Melbourne Football

Matchday(s) 16/17

Dylan

Watching the tards v centrelink game, I can't help think thank fark we have Bouzanis not Lawrence Thomas in goals. 

By God that Thomas fella has shite disposal. Makes Bouzanis look like a quality keeper.

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Stupid Tard gets himself sent off.

We heed them to get a point here.

Then again, are you that surprised?

• 3 weeks later...

So, what do people think about the semi-final Sydney and Perth and the VAR decisions? I'll stick my neck out. Bobo definitely off-side in the lead-up to Sydney's second - can't see how he could not be interfering with play. Sydney's third hard to call, but again I'd have said Holosko was off-side.

Reddy should have received a direct red for his hit on Bujis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-30/var-controversy-dominates-a-league-semi-sydney-fc-perth-glory/8483868

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So, what do people think about the semi-final Sydney and Perth and the VAR decisions? I'll stick my neck out. Bobo definitely off-side in the lead-up to Sydney's second - can't see how he could not be interfering with play. Sydney's third hard to call, but again I'd have said Holosko was off-side.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-30/var-controversy-dominates-a-league-semi-sydney-fc-perth-glory/8483868

Bobo interfered with play, no doubt, so VAR got it wrong

I thought Holosko was just on side , so they got that right, As you said Reddy should have go a red card for his actions, so VAR got that wrong, they should have the power to tell the main ref was has been seen

My thoughts is that VAR was supposed to be there not to referee normal decisions but to get rid of howlers. So now that this happens it just proves the point of everyone against VAR that it will be a slippery slope and will end up like NRL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My main view was not the decisions (although I believe at least one was wrong... HOW?), but that the time it took to make a decision, FMD it would useless. I hope there is uproar about it and they either get rid of it or improve it greatly for next season.

So the almost inevitable occurs - first vs. second in the Grand Final. I admit that this year Brisbane only got over Wanderers in the penalty shoot-out, but I reckon to persist with a six-team finals series with a 10-team league is crap. If we must have it, it should be the top four only.

2 hours ago, haz said:

My main view was not the decisions (although I believe at least one was wrong... HOW?), but that the time it took to make a decision, FMD it would useless. I hope there is uproar about it and they either get rid of it or improve it greatly for next season.

I'd say that if the VAR decision takes more than 10 seconds then the referee's decision was not a howler and should stand.

23 minutes ago, haz said:

So much for all the media saying that we were the dirty fouling team

People see what they want to see, particularly when they wanna rag on City because City is prepared to invest in its operations, training, etc.

Fairly standard grand final tbh; tight, few too aggro many moments outta nerves, etc

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

Rojas showing tonight (and during the majorityof the finals series) why he's back in this league, all the talent in the world but a heart the size of a pea, EAD you weak cunt.

Special mention for that cunt Broxham who shushed the Cove after his penalty, fucking useless

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Perfect result. No team won it in real time, so it'll be a hollow victory for the Smurfs. And the tards screwed up the pens. 

Suck it to both teams. 

Redders you gun.

I dislike penalty shoot-outs intensely. I always feel that in any match "decided" that way, one team loses but the other one doesn't really win.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I dont mind penalties. It is stupid to call them a lottery, as its far from it.  Can anyone remember why the golden goal was removed? I cant remember 

At a guess, prob cause it can be unfair if there is a howling wind etc

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I dont mind penalties. It is stupid to call them a lottery, as its far from it.  Can anyone remember why the golden goal was removed? I cant remember 

From memory it was introduced to stop teams playing for pens. That is sitting back not attacking but more importantly not conceeding in extra (namely those shifty Italians lol). So some genius decided to bring in the golden goal to entice teams to go for glory and really push for the win.

I think inevitably it didn't work because you still have more risk going all out attack and after 90 minutes plus extra players are less able to cover. Also because it was seen or perceived as unfair. And from memory there were a couple games when teams scored golden goals and ran off celebrating when infact they weren't legitimate goals (like Bulut at wanderers) and the refs were unable to restart or disallow the goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

IMO penalties are fairer than the golden goal. However, I don't like either. I'll perhaps accept them if the match is played at a neutral venue, but in the case of yesterday's match I'm old fashioned enough to think that Victory, despite how much I despise them, earned the right to a home replay.

Given that a sensible neutral venue is probably not feasible in Australia because of the sheer distances involved for the fans, I'd be happier with a home-and-away arrangement and the away goals rule. This applies in a number of competitions, including the promotion/relegation play-offs in England, and it looks to work pretty well.

If we ever get to a GF on which entry to the ACL is involved it will be interesting to read what City fans think then. We were fortunate this season to play both the semi-final and the final of the Cup on what is our home ground, despite the semi being a Victory "home" match.

Edited by jw1739

On 2017-5-8 at 0:56 PM, Jovan said:

From memory it was introduced to stop teams playing for pens. That is sitting back not attacking but more importantly not conceeding in extra (namely those shifty Italians lol). So some genius decided to bring in the golden goal to entice teams to go for glory and really push for the win.

I think inevitably it didn't work because you still have more risk going all out attack and after 90 minutes plus extra players are less able to cover. Also because it was seen or perceived as unfair. And from memory there were a couple games when teams scored golden goals and ran off celebrating when infact they weren't legitimate goals (like Bulut at wanderers) and the refs were unable to restart or disallow the goal.

This, golden goal was supposed to encourage attacking play but teams preferred not to cop the goal, rather than score one themselves, so in practice golden goal was even more defensive.

Personally I like penalties. It's a pure battle of wills, who will hold their nerve, who will blink first? (To be fair it probably helps that I'm a goalkeeper and get all the glory if I save even one, and none of the criticism if I don't get to any.)

• Like 1