Melbourne Football

Friendly v. Newcastle Sun 18 Sep 3:00pm Morshead Park

Deluka

50 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I don't mind the scoreline. Our youth team vs a full strength Newcastle side, what else can you expect

Nothing. Fundamentally, barring any outstanding individual performances, a waste of time. Just giving Newcastle some pre-season scoring practice.

Edited by jw1739

I went to the game today, disappointing crowd but an expected one given that City had come out and said through the week pretty much no senior players would feature. Caceres, Muscat, Bouzanis and Retre were pretty much the only players with senior experience to play whilst Arzani and Tongyik also played from the actual 1st list. Newcastle went in at pretty much full strength, Jack duncan started in front of Ben Kennedy in goals but other than that it was full steam ahead.

City started the stronger and for the majority of the first 35 minutes City controlled possesion into the breeze, although they also created precious few forward thrusts. Bouzanis produced a good save on about 35' and then Newcastle had the better of the next 10 although I'd hardly say they had a wealth of chances. 
Newy went in with two goals from three chances at the break and certainly the second goal at least started from a city gift out of defence. Without a doubt Caceres and number 8 (Arzani?) stood out in the first half.

Second half with the breeze we looked much more likely to score and Crowley put one into the side netting and then just came up short in the first 10 minutes. As the half wore on and Retre, Arzani and Caceres were subbed out we dropped off although we still were able to limit the chances conceded. Even to full time I'd still argue that City had more possession and Newcastle were instructed to play on the counter.

All four of their goals were pretty much identical; the striker getting played in from a City turnover then laying a square ball across for an easy tap in goal for whoever happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Given the line up it was an expected, perhaps slightly worse result, but a better performance than I'd have thought. Our insistence to play out from the back yet have a refusal to play a through ball in the attacking third was clear as mud and probably typical of any JVS side. We were slow and predictable yet confident on the ball, which made it all the more frustrating.

Still as the line up consisted of blokes that, aside from Caceres and Muscat, wont feature in the season proper the result is not highly relevant whatsoever. 

• Like 4

Sorry, but to do that you should play an NPL side. All we've done today is give Newcastle an opportunity to have some target practice ready for the season proper. Our pre-season should be about us, not about providing easy practice for other A-League teams and players such as Nordstrand and Krishna. We have an important match on Wednesday, and as far as that match is concerned today has been of no use whatsoever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sorry, but to do that you should play an NPL side. All we've done today is give Newcastle an opportunity to have some target practice ready for the season proper. Our pre-season should be about us, not about providing easy practice for other A-League teams and players such as Nordstrand and Krishna. We have an important match on Wednesday, and as far as that match is concerned today has been of no use whatsoever.

Charging people to come watch was a nice touch too

I reckon what happened was that we arranged this friendly with the intention to give first teamers a run, but the FFA Cup draw changed all of that and with everything all book we had to follow through with it. 

Fair to say Muscat, Caceres and Retre will all be on the bench come wednesday...which would suggest Brandan will be starting.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

All four of their goals were pretty much identical; the striker getting played in from a City turnover then laying a square ball across for an easy tap in goal for whoever happened to be in the right place at the right time.

So were the errors that caused the turnovers and goals due to the young players not clearing out of defence or midfield turnovers? Was it due to tactical errors or just basic errors and player inexperience?

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well we got to expose some youth players to A-League opposition, even though it is a friendly that still provides some insight into wether they are worth giving an opportunity to during the season proper.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So were the errors that caused the turnovers and goals due to the young players not clearing out of defence or midfield turnovers? Was it due to tactical errors or just basic errors and player inexperience?

They were more errors by the midfield in deep areas that left everyone caught out when the ball changed hands. Except the 2nd, that was a shit goal kick from Bouzanis.

Gave us a look at some of the youngsters.  Quite liked the look of Tongyik, he may make a decent player.  Had the talent to find time on the ball and cleared up trouble.  The lad playing right wing (7) worked hard, found space and was quick.  Could have had a goal towards the end.  The no 3 also made a couple of good runs.  Bouzanis made a couple of good saves.  The lad who came on and played on the left of midfield (36 or 37) also looked to have some talent too.  Ballarat is cold and the pitch was very short...

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

No. But a system that consistently results in defensive weakness when ever we lose possession is bad tactics.

So maybe it would have been better to play a defensive system with 2nd tier players and not really allow them to practice game day tactics in a practice game. Seem pretty counter-productive for player development.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So maybe it would have been better to play a defensive system with 2nd tier players and not really allow them to practice game day tactics in a practice game. Seem pretty counter-productive for player development.

Fuck me dead. I have had this same conversation every year for the past seven years now. No matter the players, jvs teams always show the same fundamental flaws. Making excuses for a coach that makes the same errors again and again seems more counterproductive to me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Fuck me dead. I have had this same conversation every year for the past seven years now. No matter the players, jvs teams always show the same fundamental flaws. Making excuses for a coach that makes the same errors again and again seems more counterproductive to me.

On the bright side, when they sack this clown and we dominate this league harder than Bayern dominate the Bundesliga we'll be so vindicated.

• Like 1