Melbourne Football

Rnd 1 - 8/10, 5.35pm Vs Wellington (Away)

neio

12 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

Don't like our boys flopping around and lying down like this

I don't mind at all. Finally good to see some street smarts and a bit of gameplay. We'd normally cough this up. Three points away with players who have a bit of mongrel (esp Brattan) and who will pull out everything to win. I know it's ugly and not popular- but we need to learn to win ugly!! Take the money and run!!

• Like 2

I didn't see the first part of the game, was listening on the radio in my car.  But from what I saw Rose looked poor. Then again Bonavacia is quality and and Krishna is very quick so between them they will make a lot of fullbacks look ordinary.  But at first glance he looks out of his depth. 

Pity about Sorensen but I think getting his elbow to that break saved game for us. Was very worried about Bouzanis coming on but he did very well. The other Dane was also very very solid. Like him. Would rather see Malik at the back than Chapman, an overall better defender and can pass. But it may have been a pace thing to try and keep up with Krishna, etc.  

As I said, didn't see all of the game and the screen I watched it on made it hard to tell who was who but Brattan seemed to be a lot further forward than I expected to see him. He was good though, was very happy when we signed him. 

Very happy with the points but a little worried that we are still getting to know each other and have the Derby next week against a largely settled lineup. Crossing my fingers. 

2 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

That's a BIG call!  You must be overlooking any game played by the Maltese Messi or the 'great' Maycon Calvalho Inez ?

Or that Dutch bastard with the tats who thought tackle was only required when fishing (Meeuwis), I could go on but if I list every appalling game by every player I'll be institutionalised 

• Like 4

Great 3 points for mine:

1. Football wise. We were red hot in the first half and only Moss having the game of his life kept them in it. When we went to 10 we were pretty solid (for 35 minutes too) & although they had the ball really they only had 2 good chances, both dealt with well by Bouzanzis.

2. They had 5 guys out and were ripe for the plucking. In the past this has guaranteed a loss. We seem to have a new resolve (about bloody time!!)

• Like 4

first half was up there with some of the best football we've ever played. Then Josh Rose decided to single handily turn the game on it's head.

Would take 3 points away to wellington any day. Onto next week, back to 11 v 11 and the big inclusion of Cahill. The key is that everyone pulls up alright after today, especially Brandan/Colazo who will be better for the run.

Second time in our history that we've opened the season with a win (and on a semi-related note, this is my fifth year as a member and we've never opened our campaign at AAMI, but whatever). Sucks that Sorensen got suspended and some of the passing in the back half looked incredibly shaky, but shit, I'll take the win every day of the week. Nearly all of our players looked good and we kept a clean sheet.

I can't watch matches unless I'm actually there, even the Twitter feed is too much for me  - the nerves kick in so badly (how stupid is that at my age?) - but we got the right result so that's really all that matters. Yes we could have made it safe before half-time, but as others have said, in times gone by we wouldn't have hung on for the win. Three points is three points however you get them. So great result.

I don't think Bouzanis coming in for the next match - or will it be two? - is such a bad thing either. I can't see Sorensen going on next season so it doesn't hurt having Bouzanis getting some match time.

Well done lads - just what we needed to start the season!

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

It's a win,  I'm happy to go away keep a clean sheet and come away with 3 points 

Bouzanis was fantastic, that 1on1 save on Krishna was superb,  he fucks that up. It's 1-1 and we're down to 9 with Bruno becoming our keeper 

Brattan for me was a clear man of match,  very sure on the ball and his forward runs were very good

Kamau was also very good,  love his confidence to run at defenders (he will give georgevski all sorts of issues next week) 

As I said earlier it's 3 points banked so can't be unhappy with it 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

Second time in our history that we've opened the season with a win (and on a semi-related note, this is my fifth year as a member and we've never opened our campaign at AAMI, but whatever). Sucks that Sorensen got suspended and some of the passing in the back half looked incredibly shaky, but shit, I'll take the win every day of the week. Nearly all of our players looked good and we kept a clean sheet.

Don't think we've ever had a home opener. Also we usually get an away last round. Thanks FFA.

*watches replay of handball*....*sees comments about DOGSO not applying*....sure the ball may have been out wide, and sure the ball may not have been travelling towards the goal, BUT if the ball hadn't hit Sorensen's arm, the attacking player would almost certainly have gotten the ball whilst in the box on his own with an open goal, and is that not an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

It didn't surprise me we almost lost a goal from a back pass. I counted at east haf a dozen times where we passed back to Sorenson when it wasn't required. Nothing infuriates me more than to watch players pass it back to the goalkeeper without any pressure only for the keeper to launch it forward. FFS the player can do that himself.

Anybody that blames Sorenson for the sending off knows sweet fuck all about football.

My MOTM was Brattan followed by Kamau. However, all the players where solid after the sending off. Last year we would have lost that 3-1.

• Like 6