Melbourne Football

Rnd 1 - 8/10, 5.35pm Vs Wellington (Away)

neio

3 minutes ago, neio said:

Just over 2 weeks until our first league game,  seen few people discussing in couple different threads so opening a dedicated one 

Is it 100% confirmed we don't have cahill,  or is it like last year with Mooy in first game? 

Japan game is on the Tuesday following so definitely wont be playing. I doubt he even starts in the derby tbh.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Can't remember what season maybe 2 ago. There was this shot of a city/heart fan politely clapping after being 4 or 5 up. Was a super image.

Haha I was at that game and the guy was an expat Melburnian. Don't think he even really like Heart, he was just clinging onto something from home. Barely got boo out of him all game until Wielaart scored to make it 4-0 and he stood up with a polite golf clap.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Can't remember what season maybe 2 ago. There was this shot of a city/heart fan politely clapping after being 4 or 5 up. Was a super image.

There was also the one where a guy was wearing a heart shirt in the crowd and we were destroyed 4-0 or something. Then after the full time whistle had blown the camera went backbto him and he was wearing a nix shirt haha

• Like 4

11 Days out and it seems we have pretty much a clean bill of health, Cahill is away on Socceroos duty and the Nix look likely to lose Moss, McGlinchey, Durante, Barbarouses, Doyle and Fenton to All Whites Duty.

Trips across the ditch are never easy, although this presents about a good an opportunity as possible to get off the mark with a win.

Lineup wise I think we'll opt for a 3-4-3,with Malik dropping back into a CB role when we defend, as we appear to have done against WSW,  Auckland and our matches in Townsville.

Sorensen

Chapman     Jakobsen     Rose

Malik

Brattan  Kilkenny

Brandan

Kamau      Fornaroli    Colazo

SUBS Bouzanis   Fitzgerald  Caceres   Retre  Muscat

Wellington will likely go in with something like :

Italiano

Fox--Tratt--Rossi--Boxall

Roly--Lia/Ridenton--Rodriguez

Finkler

Krishna--Watson

Still has some handy enough players in Bonevacia, Krishna and Finkler up front whilst Rossi has apparently looked terrific in pre-season.

Going to be a really interesting game, and one that we should take all 3 points, but approach with caution. My tip is 2-0 City with Bruno and Kamau to score.

36 minutes ago, bt50 said:

11 Days out and it seems we have pretty much a clean bill of health, Cahill is away on Socceroos duty and the Nix look likely to lose Moss, McGlinchey, Durante, Barbarouses, Doyle and Fenton to All Whites Duty.

Trips across the ditch are never easy, although this presents about a good an opportunity as possible to get off the mark with a win.

Lineup wise I think we'll opt for a 3-4-3,with Malik dropping back into a CB role when we defend, as we appear to have done against WSW,  Auckland and our matches in Townsville.

Sorensen

Chapman     Jakobsen     Rose

Malik

Brattan  Kilkenny

Brandan

Kamau      Fornaroli    Colazo

SUBS Bouzanis   Fitzgerald  Caceres   Retre  Muscat

Wellington will likely go in with something like :

Italiano

Fox--Tratt--Rossi--Boxall

Roly--Lia/Ridenton--Rodriguez

Finkler

Krishna--Watson

Still has some handy enough players in Bonevacia, Krishna and Finkler up front whilst Rossi has apparently looked terrific in pre-season.

Going to be a really interesting game, and one that we should take all 3 points, but approach with caution. My tip is 2-0 City with Bruno and Kamau to score.

Will Krishna be on int duties too?

"I'm tipping that some Europe-based All Whites won't be back for that game, so we could lose six or seven, and then we'll lose Roy Krishna [playing for Fiji] as well, so we could have eight players out.

"That makes life very difficult for us, but it also compromises the competition because there is no doubt that other teams will say 'well they played them when they had half a team, now we're playing them when they're a full team', and that's going to happen four or five times this year.

That's what Ernie Merrick said couple weeks ago,  so they be missing Krishna as well 

Wellington vs Melbourne City, Westpac Stadium, Saturday 8th of October @ 5:35pm AEST.

Sportsbet Odds.

Melbourne City: $2.20

Wellington Phoenix: $3.00

Anything worth a punt on? – Melbourne City to win both halves at $7 seems entirely reasonable. If you ignore the fact that we start the season terribly. And that we don’t play overly well away from home. And that we once drew with this team when they were missing not only 7 players, but also their coach (!). I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

Last time they met: A clinical 3-0 for Melbourne City where we arguably could (should?) have scored more. The game will probably most remembered for my call for goal of the season from Harry Novillo where he finished off an audacious chipped pass from Bruno Fornaroli. Also saw the start of the regulation capitulation that we like to observe at the end of the season.

Last season’s results: MCY 3:0 PHX (Novillo, Fornaroli x2)                28.03.2016

PHX 2:1 MCY (Mooy, in absentia: Defenders) 26.02.2016

MCY 3:1 PHX (Fornaroli, Novillo x2)                25.01.2016     

Team News.

Melbourne City: It’s difficult not to be excited about the start of the season. It might be the fact that City showed real promise in their last FFA Cup match against the Wanderers, it might be the fact that our off-season goes for 170 days, who knows. But City come into this one with a nearly full strength squad (minus Tim Cahill on international duty and Ivan Franjic whose been rumoured to have a November start date on his season, good news for all involved) and should look to beat Wellington comfortably. Nicholas Colazo will hopefully get a start to show his ability on the left flank as a marauding full back (looked energetic up and down against Auckland City on family day and took his goal well), while Osama Malik finally looked like the player he can be last time out, making forays into midfield to cut balls out, with the defence looking infinitely more solid with Jakobsen at the heart of defence. Connor Chapman as a right back isn’t an overly exciting thought, but he’s been serviceable enough in the absence of Franjic. The front third is loaded with an embarrassment of riches, with Fitzgerald relegated to the bench. The other bench spots are likely to be very defensive and made up of Retre, Muscat and Rose (though I’d like to see Daniel Arzani move onto the pine if Caceras moves into the starting 11 to replace Cahill).

Possible Starting 11.

Sorenson

Chapman Malik Jakobsen Colazo

Kilkenny Brattan

Kamou Caceras Brandan

Fornaroli.

Wellington Phoenix: The Wellington Phoenix should be an exciting team (at least going forward) this year. But not when they’re decimated by international call ups like they will be on Saturday with Barbarouses, McGlinchey, Ridenton and Durante (and Louis Fenton a late call up to replace Ryan Thomas) all to miss and possibly Krishna too (but for the life of me I can’t determine if Fiji have a game or not in this international break). They’ll also struggle to replace Sigmunds graft in the backline, which will likely see a defence pairing of Dylan Fox and new import Marco Rossi who could have a torrid time against a Melbourne City front 3 who will be keen to get off on the right foot. Ernie Merrick does know how to put out a well drilled side though and Bonevacia and Finkler can be tricky when given space.

Possible Starting 11:

Moss

Lowry Fox Rossi Doyle

Parkhouse Bonevacia Rodriguez Lia

Finkler

Watson 

Prediction: Melbourne City 3-1 Wellington. Melbourne City should have far too much quality for an undermanned Wellington, we’ll conceded in the 70th-80th minute when the game is done for good measure.

Played for both clubs: Dylan Macallister. An entirely good question of why Dylan Macallister can be asked here. Because of his goal against Victory in the opening round derby of 12-13 season. Still our only winning start to a season in our history. Also managed to get himself sent off within 11 minutes against Perth which is an achievement in itself. Hard to remember but was a very good player for an entertaining Wellington side a few years before. Currently kicking around in the NPL NSW for Rockdale City.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Wellington vs Melbourne City, Westpac Stadium, Saturday 8th of October @ 5:35pm AEST.

Sportsbet Odds.

Melbourne City: $2.20

Wellington Phoenix: $3.00

Anything worth a punt on? – Melbourne City to win both halves at $7 seems entirely reasonable. If you ignore the fact that we start the season terribly. And that we don’t play overly well away from home. And that we once drew with this team when they were missing not only 7 players, but also their coach (!). I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

Last time they met: A clinical 3-0 for Melbourne City where we arguably could (should?) have scored more. The game will probably most remembered for my call for goal of the season from Harry Novillo where he finished off an audacious chipped pass from Bruno Fornaroli. Also saw the start of the regulation capitulation that we like to observe at the end of the season.

Last season’s results: MCY 3:0 PHX (Novillo, Fornaroli x2)                28.03.2016

PHX 2:1 MCY (Mooy, in absentia: Defenders) 26.02.2016

MCY 3:1 PHX (Fornaroli, Novillo x2)                25.01.2016     

Team News.

Melbourne City: It’s difficult not to be excited about the start of the season. It might be the fact that City showed real promise in their last FFA Cup match against the Wanderers, it might be the fact that our off-season goes for 170 days, who knows. But City come into this one with a nearly full strength squad (minus Tim Cahill on international duty and Ivan Franjic whose been rumoured to have a November start date on his season, good news for all involved) and should look to beat Wellington comfortably. Nicholas Colazo will hopefully get a start to show his ability on the left flank as a marauding full back (looked energetic up and down against Auckland City on family day and took his goal well), while Osama Malik finally looked like the player he can be last time out, making forays into midfield to cut balls out, with the defence looking infinitely more solid with Jakobsen at the heart of defence. Connor Chapman as a right back isn’t an overly exciting thought, but he’s been serviceable enough in the absence of Franjic. The front third is loaded with an embarrassment of riches, with Fitzgerald relegated to the bench. The other bench spots are likely to be very defensive and made up of Retre, Muscat and Rose (though I’d like to see Daniel Arzani move onto the pine if Caceras moves into the starting 11 to replace Cahill).

Possible Starting 11.

Sorenson

Chapman Malik Jakobsen Colazo

Kilkenny Brattan

Kamou Caceras Brandan

Fornaroli.

Wellington Phoenix: The Wellington Phoenix should be an exciting team (at least going forward) this year. But not when they’re decimated by international call ups like they will be on Saturday with Barbarouses, McGlinchey, Ridenton and Durante (and Louis Fenton a late call up to replace Ryan Thomas) all to miss and possibly Krishna too (but for the life of me I can’t determine if Fiji have a game or not in this international break). They’ll also struggle to replace Sigmunds graft in the backline, which will likely see a defence pairing of Dylan Fox and new import Marco Rossi who could have a torrid time against a Melbourne City front 3 who will be keen to get off on the right foot. Ernie Merrick does know how to put out a well drilled side though and Bonevacia and Finkler can be tricky when given space.

Possible Starting 11:

Moss

Lowry Fox Rossi Doyle

Parkhouse Bonevacia Rodriguez Lia

Finkler

Watson 

Prediction: Melbourne City 3-1 Wellington. Melbourne City should have far too much quality for an undermanned Wellington, we’ll conceded in the 70th-80th minute when the game is done for good measure.

Played for both clubs: Dylan Macallister. An entirely good question of why Dylan Macallister can be asked here. Because of his goal against Victory in the opening round derby of 12-13 season. Still our only winning start to a season in our history. Also managed to get himself sent off within 11 minutes against Perth which is an achievement in itself. Hard to remember but was a very good player for an entertaining Wellington side a few years before. Currently kicking around in the NPL NSW for Rockdale City.

I don't think that Fiji have a game. But I could be wrong..

17 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Agreed. There's a quote earlier in this thread that seems to say there is.

The good folks over at the Yellow Fever forum seem to think he's playing so unless there's evidence to the contrary im assuming he's playing.