Melbourne Football

#startwalker

marteaux

Exactly - He should be there on merit instead of Hoff...

The point of signing him to a senior one year contract - Is to show Zac that we have faith in his efforts of becoming a more all rounded player and hoping he will repay us for giving him his proper professional contract.

I think people have to remember that NYL players basically get paid nothing – I have heard during last season one of our better young prospects was even working at KFC to get by...

Have we not learnt from last season that you don't sign up players on your senior list unless you have to? Last year having guys like Taseski and Ibrahim meant that we were never a fighting chance of signing Madaschi. Don't underestimate how valuabl those senior spots are to our squad. As for showing faith in Zac we would be doing so by giving him a NYL contract and possibly a game or two if he deserves it.

The real question we should be asking is 'how many goals can he score?' This guy can score, and regularly. He's a natural box predator.

Well if we see him as a regular goalscorer who will play frequently and thus score frequently why do we need Tadic and Macallister? The answer is we don't see him as being a regular senior player...yet.

Really need to sign at least 1 of the youth team lads to a professional contract at the end of each season, it's 1 spot of 23 on minimum wages and will hopefully pay divedends like Behich, Zahra, etc who came in and proved themselves. Surely either of the Walkers has more of a future than a few of the guys we've had on professional terms in the past 2 seasons, Tomic, Ibrahim, Hoffman, etc.

I agree we've made some average signings who youth players may have been better than, but they are the same type of players these youth players are. You say Ibrahim was a waste, but Ibrahim fits the exact same profile our NYL players do. Young with potential, but hasn't proven he will be in our match day squad anytime soon and certainly hasn't proven himself at that level thus far.

There is nothing wrong with signing all these young guys as NYL players, thats what it's for. If they look the goods then play them in the A-League, and if they are impressive there then sign them onto senior contracts. But only then, don't sig them up on what ifs otherwise you end up with 5 spots in the squad wasted on fringe players while you miss out on a Madaschi cause your squad is full.

As I've often heard on AFL forums, in supporters eyes it is better to be young than good. In reality, many of the young players, full of potential as they may be, won't make it and we don't want to be the club that wastes it's senior spots on NYL players.

*as a disclaimer, I am all for Walker to be played during the year if his form warrants it. I just don't think he needs to be signed up as a senior player yet.

• Like 1

The thing that is hard for clubs and the individual is that players that come to Melbourne from outside Melbourne have to pay rent and have living expenses as well. So $600 odd dollars a month on a youth wage is cutting things close. So if the player has great potential he will obviously be training with the first team as well, which minimises his chance to work part time to pay the bills. I understand that if he wants it bad enough then you go through whatever you have to do to make it. But if we take too long to sign a player like Walker then another club will come calling and we could lose him.

But of course he has to prove himself on the A-League stage first. Good luck to him, he certainly proved he can score goals. Hope he gets his chance.

I had not seen anything of Zac Walker before watching the video of him during the footage provided by MFootball (Thankyou guys).

He looks the goods as an out and out striker. It would be good if we could sign him, even if it means on youth wages and maybe give him some more work around the club answering phones or keeping the MHFC website up to date with match reports, highlights, interviews etc. to give him a living without taking up a senior spot.

Have we not learnt from last season that you don't sign up players on your senior list unless you have to? Last year having guys like Taseski and Ibrahim meant that we were never a fighting chance of signing Madaschi. Don't underestimate how valuabl those senior spots are to our squad. As for showing faith in Zac we would be doing so by giving him a NYL contract and possibly a game or two if he deserves it.

Well if we see him as a regular goalscorer who will play frequently and thus score frequently why do we need Tadic and Macallister? The answer is we don't see him as being a regular senior player...yet.

I agree we've made some average signings who youth players may have been better than, but they are the same type of players these youth players are. You say Ibrahim was a waste, but Ibrahim fits the exact same profile our NYL players do. Young with potential, but hasn't proven he will be in our match day squad anytime soon and certainly hasn't proven himself at that level thus far.

There is nothing wrong with signing all these young guys as NYL players, thats what it's for. If they look the goods then play them in the A-League, and if they are impressive there then sign them onto senior contracts. But only then, don't sig them up on what ifs otherwise you end up with 5 spots in the squad wasted on fringe players while you miss out on a Madaschi cause your squad is full.

As I've often heard on AFL forums, in supporters eyes it is better to be young than good. In reality, many of the young players, full of potential as they may be, won't make it and we don't want to be the club that wastes it's senior spots on NYL players.

*as a disclaimer, I am all for Walker to be played during the year if his form warrants it. I just don't think he needs to be signed up as a senior player yet.

Post of the year.

Thank goodness there's someone else on here who can do the equations.

He's a box poacher, this is what we were missing last season. It all depends on whether JA/JD sees Tadic and Macallister offering this.

We won't be signing another no. 9. JD/JA know that unless we sign a decent attacking midfielder and at least one winger who can cross, the ball won't be in the bloody box in the first place.

We're hardly into the pre-season with two games against virtually junior teams. Already it's obvious that we're short in the areas I've mentioned. We've got two players who on present form are not worthy of an A-League place, four players still doing light training, and Thommo lasted 17 minutes into Wednesday's game before taking another knock.

Without triallists and out-of-contract NYL players we could barely field a match squad on Wednesday.

The areas that need addressing are fairly obvious to me.

Rant over.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

We won't be signing another no. 9. JD/JA know that unless we sign a decent attacking midfielder and at least one winger who can cross, the ball won't be in the bloody box in the first place

Been saying that for a while. We need another Fred and an actual LW

We've got two players who on present form are not worthy of an A-League place

Hoffman and who? If you're talking about Williams you're being a little unfair. He's pretty much back in shape and we should give him every chance to redeem himself. Hoff on the other hand is a lost cause.

• Like 1

Hoffman and who? If you're talking about Williams you're being a little unfair. He's pretty much back in shape and we should give him every chance to redeem himself. Hoff on the other hand is a lost cause.

I did say in both cases 'on present form.' And I don't resile from that. IMO, on the form demonstrated last Wednesday neither of the named players deserve to be in an A-League match squad. I say again, forget the scoreline. In the second half we were up against virtually the youth side of a club two tiers below us in the hierarchy.

However, let's move on. What's important is that we get accomplished players for the two positions that we agree on.

How old is Zac Walker? Is there an upper age limit for a youth contract?

There is. It used to be - and I stress 'used to be' - that the player had to be under 21 on the 1st January in which the season started.

However, there was some talk about that being changed to be under 20 on the day in question.

'Fraid I don't have the references any more.

The thing that is hard for clubs and the individual is that players that come to Melbourne from outside Melbourne have to pay rent and have living expenses as well. So $600 odd dollars a month on a youth wage is cutting things close. So if the player has great potential he will obviously be training with the first team as well, which minimises his chance to work part time to pay the bills.

I would hope our club is organised enough to arrange accomodation (ie billet or similar) for these young guys so that, whilst they mighn't get rich, they have a roof over their head AND they have a stable home life that is not too distracting from their football.

Walker displaying Heart

Aug. 8, 2012, midnight

251a6b07-26a9-490f-a719-82dd68e32e1c.jpg

MELBOURNE Heart officials have lavished praise on Border product Zac Walker, after the young striker scored two goals for the A-League club’s senior team.

The former Twin City forward has stepped up his pursuit of a professional contract, scoring a second-half brace after coming on as a substitute in last week’s 8-0 hiding of State League 1 side Port Melbourne Sharks.

Heart plans to sign at least two more players before the season and the club’s general manager of football operations, John Didulica, said Walker’s performance hadn’t gone unnoticed.

“Both of Zac’s goals were really nicely taken and reinforced to us that Zac has natural ability as a goalscorer,” Didulica said yesterday.

“We think he still needs to develop his game in order to step up to a professional level, but we certainly see something in him and would like to continue working with him to ensure he can develop all areas of his game.”

Walker, a standout for the club’s youth team last season, has been training with the senior squad for about a month as the club tries to copy Dutch club AZ Alkmaar by having senior and youth players train together.

The 20-year-old, who has been playing in the Victorian Premier League with Oakleigh Cannons, will be hoping he can continue his fine form tonight in Heart’s friendly against Melbourne Knights.

Walker said he had been happy with his form and fitness, but knows he has plenty of work to do.

“It’s going really well,” he said.

“I’m just doing as much as I can.

“I am improving a lot and my fitness is really good, but there’s always room for improvement.

“My first half of the season was very poor.

“I started playing a lot more ... and I’m starting to score goals

“I’m hoping I get signed, it’s my dream to be a professional.

“I just need to keep the right attitude and hopefully good things will happen.”

Heart is leaving no stone unturned under new coach John Aloisi.

It recently signed highly rated former Australian Institute of Sport head coach Ron Smith as technical adviser and has former professionals Hayden Foxe and Joey Didulica, John’s brother, on its books.

The club opens its season on October 5 against Melbourne Victory at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/182136/walker-displaying-heart/?src=rss

Edited by Murfy1

Havent really seen walker, but i think the most ideal situation would have to be getting him on another youth contract. As he would be training with the youth squad anyway, learning from macalister and tadic who have considerable experience as opposed to zac, and play in a diff style from what ive seen, as well as learning from JA, hopefully he will improve this season probably just as much this season as he would if he were given a senior contract. IMO i would prefer a quality LW or backup AM as opposed to a second/third striker on a senior contract.

Thought he lacked presence last night. NYL contract for sure, probably nothing more.

He was being used as a target man when he came on, type of player that needs to play alongside another striker, similar to Scott McDonald. Didn't do anything last night but he has no service.

He has done nothing all year when he has been in the VPL. It's funny how all his goals have all come against really poor opposition. Hes useless tesla. Watch him properly

You really are a tard - I know he at least scored a really fast double in one VPL game for Chokleigh...

LOL Ye I am a tard for voicing my opinion. He has scored 3 goals in 15 matches at VPL level this season. Imagine him at A-league level. You think because he scores against 16 year olds in the NYL he is a good player. Last night proved that against decent opposition he's useless

Edited by christian7

LOL Ye I am a tard for voicing my opinion. He has scored 3 goals in 15 matches at VPL level this season. Imagine him at A-league level. You think because he scores against 16 year olds in the NYL he is a good player. Last night proved that against decent opposition he's useless

No - You are a tard because u voice opinions that could only come from a brain that is literally severely retarded.

And this comes from someone who could not give a fuck about your monthly Transfer fights with the club’s paid for Flog Squad that lives on this Forum, Twitter and what ever webpages they have created of late.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

I don't know why we're going on about this.

Zac is not going to be offered a senior contract for 2012-13. JA is quoted as saying that we have five strikers in our current squad. Why would he want to add another one? It's really got nothing to do with last night or past performances.

Edit: From the article on Josip Tadic in that thread: 'He's very mobile, he can play anywhere along the front three, can hold up the ball, and technically he's very good. We have got five strikers now, all of whom are different and he's going to be a key player for us,'' the Heart boss said.

While Dylan Macallister is more of a traditional target man, Tadic will complement Mate Dugandzic, new signing Golgol Mebrahtu and David Williams, the one-time Socceroo who needs a good season to relaunch his career. ''I am very happy with [the] firepower we have got,'' Aloisi said.'

Zac will be offered an NYL contract, and if he accepts that, then he is available for the A-League if the situation demands it.

Discussion over.

Edited by jw1739

Regardless of name calling and insults :blink: Zac is a good player who I believe has the goods.

Yes we do have a quota of strikers already, just don't complain if he signs for someone else (on a senior contract) later in the year (and if he performs well in our NYL side).

The questions will be then, why didn't we sign him when we had the chance.

If he performs well in our youth side, he will get a call up when needed. If Zac performs well when he gets his chance then the club will sign him.

All else at this stage is pure scenarios.

Just dont make the mistake with Walker like we did Goodwin. It is smart by the club to keep a senior spot open in the roster for such cases.

• 4 months later...

What I posted in the NYL Team Thread:

TBH I think a lot of the "Start Zac Walker" ppl on this forum actually have not seen Zac play as despite the obvious positives there are also some obvious negatives about his game:

First of all, despite his great knack for poaching goals his straight out not creative enough in his passing as a number 10 even for NYL Level let alone A League Level.

Then he has yet to really show he prove himself as Number 9 at the start of NYL games (When older defenders tend to be on the field) or at VPL Level.

He has also shown that a lot of his best attributes are simply not abled to be displayed when he is played in an attacking wing position.

Edited by cadete

Good move for the kid. Hopefully he'll show his worth in the VPL and finally get his shot at the senior team next year. Scott Munn has often said that he is a 'work in progress' sort of player, and if anyone knows his ability it'd be John Aloisi having worked with him in S1 of our NYL team.

Get in Ziggggggy

What I posted in the NYL Team Thread:

TBH I think a lot of the "Start Zac Walker" ppl on this forum actually have not seen Zac play as despite the obvious positives there are also some obvious negatives about his game:

First of all, despite his great knack for poaching goals his straight out not creative enough in his passing as a number 10 even for NYL Level let alone A League Level.

Then he has yet to really show he prove himself as Number 10 at the start of NYL games (When older defenders tend to be on the field) or at VPL Level.

He has also shown that a lot of his best attributes are simply not abled to be displayed when he is played in an attacking wing position.

I've seen him in every NYL home game last season and away in Brisbane. Yes I agree that his game needs development however even at this stage he's got a great natural instinct for scoring. I see him more as a number 9 than a 10. It would be a shame to wait until he was 'fully developed' (if ever) before he gets a senior game.