Melbourne Football

**Melburnians - New Home Pub**

Embee

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough, I've changed jobs in the offseason and now work a short walk from the Imperial.

What's the plan for pre/post match at Mountain View? I'll have an hour or two to kill after work so might as well go there if it's going to be easy enough to get a meal and there will be a good atmosphere. And if City wins, the View will be good for a quick pint, as the Hurstbridge line times it so for a 7:50 kick off, you'd probably miss the 9:53 train by a couple of minutes, unless you sprint out the door as soon as the final whistle goes.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Dont get me wrong its a nice pub but it doesnt feel like "City's" pub if ya catch my drift. It feels like in walking into a pub on a saturday arvo. Bev and Micks is awsome with the chanting and shit! As much of a dive that it is. 

Yeh i get what you're saying, it's perhaps a bit too segregated but i still reckon its heaps better overall all things considered.
Bev n Micks' is great pre-derby, but it would be shithouse for a normal home game with a quarter of the people there. Plus its on the other side of the city.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Yeh i get what you're saying, it's perhaps a bit too segregated but i still reckon its heaps better overall all things considered.
Bev n Micks' is great pre-derby, but it would be shithouse for a normal home game with a quarter of the people there. Plus its on the other side of the city.

Segregated is exactly the word. But it also seems less people are going. 

Spot on with Bev and Micks.

1 minute ago, HeartOfCity said:

Segregated is exactly the word. But it also seems less people are going. 

Spot on with Bev and Micks.

Nah no way, there's def more at the Mt View than there was at the Imp over the last few seasons. Perhaps a bit harder to tell because they are spread out across the three levels, but definitely more.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

The Mt. View has just less ambiance as the fans are spread out over 3 levels, and the lack of one main screen to watch games on.

Secondly the location is an issue for some (it is for me and my friends), in regards to proximity to Aami and the main Richmond train station. You will find more fans hanging out on Swan Street on match days. If the City fan was on Swan you will get a bigger crowd.

Does somebody from the Melburnians group know why a pub on Swan street wasn't approached?

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The Mt. View has just less ambiance as the fans are spread out over 3 levels, and the lack of one main screen to watch games on.

Secondly the location is an issue for some (it is for me and my friends), in regards to proximity to Aami and the main Richmond train station. You will find more fans hanging out on Swan Street on match days. If the City fan was on Swan you will get a bigger crowd.

Does somebody from the Melburnians group know why a pub on Swan street wasn't approached?

I think taking into consideration the location of the imp this is pretty good

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

If we have a friday night game and running late from work this is where i meet a few mates directly across the road from Richmond station. Cant go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I think the starting point to such a discussion would be that MVFC fans well before Heart's time made every decent Pub on Swan Street ban Soccer fans... As for Melburnians enquiring at Pubs in the area - I would not know.

But something I will say about Pubs and Soccer Fans is that if you find a Pub like The Mt View that will take a Soccer Group on board then you should probably be grateful as Publicains and A-League Fans dont mix very well.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

I think the starting point to such a discussion would be that MVFC fans well before Heart's time made every decent Pub on Swan Street ban Soccer fans... As for Melburnians enquiring at Pubs in the area - I would not know.

But something I will say about Pubs and Soccer Fans is that if you find a Pub like The Mt View that will take a Soccer Group on board then you should probably be grateful as Publicains and A-League Fans dont mix very well.

Yea nobody on Swan St will have a bar of football fans

FWIW  on your second point the manager of the View is an active member and gets down to games.

27 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yea nobody on Swan St will have a bar of football fans

FWIW  on your second point the manager of the View is an active member and gets down to games.

Ah I see, that makes it hard if we arent welcome....

I just see so many city fans on Swan street pre game hence I asked, it seems just a little more convenient for some. I agree that the Mt is better located that then imp.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Ah I see, that makes it hard if we arent welcome....

I just see so many city fans on Swan street pre game hence I asked, it seems just a little more convenient for some. I agree that the Mt is better located that then imp.

Small groups are tolerated but large organised events... not so much. I wasn't part of the leadership group anymore by the time we had to choose a new pub, but I can guarantee they did their due diligence. Interesting to note it was a  staff member of the club that suggested the View.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Fantastic democratic response lol.

Haha just trying to change the way you think about the problems.

I'm not involved with Melburnians leadership anymore but what Cadete said is spot on, most pubs dont want anything to do with the formal fan groups because of the associated trouble. I'm sure City/Heart fans that have been around a while can recall numerous occassions where Victory casuals have turned up to the pub looking for trouble.

A lot of the Swan St pubs will have A League fans in them pre game and its the fans prerogative where they go, but the active fan groups can't promote a pub or organise discounts when they aren't wanted. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey guys just wondering here, is somebody close to the Melburnians available to give us a little insight;

1. Have we officially move pubs again? What happened with the old one?
  2. What happened to the old leadership, was there a leadership spell, do we have two camps now - what's happening? 

Very little is known or being communicated, with a little more background info it will help other active fans to understand.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Hey guys just wondering here, is somebody close to the Melburnians available to give us a little insight;

1. Have we officially move pubs again? What happened with the old one?
  2. What happened to the old leadership, was there a leadership spell, do we have two camps now - what's happening? 

Very little is known or being communicated, with a little more background info it will help other active fans to understand.

Huge violent confrontation apparently they have a planned fight on goschs tonight 

• Jimmy unpinned this topic