Summary of Victards forum:

saying they got beaten, kind of in the game until the 2nd goal - hate their own players, can't wait for next year, Timmy is a c*nt and for him to break his hip, FFA and Gallop doing everything they can to get us and Timmeh being their lovechild the FFA Cup.

Also can't deal with Fox and the media saying 'change of the guard' as we've only won 2 games etc.

All true. That's why it's so funny.

• Like 2

Tough win that one. Sweetest feeling after the disappointment against Perth.

Special mention goes to our captain. We all know he is class with the ball at his feet but he did something else last night that was great to see.

Jakobsen was about to explode at one point, even directing his anger towards Kilkenny and nearly becoming physical with him. Fornaroli stepped in and completely defused the situation. It was the best bit of captaincy I've seen in the history of the club.

Just when our backline was on the verge of losing it at 1-0 up, he gave everyone a spray and made them focus. Leads by example and knows when to step in. Love it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Well I brought 3 people to the game last night and 2 of them were from France and attended many PSG games but never been to a football game here and never watch the game on TV. They absolutely loved it.

They thought the quality was great, the skills were good and they said the main difference was the errors in distribution/possession, but they said the physical checking was great to watch.

They loved the atmosphere and the tension of the game.

Interesting too was when they saw Tim with the ball they said he is a class above the rest and the type of quality they see in France. 

What's funny is that by the end of the game they hated Musctard, Berisha, Georgevski and Valeri. Smart guys.

Both are now City fans and want to come to a lot more games and definitely want to come to the final with a few more mates so hopefully we will be a group of 8 for the final.

Just don't bring up Koren. 😉😉 

Keep up the good work👍

53 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I'm going to against policy here,  and risk having my membership and any rights on the forum revoked

But,  I don't think what he said was that bad to be honest 

1 minute ago, neio said:

I'm going to against policy here,  and risk having my membership and any rights on the forum revoked

But,  I don't think what he said was that bad to be honest 

No problems with criticizing decisions, but you have to draw the line with questioning the referees's integrity imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Just proves he is in panic mode now that the Postecoglu legacy has worn off and he realises he can't coach. Victory is on the path of self destruction, awesome.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just proves he is in panic mode because t Postacoglu legacy has worn off and he now realises he can't coach.

Just proves he is in panic mode now that the Postecoglu legacy has worn off and he realises he can't coach. Victory is on the path of self destruction, awesome.

Well I'd be ashamed to admit that I was out coached by JVS as well

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

what's the H2H record now in the derbies?

8-5-8 all time them with a +5 GD

7-5-7 in the league then with a +4 GD

tin foil hat time.

The reason that Victory haven't beaten us in over a year (4 games) and WSW have ticked over 1000 days (lots of games) without a win is because is and FC have (comparatively) less retarded fans.

The current police and media environment is not conducive of bad fan behaviour. Therefore the Tards and WSW backroom and dedicating more time and attention in stakeholder engagement than onfield performance than their City and FC counterparts.

16 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's easy to be good when you're winning. Take it from me it can turn stale very quickly if the team aren't doing well

Mate even against Perth I thought you guys did an excellent job. Sounds to me like the terrace is really trying, one of the best ones i think a few clubs would be in awe of is getting everyone to stand up and clap even along the wings. So well done.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I know when I looked at the overall numbers not so long ago our record against Victory is better than against many of the other clubs.

That's been the problem in the past. We played Derbys like that mattered but league games, well, whatever.

Turning the tide isn't about beating them, we've done that many times, it's winning the other games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That's been the problem in the past. We played Derbys like that mattered but league games, well, whatever.

Turning the tide isn't about beating them, we've done that many times, it's winning the other games.

Was it on here that I read our record backing up from derbies has been absolutely woeful? A bit like Geelong backing up after Hawthorn.