Melbourne Football

2016/17 Expectations.

Jovan

Going into this season we have finally signed 5 visas that should all be starting players. We have put together on paper a team that should win silverware. 

My expectations this season is to finish top 2. Make the grand final and earn a ACL spot. Anything less will be a failure.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Going into this season we have finally signed 5 visas that should all be starting players. We have put together on paper a team that should win silverware. 

My expectations this season is to finish top 2. Make the grand final and earn a ACL spot. Anything less will be a failure.

As per last year I think our minimum expectation has to be ACL qualification and at least making one final (be that FFA Cup or Toilet seat).
At least one trophy is an expectation, although not necessarily a 'minimum'.

With a best XI of 

Sorensen

Chapman         Jakobsen        Rose

Franjic      Brattan       Malik        Colazo

Kilkenny

Cahill           Fornaroli

or something similar, as well as super depth across the squad in Fitzy, Kamau, Brandan, Caceres, Muscat etc we should well and truly be challenging, despite the goose we have coaching.           

• Like 3

I want the Premiership and thus qualification into Asia direct. That's the one that means the most to me. You can win or lose both the other two by a single incident, be it a goal one way or the other, a refereeing decision, an injury, or whatever, but you win the Premiership by being the best over the season.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I want the Premiership and thus qualification into Asia direct. That's the one that means the most to me. You can win or lose both the other two by a single incident, be it a goal one way or the other, a refereeing decision, an injury, or whatever, but you win the Premiership by being the best over the season.

Out of likes but i am the same. 

The fact is it's just the A-League and if JA can get Brisbane to within one game of winning the whole thing then JVS winning is not impossible given the right support or even just everything going right. He doesn't deserve to still be here by a long shot but nothing would surprise me this season. I wont be surprised by any result between 1st and 6th. If I had to put 1mil on it I would put money on us coming 2nd and losing the semi-final.

edit: I do hate predicting negative results as I it feels so negative... Hopefully we win everything and photos of a beaming JVS are spread all over sports media...

Edited by Alexxxandro

Given the rate of progress, and the quality of the squad, top two would be par, but let's not forget that there are several clubs out there all too eager to knock us off that perch.  I think tonight will tell us a lot about what we are capable of.  What I'd love is silverware and a place in the ACL.  Just depends whether this team gels and finds a good shape.

5 hours ago, Falastur said:

My expectation is that we start well and then tail off at the business end to the season, and as the year goes on we all get steadily more excited by the thought of JVS finally moving over and being replaced by someone better.

It usually goes- start slow, then have a good run in December where we all get excited and think we are finally going to win something, then drop off miserably at the business end. Followed by us getting excited about getting a better manager only to find out jvs has a new contract in the off season. 

Edited by KSK_47

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'd put my money on Muscat to win the battle one on one but Brandan to win the war when he breaks into his house three nights later with a blow torch and baseball bat. 

He'll let Muscat win the fight, get a dodgy doctor to sign off on a statement saying he can no longer play football due to injuries sustained, take Muscat to court for all his worth (which would be a decent amount), and a few months later we'll see a news article about a homeless former Socceroo captain being found dead with multiple stab wounds. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

He'll let Muscat win the fight, get a dodgy doctor to sign off on a statement saying he can no longer play football due to injuries sustained, take Muscat to court for all his worth (which would be a decent amount), and a few months later we'll see a news article about a homeless former Socceroo captain being found dead with multiple stab wounds. 

He wouldn't even be found...

• Like 1

On 24/09/2016 at 2:15 AM, KSK_47 said:

It usually goes- start slow, then have a good run in December where we all get excited and think we are finally going to win something, then drop off miserably at the business end. Followed by us getting excited about getting a better manager only to find out jvs has a new contract in the off season. 

Yeah, sorry - I forgot about the slow start.

• Like 1